Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Pricing Out of CLT has gotten out of hand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pricing Out of CLT has gotten out of hand

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, HH, IHG
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Fares are very high when originating/ending at CLT yet if you connect through there they are dirt cheap as AA now tries to push most connections on the East Coast/Midwest through CLT lol.
Thanks everyone - the reality of market to market pricing and dealing with hubs! Felt guilty for about 3 seconds for 'cheating' the system, but got over it. Though would be interesting to look at the analytics with similar non-competitive (80/20 one carrier) hubs like IAH or maybe even DFW/ATL to see the price distortion? Just wondering if the industry is encouraging hidden city and folks like us to try and beat the system.
Thanks again
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
Same deal ex-ATL to pretty much anywhere in Europe. I've been shaken down for over $3K for non-premium economy to FRA on Delta 2 summers ago. Going to JFK first would have saved me probably $1800-2000, but it was for work and I wasn't the one paying ultimately.

Mrs. GlobeTrttr and I are probably going to spend a week-ish in Europe some time this coming summer. I'm seriously considering booking two separate itineraries with the TATL leg originating at JFK or ORD and just heading up that way in the morning with several hours in between legs. CLT is as well-connected as ATL to those markets with plenty of opportunities to arrive well before your TATL flight departs, should you choose to do it that way.
jpschoubert likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jpschoubert
Thanks everyone - the reality of market to market pricing and dealing with hubs! Felt guilty for about 3 seconds for 'cheating' the system, but got over it. Though would be interesting to look at the analytics with similar non-competitive (80/20 one carrier) hubs like IAH or maybe even DFW/ATL to see the price distortion? Just wondering if the industry is encouraging hidden city and folks like us to try and beat the system.
Thanks again
Use "hidden city" enough times and you will probably be caught, if you are not using the entire ticket
jpschoubert likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Though would be interesting to look at the analytics with similar non-competitive (80/20 one carrier) hubs like IAH or maybe even DFW/ATL to see the price distortion?
Look at Table 7 in my link. The DOT has done all the work.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Pricing out of CLT has officially gotten out of hand by AA - NYC to CDG via CLT priced at $363 std econ , same dates on the same flights within previous itin CLT-CDG prices at $1,400 (4/7-4/16). How are you not encouraging hidden city ticketing when it is that much. I know the NYC market is brutally competitive, but someone in RM at AA is not paying much attention to the CLT-originating passengers.
Of course RM is paying attention. They know there are people flying out of CLT and willing to pay the higher price.
jpschoubert likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Look at Table 7 in my link. The DOT has done all the work.
Dang! This is awesome stuff! Thanks 3cforme. Looking through it now.

I feel for the new Jr analyst at the DOT "Joey, need this report by Monday"

Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It's not always a fortress hub premium. NYC and HOU are certainly competitive markets. The DOT's Consumer Airfare Report for 2q18 puts CLT's fare premium above Houston's but below NYC's. See Table 7. Of course they're looking at more than just one destination.

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...port2018q2.pdf
Actually, unless I'm reading Table 7 incorrectly, CLT's Premium is well above JFK and LGA - AA's principal NY area airports.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Is this a new thing?
Back before the US-AA merger, as a moderator in the US forum, I'd regularly see posts about crazy airfares from CLT.

A few years ago, my then-manager asked me to check airfares for AUS-CLT for a potential team meeting. AA is the only carrier that flies it nonstop, and the price was over $600 round-trip. A few months before, I had paid $635 to fly AUS-DFW-PEK.
I have family in northeastern PA, and regularly fly to AVP or ABE, and both options are usually around $350 for AUS-CLT-xxx. (as an aside, ABE is barely within the 500 mile range, but AVP is just over).
jpschoubert likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Angry

Originally Posted by aztimm
Is this a new thing?
Back before the US-AA merger, as a moderator in the US forum, I'd regularly see posts about crazy airfares from CLT.

A few years ago, my then-manager asked me to check airfares for AUS-CLT for a potential team meeting. AA is the only carrier that flies it nonstop, and the price was over $600 round-trip. A few months before, I had paid $635 to fly AUS-DFW-PEK.
I have family in northeastern PA, and regularly fly to AVP or ABE, and both options are usually around $350 for AUS-CLT-xxx. (as an aside, ABE is barely within the 500 mile range, but AVP is just over).
Oh nothing new aztimm, just tired of paying >$600 to get to DFW or DSM or even TLH because they have the only nonstop. If we are willing to pay, why would they stop doing it? Simple economics, but tough to swallow especially when you can "embed" an itin into another and pay leff for more (first example NYC-CLT-PAR vs CLT-PAR same flights). Just gripping... Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.