Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Priority Boarding doesn't work at new DFW "A" gates - no stanchion belts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2016, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold

Priority Boarding at DFW Terminal A's new gates really doesn't work.

The stanchions separating the main and priority lanes have fix clear panels and there are two scanners - one for each lane. But there is no belt to close off a lane.

My experience is that the priority line is the outer lane and the gate agents usually still only use the counter connected scanner ( and not the outer scanner).

Hence when First and priority boarding is announced, people just cut in line from the main lane which includes people headed back to coach.

AA really needs to put belts back on the stanchions to block the main lane during priority boarding.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
AA's stanchion/belt use/deployment has always been haphazard, depending upon airport. However, I have noticed this getting more consistent in recent months.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Not that priority is enforced much of the time, many times they announce F and I end up at the end of a line to board - when I get on the plane there are one or two people getting their stuff settled in first and two to three people wandering to their seats in coach.

Not that it matters (and this off topic), but it amazes me how many people wander up to board when they announce first when they clearly know that they aren't in first.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Not that priority is enforced much of the time, many times they announce F and I end up at the end of a line to board - when I get on the plane there are one or two people getting their stuff settled in first and two to three people wandering to their seats in coach.

Not that it matters (and this off topic), but it amazes me how many people wander up to board when they announce first when they clearly know that they aren't in first.
this and people who walk up to the gate agent and ask "are they boarding yet" when there clearly is nobody standing in line and everyone is still sitting down with the door closed lol.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 7:14 pm
E55

I've stopped selecting bulkhead F seats out of DFW because of this. No sense in stressing about overhead space.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Probably not many here have experienced this one, but I live at MDE. Buying my J seat that originates from there is not cheap - considering the minimal 319 J space, especially. There are two lines. One is Main Cabin and the other Priority.

Many passengers there have no idea which line is theirs, and Colombians typically think that both boarding and deplaning is a race. (I love Colombians and choose to live there. Just saying...)

By the time Business Class boarding begins (8 seats), there are always at least 30 people lined up in Priority. I'm usually arriving just in time, having spent my time in the Copa Club prior to departure. It's not easy to work my way in without the help of an agent, who always continues to board others in front of me who are not in J.

The one time that I was first in line, a rookie stopped me on the jetbridge and would not let me board because she had no idea what my CPAP was. It's a gamble to board even slightly late, as there are always some people who toss their bags into J overheads on their way back to Y. That was the case by the time I got by her that day.

Unless I want to burn some miles or take a mileage/status run, I now fly on Copa or Avianca. Between the interrogation at the ticket counter, checked baggage embargo twice per year (at least), untrained airport staff and the AA Customs trainwreck at MIA, I would rather just fly Copa or Avianca home from "home." So sad. It need not be this way.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
The point of the thread is that most AA gates have stanchions with belts at the top of the pole. At least in DCA the agents typically close off the main cabin line by pulling the belt over and blocking access so only path initially is the priority line.

But in DFW the new design has stanchions with clear panels between the poles but no belts to block the non-priority lane. And while AA has added two boarding scanners - one being in the middle between the lanes, normally I don't see the agents using that scanner. Hence folks are lined up in the priority lane (outer lane) but the only scanner is the one for non-priority boarding.

Then when they call F and later Elites - some people just come up the non-priority lane and bypass the priority lane - even if they are in F or Elite - basically just cutting in line. These are generally more pushy type people. Problem is the agents don't enforce it.

Solution - AA add belt stanchions to block the non-priority lane when priority is boarding.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Imho. Gate crowding and line jumpers at DFW is more noticeable because of all the elites jockeying for position to board after FC. It happens at all airports. The AAgent working the flight is the key control. Making a firm beginning announcement that boarding is for FC, and leaving some time for FC pax to board. Monitoring and denying boarding for line crashers. And then doing the same for all groups. Some agents do this very well - others not. With that said at almost any station now if I'm in FC - I have to wind my way around and excuse myself by lots of non FC pax who have been lined up in the Priority lane well in advance of boarding being called. Just the reality of flying today. I do agree the new Terminal A gate design is confusing and increases the problem.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by davesam12
The AAgent working the flight is the key control. Making a firm beginning announcement that boarding is for FC, and leaving some time for FC pax to board. Monitoring and denying boarding for line crashers. And then doing the same for all groups. Some agents do this very well - others not. With that said at almost any station now if I'm in FC - I have to wind my way around and excuse myself by lots of non FC pax who have been lined up in the Priority lane well in advance of boarding being called. Just the reality of flying today. I do agree the new Terminal A gate design is confusing and increases the problem.
+1 Interesting management of boarding lately. A large # of non-elites boarding priority. During this past holiday week, quite a few economy boarding with First as well. And no, they weren't military. Gate agents just seem to want to get everyone and anyone on as quickly as possible so very little "go back and wait".
Old Dec 26, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Saw a good one coming home from BCN a few weeks ago. Tons of gate lice decided to not only ignore the GA's remark of boarding priority, but they lined up in the stanchion for priority line. The GA walked over, and spun the sign around making priority flip over to side where the main cabin sign was a moment ago (with nobody in it) and called business class pax. It worked like a charm, we walked right up the open line, and the gate lice were stunned.

It really is all getting out of hand though. I would love to see GA's be more forceful of sending pax back that are trying to jump the que.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
Saw a good one coming home from BCN a few weeks ago. Tons of gate lice decided to not only ignore the GA's remark of boarding priority, but they lined up in the stanchion for priority line. The GA walked over, and spun the sign around making priority flip over to side where the main cabin sign was a moment ago (with nobody in it) and called business class pax. It worked like a charm, we walked right up the open line, and the gate lice were stunned.

It really is all getting out of hand though. I would love to see GA's be more forceful of sending pax back that are trying to jump the que.
^^^
Old Dec 28, 2016, 6:01 pm

Terrible experience at CLT over the Christmas holiday. Gate agent allowed 23 people to board when first class was called, none of those people were in military dress or showed ID, and when I boarded as the 25th person 4 of the 12 first class seats were still empty.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by SpinOn2

That is bloody brilliant! Hula hoop simple and ....ing brilliant. Promote that GA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.