Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, it's not clear what fare the companion must use. I'm hoping there are no restrictions there, but it's a new AA these days.

Note: I've updated the Wiki.
I think you're conflating a couple of sticker upgrade avenues:

The old days:
Elites can upgrade one non-status companion travelling with them on any economy fare
Non-elites travelling alone can upgrade on full fare economy fares when travelling without an elite

The new days:
Elites can upgrade one non-status companion travelling with them on any economy fare
Non-elites travelling alone can enjoy their free MCE seat when flying full fare economy and travelling without an elite
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Microwave
I think you're conflating a couple of sticker upgrade avenues:

The old days:
Non-elites travelling alone can upgrade on full fare economy fares when travelling without an elite

The new days:
Non-elites travelling alone can enjoy their free MCE seat when flying full fare economy and travelling without an elite
It looks like today (or at least starting March 1) a non-elite can not use their 500-mile upgrades unless travelling with an elite (see link in Wiki). I do believe the default is to pull the upgrade(s) from the elite, but you can request them to use the traveler's account.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
It looks like today (or at least starting March 1) a non-elite can not use their 500-mile upgrades unless travelling with an elite (see link in Wiki). I do believe the default is to pull the upgrade(s) from the elite, but you can request them to use the traveler's account.
that's what he said though...
Old Feb 20, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
The date you request the upgrade is only used to resolve a tie. The 500-mile upgrades process in specified time windows (up to 24 hours before flight for Gold). So unless your flight is March 1st, you will probably lose out. As a "no status" you must book a full-fare economy ticket (see Wiki) and not O.

Should your ticket maintain your Gold status, you might luck out, but if anything should happen to cause the ticket to be re-evaluated and your status changes, ooops.
I talked to CSR and CSR talk to a supervisor about this. At first either one knew the answer so after researching the answer this is what I was told. I can book a ticket before status expiring, apply the upgrades and don't touch the reservation or check-in online, and go to kiosk, get boarding pass and go to the gate. The reason is if a person on the phone or at the ticket desk pulls up the PNR, it will update it and will reflect non-status. But you don't update the PNR by going to the kiosk, the reservation will still think you have status and keep your upgrades.
Sounds logical, hopefully it works.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I crossed the 10k mark 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for stickers... How long do they usually take to post? Should I call in too?

Update: Stickers posted today!
Old Feb 20, 2016, 3:01 pm

Mine too.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:22 am

Are 500 mile upgrades valid to MEX? Appears I am able to apply them to a held itinerary, but I know MEX is considered international for standby and lounge access purposes.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I still think we're on different wavelengths, but that's cool.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:33 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Do I understand correctly, that if I reach gold (looking at a challenge), I could buy some 500mi upgrades and request to use them at booking time to go from Econ to First, but being only Gold, I'd be behind all the EXP and Plat who want to upgrade, so the $40 is far from a sure thing. At check-in time I could still grab a MCE seat if available.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Gig103
Do I understand correctly, that if I reach gold (looking at a challenge), I could buy some 500mi upgrades and request to use them at booking time to go from Econ to First, but being only Gold, I'd be behind all the EXP and Plat who want to upgrade, so the $40 is far from a sure thing. At check-in time I could still grab a MCE seat if available.
500-mile upgrades for Golds clear at T-24 hours, if inventory is available. Plat's have a 72-hour window, and EXP's get 100 hours. SWUs can clear at anytime from booking to boarding. If you are on an elite popular flight, there is a chance, but probably slight chance of getting an upgrade. The MCE seat assignment can happen if you happen to be online right after someone moves out of an MCE seat (cancel or upgrade).

Buying the 500-mile upgrades may be the worst cost wise, but the upside is they never expire, even if you loose status.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:34 am

You also don't have to buy 500 mile upgrades before waitlisting. Waitlist first, and if you've not cleared at time of check-in you can simply opt not to move onto the airport upgrade waitlist.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
Mine took 2 solid weeks. I was starting to wonder if I had miscalculated!

Looks like I'm going to hit March 1 (when the counter resets) with about 4,000 miles to earn 4 more stickers. Is there any indication AA will pro-rate stickers based on how many miles we have left to go to earn more?

Last edited by FlyingLaw; Feb 23, 2016 at 9:22 am Reason: Added question
Old Feb 23, 2016, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingLaw
Mine took only 3 days this time, which surprised me. I had actually set a reminder before my next flight to have them manually add them but it won't be needed after all.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by tlott
Are 500 mile upgrades valid to MEX? Appears I am able to apply them to a held itinerary, but I know MEX is considered international for standby and lounge access purposes.
Yes they are.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingLaw

Looks like I'm going to hit March 1 (when the counter resets) with about 4,000 miles to earn 4 more stickers. Is there any indication AA will pro-rate stickers based on how many miles we have left to go to earn more?
I'm in a similar situation, due to work travel changing I will now be about 900 miles short. Any chance I could get 2 or 3 from AA if I call? Sounds like they use to do something like this in the past.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.