Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPLT
Originally Posted by no2chem
So recently I bought a domestic ticket about 2h before departure, and I got this:

I guess the AC was able to put me on the upgrade list anyway, and the app shows requested. Anyone else get "not offered" on an otherwise upgradable flight?
I had this happen on a SAT-DFW, and the following DFW-CLT flight. Both showed that upgrades were not available, so I called in and the phone agent manually requested them. Couple days later the website view switched back to normal, showing that they were requested. My trip was booked about 10 days in advance.

Oddly, the CLT-home leg auto-requested correctly from the start.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 11:31 am

What to do with 500 mile upgrades?

Hi -

I have dozens of 500 mile upgrades in my account. I'm a Plat and just re-qualified for Plat for 2017.

On domestic flights I always request upgrades but have had a helluva time actually getting upgraded this year. Used to get them more frequently.

So I'm just wondering if there's any other value to these upgrades that I can leverage some other way.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Nope. On the plus side, they never expire.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by rdstoll
Hi -

I have dozens of 500 mile upgrades in my account. I'm a Plat and just re-qualified for Plat for 2017.

On domestic flights I always request upgrades but have had a helluva time actually getting upgraded this year. Used to get them more frequently.

So I'm just wondering if there's any other value to these upgrades that I can leverage some other way.
Hang in there, one day you will be able to use them!
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'm in the same boat, I have at least 30 stickers in my account, and it is pretty rare I get the chance to use them.

I wish they had a way to use them for international flights. I've been on DFW-NRT/NRT-DFW flights that actually had space in biz, but I didn't want to pay $350 + an obscene amount of miles to upgrade. Even if I had to use 10 or 15 each way, I'd find that a much better use of these (and that I could actually use them).
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by aztimm
I'm in the same boat, I have at least 30 stickers in my account, and it is pretty rare I get the chance to use them.

I wish they had a way to use them for international flights. I've been on DFW-NRT/NRT-DFW flights that actually had space in biz, but I didn't want to pay $350 + an obscene amount of miles to upgrade. Even if I had to use 10 or 15 each way, I'd find that a much better use of these (and that I could actually use them).
I would suspect that this will never happen. Since you can buy upgrades for $40/each the upgrades required for DFW-NRT would cost just $520 to buy outright (assuming space is available). JFK-LHR would only cost $280, which is less than just the copay for the miles upgrade!
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA MM; UA-S; HH-D; Marriott-LTP
Originally Posted by rjw242
Nope. On the plus side, they never expire.
Which is great.

Unfortunately, should you lose status, you won't be able to access the banked upgrades even if space happens to be available. That happened to me...was Platinum, then when work reeled in the travel budget, so there was a time I wasn't able to earn or maintain any elite status. When work eased up on the budget, traveled again, but couldn't access the upgrades until I re-qualified for at least Gold.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by wetrat0
I would suspect that this will never happen. Since you can buy upgrades for $40/each the upgrades required for DFW-NRT would cost just $520 to buy outright (assuming space is available). JFK-LHR would only cost $280, which is less than just the copay for the miles upgrade!
Then make it 15, 20, or even 30 of these stickers. Something that makes sense, and that we could actually use.
I was once offered a $700 upgrade at a kiosk for DFW-NRT. That was much much more than what I'd want to pay.

US used to have dynamic pricing of upgrades to their biz (they called it Envoy). I've paid as little as $300 for MUC-PHL, on an old B767, and that seemed a good price.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
I think our sticker upgrades have cleared ONCE this year, and my wife and I are both going to easily requalify for PLT. And we usually fly off-peak too. Has been nuts this year.

IIRC you used to be able to trade in stickers for miles but I'm sure LCC has no intention of reinstating that.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
When you get to Platinum Pro, you can use them to upgrade a companion.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Would be great if we could trade in stickers @ $40 a pop to apply to the copay portion of a miles + copay upgrade! Essentially could become miles + stickers; I've got a ton of both so probably would bite every now and then.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
British based AA Plat here with 40+ "stickers" in the bank. I'm in the same boat as the rest of you... I'd love a way to trade these in for RDMs or perhaps use 3x the distance value to upgrade on long haul. But sadly tis not to be.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:52 pm

It's funny how different travel patterns can result in different upgrade rates. I just checked my records and over the last 5 years I've bought about 50 stickers. I use them much faster than I earn 'em. Of course lately an up-fare to F is often comparable to the cost of stickers, making stickers much less valuable.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Am I totally SOL and unable to upgrade (with stickers) an AA operated flight bought with an AS flight number?

It was booked in B class via an OTA (by someone else, who apparently doesn't know to avoid codeshares ).
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by aztimm

I would like to be able to use stickers to upgrade to premium economy. We can always hope

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.