Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Pricing Out of CLT has gotten out of hand

Pricing Out of CLT has gotten out of hand

Old Jan 3, 19, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, HH, IHG
Angry Pricing Out of CLT has gotten out of hand

Pricing out of CLT has officially gotten out of hand by AA - NYC to CDG via CLT priced at $363 std econ , same dates on the same flights within previous itin CLT-CDG prices at $1,400 (4/7-4/16). How are you not encouraging hidden city ticketing when it is that much. I know the NYC market is brutally competitive, but someone in RM at AA is not paying much attention to the CLT-originating passengers.
Old Jan 3, 19, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by jpschoubert View Post
Pricing out of CLT has officially gotten out of hand by AA - NYC to CDG via CLT priced at $363 std econ , same dates on the same flights within previous itin CLT-CDG prices at $1,400 (4/7-4/16). How are you not encouraging hidden city ticketing when it is that much. I know the NYC market is brutally competitive, but someone in RM at AA is not paying much attention to the CLT-originating passengers.
CLT is a captive hub and that's typical of pricing where an airline owns the local market. The business traveler, even in Y probably doesn't want to fly to CLT to fly to CDG no matter how much cheaper. Even lots of leisure paxs won't want to backtrack.
enpremiere and JDiver like this.
Old Jan 3, 19, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA GLD, IHG PLT
Non-stops from a hub will always be really high. Since CLT is 90% AA traffic, expect AA to profit off of their fortress hub.

Lufthansa offers a round trip itinerary with Premium economy for the long leg for $900 if you are willing to connect through Munich. (CLT-MUC-CDG)
boss315 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 19, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

I know I know - I just smh. Used to work in yield for AC decades ago, usually its a bit more discrete and not of this magnitude. Even a small drive away to RDU/GSO cuts it in half, feel for the leisure paxs, makes it more challenging to get good deals like from NY. Thanks
Old Jan 3, 19, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MathMusic View Post
Non-stops from a hub will always be really high. Since CLT is 90% AA traffic, expect AA to profit off of their fortress hub.

Lufthansa offers a round trip itinerary with Premium economy for the long leg for $900 if you are willing to connect through Munich. (CLT-MUC-CDG)
Thanks for the LH tip - not bad at all for prem. Will end up my usual CLT-NYC ow for $79 and R/T NYC-CDG $360 with a return connect in CLT since customs in CLT. I walk slow.
Old Jan 3, 19, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by jpschoubert View Post
The scenario you are seeing is more about AA having a fare sale from certain cities and/or how competitive the NYC-Europe market is, it really has nothing to do with CLT originating airfare.

Looking at your dates, I see the ~$400 fares to CDG from a number of large markets...NYC, WAS, PHL, DFW, MIA, etc. However searching the smaller secondary cities like CLT, BNA, RDU, GSO etc. everything is $1500 plus. Such is life.
Old Jan 3, 19, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
The scenario you are seeing is more about AA having a fare sale from certain cities and/or how competitive the NYC-Europe market is, it really has nothing to do with CLT originating airfare.

Looking at your dates, I see the ~$400 fares to CDG from a number of large markets...NYC, WAS, PHL, DFW, MIA, etc. However searching the smaller secondary cities like CLT, BNA, RDU, GSO etc. everything is $1500 plus. Such is life.
True - I've picked up some $500 CLT-CDG on occasion but very rarely on AA, mostly DL/AF. Just griping about living in a non-competitive market, hard to just pickup and go without breaking the bank. Thanks JJ
Old Jan 3, 19, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Pricing out of CLT has been out of hand for a long time. At least GSO offers a nearly painless airport experience. With I-85 only having 5 or 6 miles of construction left it's a pretty fast trip up the interstate.
jpschoubert and GTITAN like this.
Old Jan 3, 19, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It's not always a fortress hub premium. NYC and HOU are certainly competitive markets. The DOT's Consumer Airfare Report for 2q18 puts CLT's fare premium above Houston's but below NYC's. See Table 7. Of course they're looking at more than just one destination.

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...port2018q2.pdf
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 3, 19, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
Got to remember, NYC is a hugely competitive market for many, many cities in Europe. I did a trip to Germany this past year and flying out of JFK (including buying a separate itinerary from BWI to JFK) was substantially cheaper than flying out of any of the WAS airports - by about $700.00.

So, its not just a CLT issue.

Anyhow take the NYC-CLT-CDG flight, enjoy the extra EQMs and the extra hour of sleep.
jpschoubert likes this.
Old Jan 3, 19, 6:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Nashville same way, yet not aa AA hub. 50-100% higher than transiting to ORD or JF K.
Old Jan 3, 19, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Fares are very high when originating/ending at CLT yet if you connect through there they are dirt cheap as AA now tries to push most connections on the East Coast/Midwest through CLT lol.
Old Jan 3, 19, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by DCP2016 View Post
Fares are very high when originating/ending at CLT yet if you connect through there they are dirt cheap as AA now tries to push most connections on the East Coast/Midwest through CLT lol.
I was in a similar situation needing to fly LAX-CLT. The nonstop was around $700 while connecting was only $250-ish.
I found some non-hub AA connection options (IAH, BNA, etc) that were pretty cheap.
Old Jan 4, 19, 3:18 am

Programs: AF/KLM FB Gold, AccorHotels Gold
Like others have said, its been that way for years. When CLT used to be my home base, I always bought separate tickets to JFK for TATL flights. Simple lack of competition. As a business, AA has no incentive to lower prices.
Old Jan 4, 19, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by mlin32 View Post
Like others have said, its been that way for years. When CLT used to be my home base, I always bought separate tickets to JFK for TATL flights. Simple lack of competition. As a business, AA has no incentive to lower prices.
I typically do the same. Head up the day before, then fly out of JFK, usually for about half the price. Saved about $1k last time vs going from CLT.

I find it frustrating how expensive it can be out of CLT, particularly when comparing it to RDU, CAE, GSO connecting through CLT.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: