Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015-16 Award change date change route all changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Voluntary Award Changes Questionsfor carrier, co-terminal, date, destination, add / drop a segment, origin, routing, cancellation AAnytime <-> MileSAAver and other changes

See the current thread here, please.

NOTE: For involuntary award changes (caused by the operating carriers), see Involuntary Award Changes / What To Do (merged threads).

Ordinarily, one must call to request or make changes to award tickets.

Award changes, ordinary

NOTE: More extensive listing of terms and conditions are listed in oneworld and other all partner awards rules, Information 2015 on

Award carrier, connection, date or routing changes: As long as origin and destination (but read on for exceptions such as first / last segment) remain the same, change / award redeposit fees are usually waived for awards under certain circumstances when date, connection, routing or carrier changes are made But:
Airline / carrier changes incur no change or redeposit fees as long as you do not try to change between all AA oneworld airlines and non-oneworld airlines or vice versa.

E.g. an AA award such as SEA-HNL-SYD using AS can not be changed to use JL without requiring award redeposit. An award using AA LAX-HKG can be changed to JL via NRT or CX Without redeposit ing miles.

If Maximum Permitted Miles (usually 125% of the most direct available routing) for an award is exceeded, two awards may be charged

or

MSC fare requirements: The most significant or prevailing carrier, usually the one with the transoceanic sector, must offer an unconstructed fare between desired origin and destination; if a fare would require "married segments", two awards may be required.
Award validity: Awards must be used within one year of original booking. For travel beyond that, the award miles will have to be redeposited and new awards secured.

Award cancellations can be by phone or online, but online cancellation requires separate action to reinstate the miles. Canceling online does not request or result in miles redeposit.

Award miles reinstatement: Redeposit fees are waived for Executive Platinum members. See here for more information on award miles reinstatement.

"Upgrading" class of service by using miles requires redepositing the original award and issuing a new one for the higher class if service. AA will waive the deposit fee on the redeposited award, and will not charge for this. (However, taxes may differ, such as going from the discounted U.K. Air Passenger Duty to the full APD if upgrading from Y / PE to J; if there are higher taxes and fees imposed by the new fare, the passenger is charged for those.)

Co-terminals: For award purposes, there are no co-terminals; changing co-terminal airports (MIA and FLL, PBI; JFK, LGA, EWR etc.) will incur a $150 change fee. See this thread for detail on award miles redeposit.

An award using AS, FJ, HA or TN to South Pacific (e.g. AKL, SYD) can not be changed to AA or QF without requiring award redeposit (or vice versa).

Dropping segments: Awards made on AA or / and "all partner" carriers will allow changes mentioned above without requiring redeposit fees. Instances of dropping an origin segment can be allowed, or a final segment - as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards); changing the mileage (miles required) of the award claimed or the number of awards claimed.

Segments can be dropped as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards). If you are refused, refer agents to the in-house memo/advisory dated 02/03/11 entitled "Dropping OWFA segments." (guv1976)

As JonNYC posted:

This document was current as of December 2014:

For permitted changes and fees, see this post in the airline partner award thread.

See TravelingBetter.com here and illustrations here.

If the award is AA and oneworld, changes may be made as long as the main / governing /Most Significant Carrier makes an unconstructed fare on the award routing and the governing fare's carrier is not changed to one not offering such a fare.

Close-in booking fee: Changes made to bring travel to under 21 days from award issue will incur close-in booking fees of $75.

Schedule changes: On international awards, schedule changes of two hours or longer, or those breaking connections by bringing them below MCT / minimum connection times, flight cancellations, generally may be cancelled and redeposited without fees, or engender greater flexibility in changes. With AA awards, it is possible award seating may be opened when there is none; with partners, AA can appeal to the Liaison to the partner to open seating in these cases (the partner airline may or may not grant the exception requested). Equipment change constitutes a schedule change and you will be able to get the fee waived pre this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Partner changes: If the award includes non-oneworld partners such as AS, EY, FJ or TN, or a oneworld carrier award is changed to include a non-oneworld carrier, or vice versa, significant fees will be incurred ($150).

"Upgrading" class of service by using miles requires redepositing the original award and issuing a new one for the higher class if service. AA will waive the deposit fee on the redeposited award, and will not charge for this. (However, taxes may differ, such as going from the discounted U.K. Air Passenger Duty to the full APD if upgrading from Y / PE to J; if there are higher taxes abd fees imposed by the new fare, the passenger is charged for those.)

Changes that require different award type -

Changes to the itinerary which involve different AAdvantage award(s) than originally ticketed require a reinstatement of the original award ticket, payment of the applicable award reinstatement charge (see below), and a new award ticket issued (waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account). However, SAAver awards canceled for AAnytime awards, or changing to a higher class of service, will not incur redeposit fees.

Changes to your outbound travel date, resulting in a departure within 21 days -

Close-in booking fee: A $75 USD award processing charge will apply for a confirmed change to the date on an AAdvantage MileSAAver and AAnytime award ticket if the change results in a new outbound travel date that is within 21 days of the original booking date (waived for AAdvantage elite members using miles from their account).

Contact AAdvantage Reservations to change your itinerary, pay the applicable charge and have your ticket reissued prior to travel.

Canceling Awards / Reinstating Award Tickets
(Waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account)

Award class changes: MileSAAver to AAnytime changes generally incur no fees; conversely, AAnytime to MileSAAver awards generally will.

Award cabin class "upgrades" (e.g. Y to J): If the change made is an increase of miles to another cabin class, fees are not normally charged (but some government required fees such as UK Air Passenger Duty, airport passenger facility fees, etc. may change).

Redepositing awards incurs a fee of $150 other than for Executive Platinum members redepositing to their accounts. If two or more awards are being redeposited to the same account at the same time, the fees are $150 for the first award, $25 for every award thereafter. Note the awards do not have to share the same PNR, though some less knowledgeable agents will insist so.

Note: given a 120 hr / 5 day hold is offered, there is no right to “Free” cancellation (without redeposit) within 24 hours of securing the award. OTOH, mere date changes to a year from Booking are free of charge in most instances.

Please see: State of the award reinstatement fee (Nov 2015 - clarifying)

FAQ: Cancel award ticket / cancellation (time frame, taxes, etc.) (merged threads)

Link to 2012-2014 archive of older posts on this topic

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2015-16 Award change date change route all changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Thanks for all the input. I'll see what's preferable here and will give them a call. Good to know where I stand before calling them!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by ednpub
This may be a related question. If my wife and I have award tickets in business class that are on the same PNR but paid out of each of our own mileage accounts, can we upgrade to first using the miles only out of her account? This is a class change only for CX flights and assumes that the F seats are available.

Thanks!
Yes but only if she will have enough miles to cover both F awards (not just the difference). When you upgrade to a higher class, the original miles are credited back to the originating account(s), then debited again along with the difference under a new award.

If you're hoping to upgrade both of you but say use 90k from her account and 60k from yours for an award that costs 75k, this will NOT be possible. Unless of course you pay the transfer fee for the miles difference into your account from hers.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by edy4eva
Yes but only if she will have enough miles to cover both F awards (not just the difference).
Thanks for the explanation... luckily she does have enough to cover both.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:04 pm

Per the rules at the head of this thread. Time, carrier and route changes are sans fee if done prior to 21 days of departure.

The ambiguity for here is I am going to book this with us air in the next few days and I haven't had any luck finding the specific fees for changes as such.

Any light to be shed on this?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
Per the rules at the head of this thread. Time, carrier and route changes are sans fee if done prior to 21 days of departure.

The ambiguity for here is I am going to book this with us air in the next few days and I haven't had any luck finding the specific fees for changes as such.

I'm confused as to what kind of change you want to do. Also there is a fee if you change your departure date to within 21 days of ticketing date. Changes within 21 days of departure date are free.

Last edited by UA Fan; Jan 19, 2015 at 8:56 am
Old Jan 18, 2015, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I'm confused as to what kind of change you want to do. Also there is a fee is you change your departure date to within 21 days of ticketing date. Changes within 21 days of departure date is free.
Most likely will be changing to a more convenient routing. So, time connecting cities and carrier. No change to date or origin/destinations.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

Wrong subforum. This covers AA redemptions.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Hi all,
I wanted to get some confirmation on what I am planning.
I’ve booked an aa reward flight for March, two separate one ways for 3 passengers. But now realize we can’t go, instead of cancelling, can I reschedule as far out as possible (November)? Then later, reschedule again for next March. All without penalty fees? I don't think so (max one year out from time of initial booking) but not sure.
Also, If I cancel and get my miles back into my account, is the fee $275 : first one way; $150 +$25+$25 and second one way $25+$25+$25?
Thanks again!!!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TRVLUPGD
Apologie if asked / answered.

Confirmed one way J on QR, DOH ORD using AA mies.

Now I see QR starting DOH LHR on an A380. Want to change to QR DOH LHR and then a One World LHR ORD (except BA!).

What should I expect before calling AA ( will spend miles to go F if nesc. )
Thank You
Have you checked the MPM between ORD and DOH? If DOH-LHR-ORD is within the MPM then the change shouldn't incur any change fees. Also upgrade from J to F will not incur any change fees but differences in tax/miles apply.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most likely will be changing to a more convenient routing. So, time connecting cities and carrier. No change to date or origin/destinations.
Are you using AA miles or US? If AA, then as long as changes are within 1W carriers it is free keeping origin & dest same and as long as the new departure dates are not within 21 days of ticketing. If using US miles pretty much any change will be charged.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:48 am
Suspended

Are you using AA miles or US? If AA, then as long as changes are within 1W carriers it is free keeping origin & dest same...
There's also this condition that the carrier/governing carrier can not change in any such change.

If the award is being entirely "rebuilt" as it were-- even between and amongst OneWorld carriers, this can be a factor triggering redeposit and fee.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mumum17
Hi all,
I wanted to get some confirmation on what I am planning.
I’ve booked an aa reward flight for March, two separate one ways for 3 passengers. But now realize we can’t go, instead of cancelling, can I reschedule as far out as possible (November)? Then later, reschedule again for next March. All without penalty fees? I don't think so (max one year out from time of initial booking) but not sure.
Also, If I cancel and get my miles back into my account, is the fee $275 : first one way; $150 +$25+$25 and second one way $25+$25+$25?
Thanks again!!!
You must complete travel within 1 year of original ticketing date. Your re-deposit fee calculations look correct.

Another option is to wait and hope for a significant schedule change so that you can re-deposit without a fee.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There's also this condition that the carrier/governing carrier can not change in any such change.

If the award is being entirely "rebuilt" as it were-- even between and amongst OneWorld carriers, this can be a factor triggering redeposit and fee.
Thanks, are you referring to the airline whose fare rules apply?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Thanks, are you referring to the airline whose fare rules apply?
Yes, that if such an all-encompassing change to an award took place, quite possible that the award might then be based on a different partner carrier's routing/ published fare.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Are there still fees for changing award tickets?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.