Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Corporate Security takes aim at my circuitous routing (ticket validity)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines may intervene in overly circuitous routing as covered by the AA Conditions of Carriage

Ticket validity link to these Conditions of Carriage

Tickets are valid for travel only when used with all terms and conditions of sale.

Your ticket is valid only when:

Travel is to/from the cities on your ticket and in your trip record
You meet all the fare requirements

Fare requirements, like dates, special purpose or status, may include:

• Dates of stay (a Saturday night, weekend, etc.)
  • Military status (to qualify for a military fare)
  • Official government business (to qualify for a government fare)
  • Attendance at an event (to qualify for a meeting or convention fare)

Your ticket is not valid when:
  • You don't meet the dates of stay, purpose or status requirements for the fare
  • We find that the ticket was bought using an exploitative practice

Exploiting fare rules

Reservations made to exploit or circumvent fare and ticket rules are strictly prohibited.

Examples include (but are not limited to):

• Purchase a ticket without intending to fly all flights to gain lower fares (hidden cities)
  • Buy a ticket without intent to travel, including to gain access to our airport lounges or other facilities
  • Combine 2 or more roundtrip excursion fares end-to-end to circumvent minimum stay requirements (back-to-back ticketing)
  • Book a ticket in someone's name without the person's consent (which is illegal)
  • Hold reservations for reasons including securing upgrades, blocking seats or obtaining lower fares

If we find evidence that you or your agent are using an exploitive practice, we reserve the right to:

• Cancel any unused part of the ticket
  • Refuse to let the passenger fly and check bags
  • Not refund an otherwise refundable ticket
  • Charge you for what the ticket would have cost if you hadn't booked it fraudulently.

Fare errors

If we sell a fare in error, we have the right to cancel the ticket. This includes fare errors, computer errors and third party errors (human or computer). We make every effort to prevent, detect and correct errors as soon as possible.

When we issue a mistaken fare, we'll void the ticket, give a full refund and notify you within:

• 72 hours after we learn of the mistaken fare
  • At least 24 hours before departure if you bought the ticket less than 72 hours before departure
Print Wikipost

AA Corporate Security takes aim at my circuitous routing (ticket validity)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
This is the key point to the entire thread. Connections are simply an administrative and logistical routing approach.

On a simple A-B-C one-way ticket where B is a connection and thus not a stopover, AA is free to reroute as A-C nonstop. The passenger's option if the reroute causes scheduling issues is to cancel for a refund. If one has a need to spend time at B for leisure, work, or simply because one likes airports, one is free to book the two segments as a stopover and pay the fares for that.

Of course anyone can sue AA for having rerouted, but they are extraordinarily unlikely to prevail.
Maybe a real live agent can do it, but if you're purchasing plane tickets on line, it's not easy to get connections under 4 or 24 hours to book as stopovers.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe a real live agent can do it, but if you're purchasing plane tickets on line, it's not easy to get connections under 4 or 24 hours to book as stopovers.
True. All that means is that one must pick up the phone. Not every feature of reserving and ticketing is available online.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Smile

Originally Posted by Antarius
I'm confused. If AA ticketed this and the OP didnt engage in multiple reservations, hidden city tickets etc. Then why is it the fault of the OP?

If AA is willing to sell me a convoluted stupid routing, then that's on them. If there was IRROPs, then the onus goes to the OP.
Exactly.. and lookling closely, it appears to be a typical MileSAAver routing.
lowfareair, skunker, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:19 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by BA707
I'm out of pocket for non-refundable hotels in cities where there's no longer an overnight layover. Is being asked to be made whole all that unreasonable?
I wouldn't say it's unreasonable, but I'd also be worried if one snowstorm, weather event, airport power failure or mechanical/ATC delay at the start of your trip would present the very same problem when you're out traveling. What was your plan if you had a 12-24 hour or longer delay that threw off your entire itinerary for a day or more? Would you just eat the hotel cost in that situation? Just not sure I'd book multiple prepaid hotel nights when a host of issues could impact your 16 segment round trip itinerary (think that's what you posted before), the most immediate being schedule changes, and a whole list of other possibilities once you're underway with winter travel.

If you can't come to terms with AA, maybe a DOT complaint about them not covering hotel costs on a reroute? With the government shutdown, though, you won't get a response right away. Might be new terrain for DOT., but at least you'd get a written response from AA if you decide to take them to small claims court as your next step.
https://www.transportation.gov/airco...umer-complaint
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Neither a DOT nor a SCC action will bear any fruit unless you can point to a contractual obligation to pay. If a reroute is not to your liking, it is certainly a basis to cancel for a full refund, but US law does not recognize a :"duty of care" such as exists in the EU under EC 261/2004.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
I wouldn't say it's unreasonable, but I'd also be worried if one snowstorm, weather event, airport power failure or mechanical/ATC delay at the start of your trip would present the very same problem when you're out traveling. What was your plan if you had a 12-24 hour or longer delay that threw off your entire itinerary for a day or more? Would you just eat the hotel cost in that situation? Just not sure I'd book multiple prepaid hotel nights when a host of issues could impact your 16 segment round trip itinerary (think that's what you posted before), the most immediate being schedule changes, and a whole list of other possibilities once you're underway with winter travel.
Thanks for the reply. In the case of IRROPS I would be prepared to drop segments and ask to be re-routed to a point where I can resume the rest of the itinerary (ie PTY-MIA-PHL instead of PTY-MIA-TPA-CLT-RDU-PHL, then continuing eventually to LAX) with a ORC request post-travel.

If IRROPS forces an overnight somewhere, then yes I would suck it up and try my luck with travel insurance.

As AA have changed my routing pre-travel, I would've thought this would be on them as my travel insurance would kick in after departure.
Happy to be corrected though.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I guess I don't get the initial very harsh and negative response to the OP. To me, most types of MR are ridiculous, including same day changing flights to add segments, eagerly seeking mistake fares, whatever. However, many people do them. The OP's initial booking is just part of this trend, and the OP didn't break any rules or do anything immoral. AA is free to change it to a more direct routing, but I don't get the amount of scorn thrown towards the OP.
travelmad478 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I guess I don't get the initial very harsh and negative response to the OP. To me, most types of MR are ridiculous, including same day changing flights to add segments, eagerly seeking mistake fares, whatever. However, many people do them. The OP's initial booking is just part of this trend, and the OP didn't break any rules or do anything immoral. AA is free to change it to a more direct routing, but I don't get the amount of scorn thrown towards the OP.
This isn't allowed any more.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Why on earth would anyone want to fly that routing to begin with (who cares that much for points)? Even if AA operations were on point it would not be fun. Add in AA's terrible mechanical issues, late arrivals, the OP is asking for a disaster of a travel experience with all of those connections.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Have to agree with the OP. If AA is willing to sell it, and they are willing to pay for it, that's a business transaction. If AA doesn't like it, they shouldn't sell it. We are only playing by their rules.

What if the OP had a legitimate reason to stop in each city (visit a friend, pick up an important document, etc.)?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Have to agree with the OP. If AA is willing to sell it, and they are willing to pay for it, that's a business transaction. If AA doesn't like it, they shouldn't sell it. We are only playing by their rules.

What if the OP had a legitimate reason to stop in each city (visit a friend, pick up an important document, etc.)?
And, as we all know, the airline can change the rules. Or cite rules that trump other rules. Why they allowed it to be sold we don't know. Maybe a glitch. Maybe something else. If the OP needed to make that many stops for personal/business reasons then AA can certainly argue that it is a multi-city trip and should be priced accordingly.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
And, as we all know, the airline can change the rules. Or cite rules that trump other rules. Why they allowed it to be sold we don't know. Maybe a glitch. Maybe something else. If the OP needed to make that many stops for personal/business reasons then AA can certainly argue that it is a multi-city trip and should be priced accordingly.
I can see that it might be a glitch, a poorly defined fare, or they didn't forsee all possible permutations when programming it up. But once it has had three manual interventions on it?

The OP won't win anything here though.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
This happened to me a few years ago. I bought an MR for BWI-MIA-SJU-CLT-JFK-SEA-MIA-SJU-CLT-BWI in F a few years ago, and a mechanical at BWI threatened to blow up the trip. Started off as a delay, then cancellation, and getting forced on to a flight via the phone onto a flight that the gate AAgent said was full (boy did that one piss her off lol ). Made it to MIA, but the flight to SJU left by the time I got there. AC agent was an angel and very helpful. I explained what I was doing an MR to requalify and she rerouted me, making the booking codes align so I still got all my EQMs.

I've had things go wonky at the end of the year and every time the agents mentioned that a lot of people doing crazy routings at the end of year to top off. So I know AA's familiar with people MR'ing for status. Like the others, if AA's willing to sell a ticketed itinerary and there aren't IRROPS, I don't understand why they can get their knickers in a twist and change the routing just because they think it's weird. And if it's a "round trip", with the different fare constructions, how can they determine where the original destination is? Arbitrarily?

Systems can be gamed, but given the games that AA and other airlines play too, it's always been a cat and mouse game. We try to get the most - they try to give the least.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I guess I don't get the initial very harsh and negative response to the OP. ... AA is free to change it to a more direct routing, but I don't get the amount of scorn thrown towards the OP.
I think the OP was originally asking if he's entitled to comp for the routing changes - I think that stirred some of the scorn.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Why on earth would anyone want to fly that routing to begin with (who cares that much for points)? Even if AA operations were on point it would not be fun. Add in AA's terrible mechanical issues, late arrivals, the OP is asking for a disaster of a travel experience with all of those connections.
Why does anyone do what they do? Everyone has their reasons - ranging from things others may consider reasonable to completely absurd. For some, IRROPS are part of the fun and make for a good story (even if it is masochistic given the reasons you cited) - especially if it's a trip for the hell of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.