Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Old Dec 21, 16, 3:02 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I just made Gold, and supposedly good through next year. Now, if I'm reading the AA.com website correctly:

I can *buy* 500 mile upgrade thingies at a cost of $40 each?

I'm assuming this is if I don't earn any by the time I need them?

So if I don't have any earned 500 mile upgrade "stickers", I would book a ticket for me and companion and then buy (2) 500 mile upgrades for $80 and then basically see what happens come time for check-in/departure since there may be others with higher status (Platinum, etc.) ahead of me?
Old Dec 21, 16, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by hurnik View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I just made Gold, and supposedly good through next year. Now, if I'm reading the AA.com website correctly:

So if I don't have any earned 500 mile upgrade "stickers", I would book a ticket for me and companion and then buy (2) 500 mile upgrades for $80 and then basically see what happens come time for check-in/departure since there may be others with higher status (Platinum, etc.) ahead of me?
Yes, this is correct. As Gold, your chances of clearing an upgrade, especially for 2 people, are pretty low. How low depends on what route you're flying and when.
Old Dec 21, 16, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by hurnik View Post

You can join the upgrade list before checking in without stickers and just buy them if you get the upgrade (which seems to be a low probability these days). When you check in you must have the stickers to join the airport upgrade list. Note that you need one sticker per person per 500 mile segment. If the flight is less than 500 miles then you only need one for the non-status companion but if it is more then you will need one for the first segment as well.
Old Dec 24, 16, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
E 500s for companion question

Been many years since I have flown with a companion on same PNR....2 of us flying Lax-JFK in late Jan. If I request an upgrade for my +1 now do I need to have the (5) 500 E upgrades in my acct ? Or will I just need to purchase before we board (if the upgrade clears )
Old Dec 24, 16, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
You do not need to have the upgrades in your account to request the upgrade, nor do you need the upgrade credits in your account for the upgrade to clear. However, you cannot check in your companion for the upgraded segment(s) unless you have the minimum number of upgrade credits in your account to cover the upgrade(s). So, I would suggest that you purchase the credits once you have a pretty good sense that the upgrades will clear. Keep in mind that if you buy online or over the phone, the upgrades can take a few hours to appear in your account. So don't leave it for the day of departure!
Old Dec 24, 16, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
You do not need to have the upgrades in your account to request the upgrade, nor do you need the upgrade credits in your account for the upgrade to clear. However, you cannot check in your companion for the upgraded segment(s) unless you have the minimum number of upgrade credits in your account to cover the upgrade(s). So, I would suggest that you purchase the credits once you have a pretty good sense that the upgrades will clear. Keep in mind that if you buy online or over the phone, the upgrades can take a few hours to appear in your account. So don't leave it for the day of departure!
Great thanks good to know . Since its lax-JFK chances are won't clear until the gate
Old Dec 24, 16, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the upgrade doesn't clear by I think 4 hours before departure then you have to request to be added to the airport standby list. You can request this during the initial OLCI process starting at T-24, or at the airport. However, in order to get on the standby list, you'll need to have the upgrades in your account.
Old Dec 26, 16, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold, MR Gold, AA Plat Pro, HH Gold
When does the 500 mile upgrade counter reset in 2017?

I've got a bunch of flying in February. Will that be added to my current 500 mile tally or will the counter reset at the end of January? What about 2018?
Old Dec 26, 16, 11:43 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by StarlightSusan View Post
I've got a bunch of flying in February. Will that be added to my current 500 mile tally or will the counter reset at the end of January? What about 2018?
See the Wiki above for details but basically end of February 2017 and end of January 2018+
Old Dec 26, 16, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM, AA Gold, MR Lifetime Titanium
Sticker upgrades not clearing before no-status LFBU upgrade

I didn't read through all of the posts in this and the previous thread so this may be old news but, in the event that it's not, here's a data point on clearance of stickers vs paid upgrades.

Traveling on an Eagle flight booked 0/8 in FC at T-2 days. (I know it was 0/8 and I'm not basing that on the seat map.)

At T-2 days, no-status traveling companion received e-mail offering space-available upgrade for cash. The cash amount was more than the $ needed for a sticker upgrade for the flight but less than the amount to buy up the underlying ticket to the lowest-available FC (A) fare.

Before my traveling companion accepted the buy-up offer, I waitlisted a sticker upgrade. Immediately thereafter traveling companion accepted the buy-up and was told the request was waitlisted.

At T-36 hours (about), traveling companion was upgraded. FC was then booked 1/8 (my companion was the only one booked in the cabin).

We're now at T-18 hours and my sticker-upgrade is still waitlisted. FC remains booked 1/8.

So what this tells me is that if there is a sweep that runs at predetermined times to clear the upgrade WL (perhaps at midnight?), non-status pax who offer to pay the less-than-buy up rate will, at least in some scenarios, be upgraded before elites willing to support their upgrades with instruments.

Edit to add: T-8 hours, still no upgrade, FC still booked 1/8

Last edited by FormerLurker; Dec 27, 16 at 6:34 am Reason: add update
Old Dec 26, 16, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
If your upgrade has cleared and you don't have sufficient stickers to check in, you will be prompted to buy enough to cover the shortage during OLCI. I assume those are credited to your account without delay.
Old Dec 27, 16, 7:57 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post
I didn't read through all of the posts in this and the previous thread so this may be old news but, in the event that it's not, here's a data point on clearance of stickers vs paid upgrades.

Traveling on an Eagle flight booked 0/8 in FC at T-2 days. (I know it was 0/8 and I'm not basing that on the seat map.)

At T-2 days, no-status traveling companion received e-mail offering space-available upgrade for cash. The cash amount was more than the $ needed for a sticker upgrade for the flight but less than the amount to buy up the underlying ticket to the lowest-available FC (A) fare.

Before my traveling companion accepted the buy-up offer, I waitlisted a sticker upgrade. Immediately thereafter traveling companion accepted the buy-up and was told the request was waitlisted.

At T-36 hours (about), traveling companion was upgraded. FC was then booked 1/8 (my companion was the only one booked in the cabin).

We're now at T-18 hours and my sticker-upgrade is still waitlisted. FC remains booked 1/8.

So what this tells me is that if there is a sweep that runs at predetermined times to clear the upgrade WL (perhaps at midnight?), non-status pax who offer to pay the less-than-buy up rate will, at least in some scenarios, be upgraded before elites willing to support their upgrades with instruments.

Edit to add: T-8 hours, still no upgrade, FC still booked 1/8
Perhaps next time you will read the thread and see that AA does offer upgrades to nonelites when all elites that have requested upgrades are expected to clear the list (that is, the number of available F seats is greater than the number of elites on the upgrade list). IRROPS can foul this up, but generally it seems to work ok.
Old Dec 27, 16, 8:08 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
I saw in the wiki above that "N.B. In 2018, the status year / MTEU counter resets 31 January 2018". What i didn't see (and probably missed) is when they currently reset. My
EQMs needed to earn 500-mile upgrades is currently at 1,633 and have a few flights in January. Just want to make sure they will push me over the edge. Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 16, 8:22 am

Programs: AA Gold, BONVOY TIT
How quick do stickers earned by EQMs post? My counter reset based on a flight I took yesterday (and those miles posted) but the stickers haven't been added yet. Just wondering if I need to call in or if I should wait.
Old Dec 27, 16, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji View Post
How quick do stickers earned by EQMs post? My counter reset based on a flight I took yesterday (and those miles posted) but the stickers haven't been added yet. Just wondering if I need to call in or if I should wait.
I suggest waiting. I usually is a few days for mine to post.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: