Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015-16 Award change date change route all changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Voluntary Award Changes Questionsfor carrier, co-terminal, date, destination, add / drop a segment, origin, routing, cancellation AAnytime <-> MileSAAver and other changes

See the current thread here, please.

NOTE: For involuntary award changes (caused by the operating carriers), see Involuntary Award Changes / What To Do (merged threads).

Ordinarily, one must call to request or make changes to award tickets.

Award changes, ordinary

NOTE: More extensive listing of terms and conditions are listed in oneworld and other all partner awards rules, Information 2015 on

Award carrier, connection, date or routing changes: As long as origin and destination (but read on for exceptions such as first / last segment) remain the same, change / award redeposit fees are usually waived for awards under certain circumstances when date, connection, routing or carrier changes are made But:
Airline / carrier changes incur no change or redeposit fees as long as you do not try to change between all AA oneworld airlines and non-oneworld airlines or vice versa.

E.g. an AA award such as SEA-HNL-SYD using AS can not be changed to use JL without requiring award redeposit. An award using AA LAX-HKG can be changed to JL via NRT or CX Without redeposit ing miles.

If Maximum Permitted Miles (usually 125% of the most direct available routing) for an award is exceeded, two awards may be charged

or

MSC fare requirements: The most significant or prevailing carrier, usually the one with the transoceanic sector, must offer an unconstructed fare between desired origin and destination; if a fare would require "married segments", two awards may be required.
Award validity: Awards must be used within one year of original booking. For travel beyond that, the award miles will have to be redeposited and new awards secured.

Award cancellations can be by phone or online, but online cancellation requires separate action to reinstate the miles. Canceling online does not request or result in miles redeposit.

Award miles reinstatement: Redeposit fees are waived for Executive Platinum members. See here for more information on award miles reinstatement.

"Upgrading" class of service by using miles requires redepositing the original award and issuing a new one for the higher class if service. AA will waive the deposit fee on the redeposited award, and will not charge for this. (However, taxes may differ, such as going from the discounted U.K. Air Passenger Duty to the full APD if upgrading from Y / PE to J; if there are higher taxes and fees imposed by the new fare, the passenger is charged for those.)

Co-terminals: For award purposes, there are no co-terminals; changing co-terminal airports (MIA and FLL, PBI; JFK, LGA, EWR etc.) will incur a $150 change fee. See this thread for detail on award miles redeposit.

An award using AS, FJ, HA or TN to South Pacific (e.g. AKL, SYD) can not be changed to AA or QF without requiring award redeposit (or vice versa).

Dropping segments: Awards made on AA or / and "all partner" carriers will allow changes mentioned above without requiring redeposit fees. Instances of dropping an origin segment can be allowed, or a final segment - as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards); changing the mileage (miles required) of the award claimed or the number of awards claimed.

Segments can be dropped as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards). If you are refused, refer agents to the in-house memo/advisory dated 02/03/11 entitled "Dropping OWFA segments." (guv1976)

As JonNYC posted:

This document was current as of December 2014:

For permitted changes and fees, see this post in the airline partner award thread.

See TravelingBetter.com here and illustrations here.

If the award is AA and oneworld, changes may be made as long as the main / governing /Most Significant Carrier makes an unconstructed fare on the award routing and the governing fare's carrier is not changed to one not offering such a fare.

Close-in booking fee: Changes made to bring travel to under 21 days from award issue will incur close-in booking fees of $75.

Schedule changes: On international awards, schedule changes of two hours or longer, or those breaking connections by bringing them below MCT / minimum connection times, flight cancellations, generally may be cancelled and redeposited without fees, or engender greater flexibility in changes. With AA awards, it is possible award seating may be opened when there is none; with partners, AA can appeal to the Liaison to the partner to open seating in these cases (the partner airline may or may not grant the exception requested). Equipment change constitutes a schedule change and you will be able to get the fee waived pre this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Partner changes: If the award includes non-oneworld partners such as AS, EY, FJ or TN, or a oneworld carrier award is changed to include a non-oneworld carrier, or vice versa, significant fees will be incurred ($150).

"Upgrading" class of service by using miles requires redepositing the original award and issuing a new one for the higher class if service. AA will waive the deposit fee on the redeposited award, and will not charge for this. (However, taxes may differ, such as going from the discounted U.K. Air Passenger Duty to the full APD if upgrading from Y / PE to J; if there are higher taxes abd fees imposed by the new fare, the passenger is charged for those.)

Changes that require different award type -

Changes to the itinerary which involve different AAdvantage award(s) than originally ticketed require a reinstatement of the original award ticket, payment of the applicable award reinstatement charge (see below), and a new award ticket issued (waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account). However, SAAver awards canceled for AAnytime awards, or changing to a higher class of service, will not incur redeposit fees.

Changes to your outbound travel date, resulting in a departure within 21 days -

Close-in booking fee: A $75 USD award processing charge will apply for a confirmed change to the date on an AAdvantage MileSAAver and AAnytime award ticket if the change results in a new outbound travel date that is within 21 days of the original booking date (waived for AAdvantage elite members using miles from their account).

Contact AAdvantage Reservations to change your itinerary, pay the applicable charge and have your ticket reissued prior to travel.

Canceling Awards / Reinstating Award Tickets
(Waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account)

Award class changes: MileSAAver to AAnytime changes generally incur no fees; conversely, AAnytime to MileSAAver awards generally will.

Award cabin class "upgrades" (e.g. Y to J): If the change made is an increase of miles to another cabin class, fees are not normally charged (but some government required fees such as UK Air Passenger Duty, airport passenger facility fees, etc. may change).

Redepositing awards incurs a fee of $150 other than for Executive Platinum members redepositing to their accounts. If two or more awards are being redeposited to the same account at the same time, the fees are $150 for the first award, $25 for every award thereafter. Note the awards do not have to share the same PNR, though some less knowledgeable agents will insist so.

Note: given a 120 hr / 5 day hold is offered, there is no right to “Free” cancellation (without redeposit) within 24 hours of securing the award. OTOH, mere date changes to a year from Booking are free of charge in most instances.

Please see: State of the award reinstatement fee (Nov 2015 - clarifying)

FAQ: Cancel award ticket / cancellation (time frame, taxes, etc.) (merged threads)

Link to 2012-2014 archive of older posts on this topic

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2015-16 Award change date change route all changes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JonNYC
What was the actual award and what is the re-route?
XXX-LAX AA Y
LAX-NRT AA F
NRT-SIN JL J

to

XXX-DFW AA F
DFW-HKG AA F
HKG-SIN CX J

Where XXX is in North America.

I stress again that this was an involuntary change due to AA's own schedule/equipment change.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by italdesign
Update 2 - supervisor was challenged by someone higher up who agreed with the first agent's action. So I'll have to wait until after the trip to claim the mileage diff, which I'm told has been programmed to auto-trigger after trip completion.

Both I and supervisor disagree with the prevailing opinion, but it seems we ran into bad luck. It is my belief that a friendly CSR would have had the ability to do an even exchange in a case like this.
And what would they have done if you didn't have any more miles in your account? This just doesn't pass the smell test.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CFFrost
Question on what to expect if I call to make a change.

I presently have booked a roundtrip which is booked as an anytime economy award on the outbound (20k domestic) and a saver business on the return (25k).

I want to change to outbound to a saver business one day earlier. Different routing. Same origin and destination.

My initial inclination was that this would require a different award type and would therefore require reinstatement and payment of the $150 fee.

Then I read:
"Award cabin class "upgrades" (e.g. Y to J): If the change made is an increase of miles to another cabin class, fees are not normally charged (but some government required fees such as UK Air Passenger Duty, airport passenger facility fees, etc. may change)."

Does the above only apply if you leave everything else exactly the same? Is it a HUCA situation where you just hope you get the agent that doesn't want the money? Thanks in advance!
I think the fact that you're changing from an Anytime award to a Saver award will require a redeposit and fee.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ijgordon
And what would they have done if you didn't have any more miles in your account? This just doesn't pass the smell test.
Probably would have compelled them to the right decision!

The problem is the first agent opted for redeposit, which is wrong when it qualifies for even exchange. But once they did that, it's hard to undo. The higher up manager agreeing with the 1st agent put the nail on the coffin.

I'm 99% sure the higher up manager is wrong. I can maybe understand the "refund miles later" scheme when it's a voluntary change that somehow doesn't qualify for even exchange but they agree to refund the diff (maybe as a courtesy), but for God's sake this was an involuntary change that did qualify for even exchange.

The most insulting comment was that the higher up said I don't even qualify for the mileage diff refund and that they are doing me a favor by allowing it! I just wanted to slap them when I heard that. There is NO circumstance with this change in which I wouldn't qualify for the mileage diff - even if it was 100% voluntary.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
You can't use codeshare flights for awards. prime flights only -- so you need a LA or AA flight to have saver availability
And how do I find LA Milesaaver? And the only way to find MilesAAver on AA is through AA's website?
Old Nov 9, 2016, 7:09 am

Original ticket at 55K business award US-ASIA2 (Sri Lanka)
DCA-JFK (AA) -- JFK-LAX (AA) -- LAX-HKG (CX) -- HKG-BKK-CMB (UL, thru flight)

I want to change the date to 1 week later and this was the best that I could find.
DCA-LGA (AA Y) -- JFK-HKG (CX) -- HKG-BKK (CX) -- BKK-CMB (UL Y)

I was told that would be 70K miles instead of the original 55K miles. Agent stated only $60 taxes/fees. Because there are voluntary downgrades to Y, then the routing is OK but the new award level is required. She even called her help desk. But did not know the airport code for Bangkok or Colombo or what airline flew to Sri Lanka. Inexperienced agent? Try again? I should be OK, I believe.

UPDATE: Called the next day. Agent not very experienced, but the exchange was made without any extra miles or fees collected. I suspect that the quality of the help desk that agent need is better during normal 9-5 business hours.

Last edited by headinclouds; Nov 10, 2016 at 9:14 am
Old Nov 9, 2016, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by odie11
And how do I find LA Milesaaver? And the only way to find MilesAAver on AA is through AA's website?
AA.com's award search only includes eight of about 25 carriers on which AAdvantage travel can be redeemed.

Making flight award reservations
For travel on:

American Airlines
airberlin
Alaska Airlines
British Airways
Finnair
Hawaiian Airlines
Qantas Airways
Royal Jordanian Airlines
Book award travel

For travel on other airline partners, contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance with booking a flight award ticket. Service charges may apply.

You will need to call to book LAN. There are several 3rd-party tricks/tools to see award inventory on other carriers that should be available with AA miles when you call. Some people use ExpertFlyer, the BA Avios search tool, Qantas accounts...
Old Nov 17, 2016, 3:04 am

AA won't/can't change my award? (to merge)

Booked Lhr/Rdu/Clt, pre devaluation, tried to change it to earlier award availability Lhr/Jfk/Rdu/Clt. Told would require 57.5 k due to extra segment, is this correct?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 3:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by SWEFCO
Booked Lhr/Rdu/Clt, pre devaluation, tried to change it to earlier award availability Lhr/Jfk/Rdu/Clt. Told would require 57.5 k due to extra segment, is this correct?
No
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:16 am

Mmm, rung twice now same reply, the connecting flight is the next day but within 24 hours could that be stopping it?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:20 am

Programs: AA EP
Mmm, rung twice now same reply, the connecting flight is the next day but within 24 hours could that be stopping it?
Tell agent they can't look at what computer is saying on the pricing. They have to call tariff as the itinerary (appears) to meet the requirements of a change -- same o + d. Same award type.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 6:47 am
Suspended

What happens here is it depends what section of the rules they run into first (and/or are most familiar with) when they go looking in the system for guidance. There are contradictory sections on changing awards, and one section states that segments may not be added (only subtracted) on ticketed awards.

But, other sections give different guidance, so, answers will vary widely.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by vballny23
I saw this in the Wiki on 1st page:

Award cabin class "upgrades" (e.g. Y to J): If the change made is an increase of miles to another cabin class, fees are not normally charged

But, if I am booked on an economy anytime award in Y fare (27,500 miles) and see they have opened up Business saver Awards for 25,000 miles under a U fare, I was told there is a fee of $150 since despite "upgrade", it's less miles redeemed. I was going to HUCA, but figured I would ask the experts if that was correct??

Thanks
Does anyone know if switching dates on the same award type (business saver) incurs a fee if the new award costs less miles?

I've booked a business saver from LAX-JFK for 32.5k miles but it has a layover in SF. Ideally, I'm hoping that a nonstop business saver (still LAX-JFK) opens up within the next few months and I've seen some for 25k.

I've searched this thread and AA's website high and low but can't find anything specific to this situation (aside from the $75 fee if changing your date within 21 days of departure). If I missed it I apologize, any help is appreciated.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by formiles
Does anyone know if switching dates on the same award type (business saver) incurs a fee if the new award costs less miles?

I've booked a business saver from LAX-JFK for 32.5k miles but it has a layover in SF. Ideally, I'm hoping that a nonstop business saver (still LAX-JFK) opens up within the next few months and I've seen some for 25k.

I've searched this thread and AA's website high and low but can't find anything specific to this situation (aside from the $75 fee if changing your date within 21 days of departure). If I missed it I apologize, any help is appreciated.
JFK to LAX direct in business is 32.5k. There would be no fee to switch though
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:13 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
Ihave run into that issue on a domestic to domestic connection if it is over four hours. Had to be a separate award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.