Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Old Nov 21, 16, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
See for example this post in the sticker thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26858310-post892.html
Old Nov 21, 16, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL WFBF, National Emerald Club, Global Entry, CSR, IHG Gold
If you clear prior to check-in, you will have to buy the remaining sticker in order to check in (assuming you have 3 stickers and not 4). My experience has been that if you do not clear in advance and you do not purchase the additional upgrades, you will NOT appear on the airport upgrade list (edited to add: last time this happened I had a companion on the reservation, and I did not have enough stickers for both of us; oddly, the companion showed up on the list and I didn't-- totally weird situation and I didn't press the issue because there was 0 chance of getting the upgrade regardless). YMMV of course, as we all know how AA's IT behaves. In discrepancies between the app and the web site, usually the web site is more accurate, but I would suggest calling AAdvantage customer service to find out how many they think you have.
Old Nov 23, 16, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by wetrat0 View Post
If you clear prior to check-in, you will have to buy the remaining sticker in order to check in (assuming you have 3 stickers and not 4). My experience has been that if you do not clear in advance and you do not purchase the additional upgrades, you will NOT appear on the airport upgrade list (edited to add: last time this happened I had a companion on the reservation, and I did not have enough stickers for both of us; oddly, the companion showed up on the list and I didn't-- totally weird situation and I didn't press the issue because there was 0 chance of getting the upgrade regardless). YMMV of course, as we all know how AA's IT behaves. In discrepancies between the app and the web site, usually the web site is more accurate, but I would suggest calling AAdvantage customer service to find out how many they think you have.
My flight (406) is tomorrow and i didn't clear prior to check in. Had to buy a sticker to get on the list. Now I'm on the list but only two seats in F so I'm pretty screwed. You were correct. Agent said on the phone you can't standby on the upgrade list unless you have all stickers. There goes $40.
Old Nov 23, 16, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
My flight (406) is tomorrow and i didn't clear prior to check in. Had to buy a sticker to get on the list. Now I'm on the list but only two seats in F so I'm pretty screwed. You were correct. Agent said on the phone you can't standby on the upgrade list unless you have all stickers. There goes $40.
At least it's not $40 lost forever. You do have an extra 500-mile upgrade to use at a later date. And you know if you didn't buy it, F would have been half empty!
Old Nov 23, 16, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
At least it's not $40 lost forever. You do have an extra 500-mile upgrade to use at a later date. And you know if you didn't buy it, F would have been half empty!
I know it's only 40 bucks. I'm going to turn EXP after tomorrow so those stickers will be worthless.
Old Nov 23, 16, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I know it's only 40 bucks. I'm going to turn EXP after tomorrow so those stickers will be worthless.
They can help with upgrading a companion and they never expire. There is a bright side if you are willing to look for it.
Old Nov 29, 16, 11:06 am

Programs: DL - Plat, UA - Plat 2MM, AA - Gold, HY - Explorist, MR - Lifetime Gold, HH - Gold
Upgrade request listed twice

I just used SDC to change to an earlier flight tomorrow - after making the change, there were two entries for the upgrade request for the same flight. I went ahead and checked both of them, but are there any concerns here I should have addressed? And I assume if it clears I would not be charged 2x?
Old Nov 29, 16, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by daslax View Post
I just used SDC to change to an earlier flight tomorrow - after making the change, there were two entries for the upgrade request for the same flight. I went ahead and checked both of them, but are there any concerns here I should have addressed? And I assume if it clears I would not be charged 2x?
I wouldn't worry about it. I think it's unlikely that they will accidentally charge you twice. If they do, then a simple message on the customer relations website should get it resolved without any fuss. You'll spend a lot more time on the phone trying to get the issue resolved ahead of time than you would on the off chance they do double charge you.
Old Dec 1, 16, 5:43 am

Oneworld Ruby --> AA 500 mi ecerts

I have some AA 500 mi ecerts left over from when I was a plat on AA 2 yrs ago. Haven't had AA elite status since, so I haven't been able to use them.

I'll have oneworld ruby shortly, thru BA EC. Does anyone know if I can use my ecerts once I have ruby?

If no, any suggestions on how I can use the certs if I don't have elite status thru AA? Thanks
Old Dec 1, 16, 6:17 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by legros83 View Post
I have some AA 500 mi ecerts left over from when I was a plat on AA 2 yrs ago. Haven't had AA elite status since, so I haven't been able to use them.

I'll have oneworld ruby shortly, thru BA EC. Does anyone know if I can use my ecerts once I have ruby?
You cannot.

If no, any suggestions on how I can use the certs if I don't have elite status thru AA? Thanks
You cannot. It used to be theoretically possible in Y and B fares, but it no longer is.
Old Dec 2, 16, 8:21 am

500 Mile Upgrades during Status Challenge

Hello All,
I recently participated in the Platinum Status Challenge and have completed the requirements to meet the challenge. During the time I was participating in the Platinum Status Challenge, I was given interim Gold Status. My question is do I earn 500 mile upgrades during interim gold? I've travelled 15,000 EQM during the time I was interim Gold but do not see it reflected in my account for the 500 mile upgrades.
Old Dec 2, 16, 8:45 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by imytch View Post
Hello All,
I recently participated in the Platinum Status Challenge and have completed the requirements to meet the challenge. During the time I was participating in the Platinum Status Challenge, I was given interim Gold Status. My question is do I earn 500 mile upgrades during interim gold? I've travelled 15,000 EQM during the time I was interim Gold but do not see it reflected in my account for the 500 mile upgrades.
Take a look at the letter they sent you when they approved the challenge. That kind of information should be spelled out there.

Keep in mind that the website does not always update with your 4 stickers right away when you cross the 12,500 mile mark. I've sometimes waited up to 4 days for them to show up.

Also, you can also look at your account in the "miles needed for upgrades" line. If you just completed your challenge and it's at 12,500, they were not crediting miles toward stickers. If they had been, then it would be something less. For example, if you have 15,500 EQMS, then the clock would be at 9,500, which means you should have been credited for the first 12,500 miles and be 3,000 miles into your second cycle.
Old Dec 2, 16, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by coolcoil View Post
Take a look at the letter they sent you when they approved the challenge. That kind of information should be spelled out there.

Keep in mind that the website does not always update with your 4 stickers right away when you cross the 12,500 mile mark. I've sometimes waited up to 4 days for them to show up.

Also, you can also look at your account in the "miles needed for upgrades" line. If you just completed your challenge and it's at 12,500, they were not crediting miles toward stickers. If they had been, then it would be something less. For example, if you have 15,500 EQMS, then the clock would be at 9,500, which means you should have been credited for the first 12,500 miles and be 3,000 miles into your second cycle.

Thanks! It did take several days for it to reflect. I just checked and my account now reflects the 4 stickers.
Old Dec 2, 16, 6:47 pm

I'm sure this has been asked before but a search didn't answer the specific questions.

I'm PLAT with 4 stickers.
My companion has no status but 12 stickers (hasn't flown recently)

If we travel together on the same PNR on a flight that requires more than 4 stickers will/can the extra stickers be pulled out of my companion's account?

Last edited by TraveltheWorld; Dec 2, 16 at 6:53 pm
Old Dec 7, 16, 1:48 pm

AA shows wrong mileage on upgrade request ORD-MCO

Originally Posted by oneant View Post
They apparently DID fix their site. Out of curiosity, I priced out a r/t ORD-MCO flight just now for a random weekend in October and it showed 1005 miles on the same screen OP posted above. Possibly just a temporary glitch with AA.com.........or a tiny wormhole is temporarily open on your day of travel which shortens the trip by 11 miles but AA still wants your stickers for the "wow" factor.
AA has NOT fixed their site. Although 1005 miles are shown as the mileage between ORD and MCO when booking a flight, once booked, and when viewing a record (under the upgrade section), it does in fact still say they will take three 500-mile upgrades for a 994 mile flight. After over an hour on the phone with now six different people at AA (from reservations, to AAdvantage CS to AA.com), no one can explain it and they clearly have no interest in fixing it either.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: