Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Corporate Security takes aim at my circuitous routing (ticket validity)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines may intervene in overly circuitous routing as covered by the AA Conditions of Carriage

Ticket validity link to these Conditions of Carriage

Tickets are valid for travel only when used with all terms and conditions of sale.

Your ticket is valid only when:

Travel is to/from the cities on your ticket and in your trip record
You meet all the fare requirements

Fare requirements, like dates, special purpose or status, may include:

• Dates of stay (a Saturday night, weekend, etc.)
  • Military status (to qualify for a military fare)
  • Official government business (to qualify for a government fare)
  • Attendance at an event (to qualify for a meeting or convention fare)

Your ticket is not valid when:
  • You don't meet the dates of stay, purpose or status requirements for the fare
  • We find that the ticket was bought using an exploitative practice

Exploiting fare rules

Reservations made to exploit or circumvent fare and ticket rules are strictly prohibited.

Examples include (but are not limited to):

• Purchase a ticket without intending to fly all flights to gain lower fares (hidden cities)
  • Buy a ticket without intent to travel, including to gain access to our airport lounges or other facilities
  • Combine 2 or more roundtrip excursion fares end-to-end to circumvent minimum stay requirements (back-to-back ticketing)
  • Book a ticket in someone's name without the person's consent (which is illegal)
  • Hold reservations for reasons including securing upgrades, blocking seats or obtaining lower fares

If we find evidence that you or your agent are using an exploitive practice, we reserve the right to:

• Cancel any unused part of the ticket
  • Refuse to let the passenger fly and check bags
  • Not refund an otherwise refundable ticket
  • Charge you for what the ticket would have cost if you hadn't booked it fraudulently.

Fare errors

If we sell a fare in error, we have the right to cancel the ticket. This includes fare errors, computer errors and third party errors (human or computer). We make every effort to prevent, detect and correct errors as soon as possible.

When we issue a mistaken fare, we'll void the ticket, give a full refund and notify you within:

• 72 hours after we learn of the mistaken fare
  • At least 24 hours before departure if you bought the ticket less than 72 hours before departure
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Post removed.

Last edited by BA707; Jan 2, 2019 at 8:09 pm Reason: Point taken
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I can't really blame them as your requested routing is...if I was to be charitable, ridiculous

What they booked is still a bit absurd but at least it doesn't backtrack
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:57 pm
Suspended

C17PSGR, enviroian, bse118 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
I’m confused - what is a fraudulent ticket in the context of this thread?

If an airline offers it and allows you to book it (assuming it’s not an error or mistake fare of some kind), and you intend to fly it, how is it fraud?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by BA707
Am I being unreasonable here to expect some sort of customer service gesture?
Yes. If anything, AA should be asking you to compensate them for the hours of agent time spent working on your wacky itinerary. How many hours have you spent with agents after every schedule change, depriving them of working with other customers? It would surely be a lot less if your itinerary was limited to a couple segments.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:32 pm

Am I being unreasonable here to expect some sort of customer service gesture? )
Yes
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
I’m confused - what is a fraudulent ticket in the context of this thread?

If an airline offers it and allows you to book it (assuming it’s not an error or mistake fare of some kind), and you intend to fly it, how is it fraud?
I don't think I'd call what the OP did "fraudulent" in the criminal sense but I also don't think AA, or any airline, would consider that routing to be intentionally bookable so falls under the "technical failure or mistake, including but not limited to a fare filing error, computer error or third-party error (either human or mechanical)." section. Its one thing to add on an extra segment or two, not something I'd do but I can understand why some BA folks might do that, but what the OP did or rather attempted to do is just beyond the pale. There's absolutely no rational reason to fly that routing other than to game the system, an extra segment here or there is unlikely to be noticed but the OP went for the high score and got caught then had the temerity to request compensation...just wow.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Yes. If anything, AA should be asking you to compensate them for the hours of agent time spent working on your wacky itinerary. How many hours have you spent with agents after every schedule change, depriving them of working with other customers? It would surely be a lot less if your itinerary was limited to a couple segments.
Thanks for replying but I respectfully disagree.

From what I can tell, this fare in particular has been offered since 2015 which was booked directly on the aa.com website.

I can understand equipment and airport slot changes but why does AA need to significantly overhaul it? I've never seen any other carrier make as significant, or as frequent changes as AA has over a 7 month period. While some are slight changes (+/- 20 minutes), some are hours / frequency changes and in almost all cases, completely different flight numbers.

If AA didn't overhaul it, reservations staff wouldn't need to rebook (almost) every segment.
royng likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Question

From what I can tell, this fare in particular has been offered since 2015 which was booked directly on the aa.com website.

I can understand equipment and airport slot changes but why does AA need to significantly overhaul it? I've never seen any other carrier make as significant, or as frequent changes as AA has over a 7 month period. While some are slight changes (+/- 20 minutes), some are hours / frequency changes and in almost all cases, completely different flight numbers.

If AA didn't overhaul it, reservations staff wouldn't need to rebook (almost) every segment.
How can you have the nerve to complain about AA's (yes, unfortunately hysterically frequent and inconvenient) schedule changes when you've intentionally designed an itinerary that's like 5x more like to be affected by same??
GUWonder, CPRich, GTITAN and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Most carriers will make changes especially when we book so far out. Most carriers wouldnt let you make that amount of stops even if its in the same direction any longer. But what you changed to was going back and forth in all directions, dont know any carrier that allows that. The fact that you were able to convince some agents to rebook you was lucky

I used to be able on an UA award tkt to Europe throw in a few < 24 hr overnighters to checkout some places. No more, heck UA started charging for what they consider extra stops, and in some cases wouldnt even allow a very slight indirect routing

IMO you should be thrilled they allowed you to put back what you originally had and Im surprised they allowed that

fwiw , I love it when someone can put it any of US3 , but after being on 3 different AA planes 320,319,763 I cant understand why anyone would want to even get on 1 AA flight, now JetBlue I can fully understand
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
i cant even - lol
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:11 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Ahhh, for the good old days of MR'ing. 9 segment USAir FC SFO-FPT (loved that PHL-DCA/BWI 86 mile segment for the minimum 500 x 3 earn) for bmi and LH award miles and status jackpots; SFO-JFK-NRT RT's for the extra EQM's and RDM's for little or no extra cost; aa.com almost always gave me SFO-DFW-MIA-DFW-ZRH for my Euro trips. Sadly (well maybe not so sad) all gone now. Your routing was a disaster waiting to happen with potential IRROPS, misconnects and possible luggage issues. All of which cost money to solve. Keep your expectations in check.
CFM3RD and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
BWI-DCA was 30 miles for 750 EQMs. Winrar.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I'm confused. If AA ticketed this and the OP didnt engage in multiple reservations, hidden city tickets etc. Then why is it the fault of the OP?

If AA is willing to sell me a convoluted stupid routing, then that's on them. If there was IRROPs, then the onus goes to the OP.

although the OP deleted the post.. so I dont have the full context.
Spiff, SK, Unterwegs and 13 others like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
I can't understand why this booking is fraudulent either. Some people travel for work; some people travel for fun; of course, there are some people travel to earn miles and status. If I am traveling for work, I can prefer a most direct routing with little to no stops; but if I am travel for fun, why can't I prefer a convoluted routing with multiple stops but on my desired aircraft?

I don't really find a clause anywhere on AA CoC saying customers must prefer most direct routing. As a result, if they offer these flights for sale and OP did purchase this ticket, why is there anything wrong?
Spiff, Unterwegs, GUWonder and 8 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.