Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 Voluntary Award Change: date, time, routing, airline, co-terminal, cost

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Voluntary Award Changes Questionsfor carrier, co-terminal, date, destination, add / drop a segment, origin, routing, cancellation
AAnytime <-> MileSAAver and other changes

Link to the current thread.

NOTE: For involuntary award changes (caused by the operating carriers), see Involuntary Award Changes / What To Do (merged threads).

Ordinarily, one must call to request or make changes to award tickets.

Award changes, ordinary

NOTE: More extensive listing of terms and conditions are listed in oneworld and other all partner awards rules, Information 2015 on

Award carrier, connection, date or routing changes: As long as origin and destination (but read on for exceptions such as first / last segment) remain the same, change / award redeposit fees are usually waived for awards under certain circumstances when date, connection, routing or carrier changes are made But:
Airline / carrier changes incur no change or redeposit fees as long as you do not try to change between all AA oneworld airlines and non-oneworld airlines or vice versa.

E.g. an AA award such as SEA-HNL-SYD using AS can not be changed to use JL without requiring award redeposit. An award using AA LAX-HKG can be changed to JL via NRT or CX Without redeposit ing miles.

If Maximum Permitted Miles (usually 125% of the most direct available routing) for an award is exceeded, two awards may be charged

or

MSC fare requirements: The most significant or prevailing carrier, usually the one with the transoceanic sector, must offer an unconstructed fare between desired origin and destination; if a fare would require "married segments", two awards may be required.
Award validity: Awards must be used within one year of original booking. For travel beyond that, the award miles will have to be redeposited and new awards secured.

Award cancellations can be by phone or online, but online cancellation requires separate action to reinstate the miles. Canceling online does not request or result in miles redeposit.

Award miles reinstatement: Redeposit fees are waived for Executive Platinum members. See here for more information on award miles reinstatement.

"Upgrading" class of service by using miles requires redepositing the original award and issuing a new one for the higher class if service. AA will waive the deposit fee on the redeposited award, and will not charge for this. (However, taxes may differ, such as going from the discounted U.K. Air Passenger Duty to the full APD if upgrading from Y / PE to J; if there are higher taxes and fees imposed by the new fare, the passenger is charged for those.)

Co-terminals: For award purposes, there are no co-terminals; changing co-terminal airports (MIA and FLL, PBI; JFK, LGA, EWR etc.) will incur a $150 change fee. See this thread for detail on award miles redeposit.

An award using AS, FJ, HA or TN to South Pacific (e.g. AKL, SYD) can not be changed to AA or QF without requiring award redeposit (or vice versa).

Dropping segments: Awards made on AA or / and "all partner" carriers will allow changes mentioned above without requiring redeposit fees. Instances of dropping an origin segment can be allowed, or a final segment - as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards); changing the mileage (miles required) of the award claimed or the number of awards claimed.

Segments can be dropped as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards). If you are refused, refer agents to the in-house memo/advisory dated 02/03/11 entitled "Dropping OWFA segments." (guv1976)

As JonNYC posted:

This document was current as of December 2014:

For permitted changes and fees, see this post in the airline partner award thread.

See TravelingBetter.com here and illustrations here.

If the award is AA and oneworld, changes may be made as long as the main / governing /Most Significant Carrier makes an unconstructed fare on the award routing and the governing fare's carrier is not changed to one not offering such a fare.

Close-in booking fee: Changes made to bring travel to under 21 days from award issue will incur close-in booking fees of $75.

Schedule changes: On international awards, schedule changes of two hours or longer, or those breaking connections by bringing them below MCT / minimum connection times, flight cancellations, generally may be cancelled and redeposited without fees, or engender greater flexibility in changes. With AA awards, it is possible award seating may be opened when there is none; with partners, AA can appeal to the Liaison to the partner to open seating in these cases (the partner airline may or may not grant the exception requested). Equipment change constitutes a schedule change and you will be able to get the fee waived pre this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Partner changes: If the award includes non-oneworld partners such as AS, EY, FJ or TN, or a oneworld carrier award is changed to include a non-oneworld carrier, or vice versa, significant fees will be incurred ($150).

"Upgrading" class of service by using miles requires redepositing the original award and issuing a new one for the higher class if service. AA will waive the deposit fee on the redeposited award, and will not charge for this. (However, taxes may differ, such as going from the discounted U.K. Air Passenger Duty to the full APD if upgrading from Y / PE to J; if there are higher taxes abd fees imposed by the new fare, the passenger is charged for those.)

Changes that require different award type -

Changes to the itinerary which involve different AAdvantage award(s) than originally ticketed require a reinstatement of the original award ticket, payment of the applicable award reinstatement charge (see below), and a new award ticket issued (waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account). However, SAAver awards canceled for AAnytime awards, or changing to a higher class of service, will not incur redeposit fees.

Changes to your outbound travel date, resulting in a departure within 21 days -

Close-in booking fee: A $75 USD award processing charge will apply for a confirmed change to the date on an AAdvantage MileSAAver and AAnytime award ticket if the change results in a new outbound travel date that is within 21 days of the original booking date (waived for AAdvantage elite members using miles from their account).

Contact AAdvantage Reservations to change your itinerary, pay the applicable charge and have your ticket reissued prior to travel.

Canceling Awards / Reinstating Award Tickets
(Waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account)

Award class changes: MileSAAver to AAnytime changes generally incur no fees; conversely, AAnytime to MileSAAver awards generally will.

Award cabin class "upgrades" (e.g. Y to J): If the change made is an increase of miles to another cabin class, fees are not normally charged (but some government required fees such as UK Air Passenger Duty, airport passenger facility fees, etc. may change).

Redepositing awards incurs a fee of $150 other than for Executive Platinum members redepositing to their accounts. If two or more awards are being redeposited to the same account at the same time, the fees are $150 for the first award, $25 for every award thereafter. Note the awards do not have to share the same PNR, though some less knowledgeable agents will insist so.

Note: given a 120 hr / 5 day hold is offered, there is no right to “Free” cancellation (without redeposit) within 24 hours of securing the award. OTOH, mere date changes to a year from Booking are free of charge in most instances.

Please see: State of the award reinstatement fee (Nov 2015 - clarifying)

FAQ: Cancel award ticket / cancellation (time frame, taxes, etc.) (merged threads)

Link to ARCHIVE 2015-2016: Award Change for date, time, routing, co-terminal, cost, all changes.

Link to ARCHIVE 2012-14: Award Change for date, time, routing, co-terminal, cost, all changes.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Voluntary Award Change: date, time, routing, airline, co-terminal, cost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Award changes - what is "same destination"?

I've got milesaver awards HNL-LAX in February. Now I see an HNL-PHX-ONT option, which would actually be more convenient.

Does anyone know whether the Los Angeles airports are considered "same destination" for award changes?
Old Oct 29, 2017, 1:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by siankaan1
I've got milesaver awards HNL-LAX in February. Now I see an HNL-PHX-ONT option, which would actually be more convenient.

Does anyone know whether the Los Angeles airports are considered "same destination" for award changes?
Please read the Wikipostfor the answer (you'll need to redeposit and secure a new award - awards do not allow co-terminals).

/Moderator
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: QF Gold, Accor Plat, Hyatt plat, HH diam, SPG Gold
I currently hold 2 QR business tickets BUD-SYD in April. I need to change the flights to August but for the moment nothing is opening up in business.
I’ve however found a BUD-HEL-SYD (AY-QF). I don’t actually need to be in BUD. Would I be able to change to BUD-HEL-SYD and later drop the BUD-HEL section without change fee.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Margouille
I currently hold 2 QR business tickets BUD-SYD in April. I need to change the flights to August but for the moment nothing is opening up in business.
I’ve however found a BUD-HEL-SYD (AY-QF). I don’t actually need to be in BUD. Would I be able to change to BUD-HEL-SYD and later drop the BUD-HEL section without change fee.
No: dropping the BUD-HEL segment would change the award's country of origin, which triggers the change fee.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
No: dropping the BUD-HEL segment would change the award's country of origin, which triggers the change fee.
Ok thanks. Was hoping that as long as the departure was in the same zone it would work.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:23 pm

I'm booking an award ticket (SYD-LAX) on Economy AAnytime (70k miles), and now I need to change the date. I called AA, and they have the same flight on Economy AAnytime, but it is priced as 90k. The agent asked me to pay additional 20k to make the change. I want to ask if this is how it works. Even if the changes are with same award level, I still have to pay the miles difference?
If that's how it works, can I wait until the day I booked is repriced 90k (due to less inventory?), then call them to change it without paying additional miles? Thanks!

Last edited by kwok007; Nov 17, 2017 at 8:33 pm
Old Nov 24, 2017, 1:30 am

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
Changing Award Carrier

Hi -- I booked an AAdvantage award on Qatar Airways. I would like to change that to Finnair, leaving origin and destination and date unchanged. Would I be able to do that without being charged a 150 USD fee? I am traveling right now and don't have cell service to call American. Thanks.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:27 am

Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page in this existing thread,where we have merged your query.

/Moderator
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
Thanks. But i am reading conflicting information. Some say I can change as long as I stay with a oneworld carrier. Others say, I cannot without a fee. What is it though?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flyinghigh77
Thanks. But i am reading conflicting information. Some say I can change as long as I stay with a oneworld carrier. Others say, I cannot without a fee. What is it though?
Learn to recognize & use reliable sources. The Wiki is correct. Here is the relevant sentence:

As long as origin and destination (but read on for exceptions such as first / last segment) remain the same, change / award redeposit fees are usually waived for awards under certain circumstances when date, connection, routing or carrier changes are made - as long as you do not try to change between all AA oneworld awards and non-oneworld partner airlines.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:58 am

I recommended the Wiki because it has been vetted. I have no idea which “they” are misinforming you from m your post.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 1:16 pm

Hi -- I booked an AAdvantage award on Qatar Airways. I would like to change that to Finnair, leaving origin and destination and date unchanged. Would I be able to do that without being charged a 150 USD fee? I am traveling right now and don't have cell service to call American. Thanks.
I was able to do this without fee recent, even changed the date.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CX GO, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Hi there,

I have booked an award on JAL SFO to HND in Business for two passengers, but first class has opened up the day before. This requires 40,000 more miles. Does American cancel the original booking, redeposit and then book the award new - or does they just take the 40,000 from my account as a top up?

Just wondering because the time lag between redeposit and then booking again could be extended. I haven't found American to be that great when it comes to redeposit.

All help and insights greatly appreciated.

David
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:42 pm

Is it okay to change passengers when applying the award used for a previously cancelled ticket for which the miles were not redeposited as long as the city pair is the same? Or must the passengers be the same as well?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dldkjones
Is it okay to change passengers when applying the award used for a previously cancelled ticket for which the miles were not redeposited as long as the city pair is the same? Or must the passengers be the same as well?
I doubt it.

While I think your earlier questions have mostly been addressed, to re-phrase more simply perhaps -- whether you redeposit the miles and book a new ticket, or change the cities on an existing ticket there's a $150 fee. And in reality, in both cases, the miles are redeposited and a new award/ticket is issued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.