Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2016, 6:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold
AA Gold here. Flight less than 500 miles. Auto-requested upgrade. App reflects that upgrade was requested. Now about 3 hours out from flight, I check the upgrade standby list. However, it simply says "No passengers have requested an upgrade for this flight", which is obviously not true. Any ideas? Should I re-check-in at the kiosk? It's a shame, because less than 24 hours ago 10/12 seats in first class were vacant.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by saFlyTalk
AA Gold here. Flight less than 500 miles. Auto-requested upgrade. App reflects that upgrade was requested. Now about 3 hours out from flight, I check the upgrade standby list. However, it simply says "No passengers have requested an upgrade for this flight", which is obviously not true. Any ideas? Should I re-check-in at the kiosk? It's a shame, because less than 24 hours ago 10/12 seats in first class were vacant.
This is probably a dumb answer, but are you sure that your upgrade hasn't cleared? I have been getting a lot of upgrades confirmed around T-3 (i.e, well after check-in but before the flight goes to airport control) lately. When this happens I do NOT show up on the standby list with a little "check" next to my name (as opposed to upgrades processed by the gate agent where I do see my name on the list and then a check appears after I clear). The only indication of an upgrade is refreshing the mobile BP and seeing a seat assignment in F. Edited to add: make sure to hit the refresh button as it does not always do so every time you open the app.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by upinsmoke
When you get to Platinum Pro, you can use them to upgrade a companion.
You can use them to upgrade a companion as long as you have any elite status. As Gold I have used a single sticker to upgrade my companion on a <500 mile flight, while the upgrade was free for me.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wetrat0
This is probably a dumb answer, but are you sure that your upgrade hasn't cleared? I have been getting a lot of upgrades confirmed around T-3 (i.e, well after check-in but before the flight goes to airport control) lately. When this happens I do NOT show up on the standby list with a little "check" next to my name (as opposed to upgrades processed by the gate agent where I do see my name on the list and then a check appears after I clear). The only indication of an upgrade is refreshing the mobile BP and seeing a seat assignment in F. Edited to add: make sure to hit the refresh button as it does not always do so every time you open the app.
Thanks for the suggestion. In this case, this was not the problem. My name showed on the upgrade list for the second segment of the itinerary though, and I was upgraded. It is an international itinerary (3rd segment is international) booked on a partner airline ticket stock, so I wonder if that has any relationship to the issue.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Question for the board, and apologies if this has been asked, but encountered a situation recently that I haven't seen before. Flying with a companion, both have status (Platinum and Gold), on the same PNR. I had requested the upgrades, but when I went to check-in it informed me that I didn't have enough 500s for the upgrade. Turns out it was trying to pull from my account, and the companions account. Is there a way to request the 500s only come out of my account?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by mlx52
Turns out it was trying to pull from my account, and the companions account. Is there a way to request the 500s only come out of my account?
You have to call to request that one account process I believe. However, when it is too late, you just need to pay and get the e500s otherwise you will lose the upgrade.

Rasheed
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I'm flying DEN-CLT-JFK-HEL.
My mom will be flying on seperate PNR DEN-CLT-JFK-ORD.

I had called in this morning to request she be added to the DEN-CLT flight via my 500 mile upgrades. After that was done checked her AA rez, and it showed an upgrade requested for DEN-CLT and CLT-JFK. I called back to an agent who seemed to have a bit of difficulty un-requesting just the CLT-JFK leg, but she said she did.

I check her reservation now, and it doesn't show the upgrades section at the bottom. Does that mean something is up? I would call back but want to make sure everyone effected by the weather gets through.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Bumping the following question. Just curious if there's a way to get on the upgrade list before day of departure, or at the airport...

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Am I totally SOL and unable to upgrade (with stickers) an AA operated flight bought with an AS flight number?

It was booked in B class via an OTA (by someone else, who apparently doesn't know to avoid codeshares ).
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Am I totally SOL and unable to upgrade (with stickers) an AA operated flight bought with an AS flight number?
Looks like this is answered in the wiki and on AA.com.

Originally Posted by AA.com
AAdvantage® elite status members can upgrade from any purchased, published fare in the Main Cabin to the next class of service on American Airlines marketed and operated flights.
If it has an AS flight number it is marketed by AS so you are SOL. Of course, you can ask at the gate, but it's not likely to get you anywhere.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt
What is the cheapest international flight that I can use my UDU on? And what are some good examples of a domestic flight to take an UDU?

I think I saw that they're flying the 787s on some domestic US routes. Other than that, does anyone have any suggestions?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by madguy2
What is the cheapest international flight that I can use my UDU on? And what are some good examples of a domestic flight to take an UDU?

I think I saw that they're flying the 787s on some domestic US routes. Other than that, does anyone have any suggestions?
UDU is not an AA term. If I recall correctly, that's UA's term for unlimited domestic upgrades. As an EXP, you do get those, but they are not available for international flights.

I assume that you are talking about an SWU (systemwide upgrade) that is given to EXP's, which is like UA's GPU. This is not the right thread for that. You should look in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by coolcoil
UDU is not an AA term. If I recall correctly, that's UA's term for unlimited domestic upgrades. As an EXP, you do get those, but they are not available for international flights.
Of course they are. They can be used for Canada, Central America and Caribbean flights.

As for "the cheapest", there are a lot of variables. It depends on time of year, popularity of the destination as well as competition. There's no single answer.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by Djokison
Of course they are. They can be used for Canada, Central America and Caribbean flights.
You are correct, of course. I had forgotten about those destinations being eligible.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 11:33 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by madguy2

Flights to Central America (e.g., Costa Rica, Panama, etc.) are particularly good flights to try to score a sticker upgrade on because an upgrade comes with lounge access (or at least drink coupons if you already have lounge access through other means). Flights to Costa Rica and Panama also tend to be relatively inexpensive depending on the time of year. SJU is probably the cheapest Caribbean destination.

Transcon flights (i.e., LAX/SFO-JFK) and Hawaii flights are other nice sticker upgrade options, but those are especially rare in my experience unless you're traveling at very off-peak times.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
I've become pretty disheartened by the sticker program as of recent. As a PLT, it's next to impossible out of LGA to use them to any good destination (I mostly fly via DFW or via ORD flights...CLT is huge waste given how short of a flight it is for 2 stickers). Finally have an opportunity that I was excited about, returning ORD to LGA with my wife from a business trip we're extending to Saturday so she can join me in ORD. Saturday, 1pm flight, wide open in first right now. I go to buy tickets and...$157 Y for coach, $226 for Y. $69 for the upgrade? 2 stickers x $40 =$80...and no roulette.

FCM at it's best, I suppose, and this time in my favor....but honestly, what's the point in trying to retain status now that I'm earning 50% of the miles!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.