Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Old Aug 23, 16, 5:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by XLR26 View Post
Is there any way to upgrade a companion who's on the same flight but a different PNR?
Originally Posted by _kurt View Post
Not using 500-mile upgrades.
Unless something has changed recently, you definitely can upgrade a companion on another PNR. Just call your elite status line with both PNRs handy and request it.
Old Aug 23, 16, 9:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Microwave View Post
Unless something has changed recently, you definitely can upgrade a companion on another PNR. Just call your elite status line with both PNRs handy and request it.
I have done this as recently as May and it worked fine.
Old Aug 25, 16, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
E - 500 expiration question and Award ticket question

I have 20 e 500 upgrades that AA deposited in my account. If they go unused, does AA convert them to miles and deposit them into my account? I know that UA did this way back when.

How far out will AA confirm an upgrade using E 500's for domestic travel?

Can I use these upgrades when using miles for an award ticket? N.B. I have Platinum status.

Thanks.
dh
Old Aug 25, 16, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA - Platinum, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Executive, NEXUS
Never expire, never convert to anything else.

Somewhere between 72 hours and the gate. (for PLAT)

No.
Old Aug 25, 16, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dhammer53 View Post
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt View Post
Somewhere between 72 hours and the gate. (for PLAT)
Or, it must be said, not at all. The upgrades are space-available, not guaranteed.
Old Aug 26, 16, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by dhammer53 View Post
I have 20 e 500 upgrades that AA deposited in my account. If they go unused, does AA convert them to miles and deposit them into my account? I know that UA did this way back when.

Can I use these upgrades when using miles for an award ticket? N.B. I have Platinum status.

Thanks.
dh
The Wiki above should answer many of your questions and more...

AA continues to lock down the usefulness of their award instruments and these are not an exception.
Old Aug 26, 16, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA SMiles
Interestingly, yesterday I (as a Platinum) could request an domestic flight upgrade with stickers (from CLT to DFW) on an Award Roundtrip.

My best guess is that stickers cannot be used on awards flights, nor there is the "upgrade request" little checkbok. But on my award flight, there was the "upgrade request" checkbok.

As of today, the checkbox is still marked and it says "upgrade requested".
In another awards bookings, the "upgrade request" checkbox isn't even there.

Pretty weird huh?

Question is: If the upgrade request checkbox remains intact till the flight day. Will I receive the upgrade if available?
If it is a glitch and upgrade is denied: Could I argue successfully that my award provided for an upgrade request with stickers?
Old Aug 26, 16, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave View Post
Wow, I had totally forgotten that was possible, but it's clearly documented on aa.com and in the wiki:
AAdvantage elite status members can request an upgrade for a single companion traveling on the same flight using 500-mile upgrades as payment
If your companion is booked in a different reservation, call Reservations to link the reservations
Mea culpa!
Old Aug 27, 16, 7:31 am

Programs: AA SMiles
Originally Posted by pinksalsa View Post
Interestingly, yesterday I (as a Platinum) could request an domestic flight upgrade with stickers (from CLT to DFW) on an Award Roundtrip.

My best guess is that stickers cannot be used on awards flights, nor there is the "upgrade request" little checkbok. But on my award flight, there was the "upgrade request" checkbok.

As of today, the checkbox is still marked and it says "upgrade requested".
In another awards bookings, the "upgrade request" checkbox isn't even there.

Pretty weird huh?

Question is: If the upgrade request checkbox remains intact till the flight day. Will I receive the upgrade if available?
If it is a glitch and upgrade is denied: Could I argue successfully that my award provided for an upgrade request with stickers?
some expert's opinion here about this?
Old Aug 27, 16, 1:30 pm

Sorry for the newbie question - tried searching the thread but couldn't find a clear answer - do non-elite companions of EXPs get auto-upgraded if they are traveling on the same ticket?
Old Aug 27, 16, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by K's Logic View Post
Sorry for the newbie question - tried searching the thread but couldn't find a clear answer - do non-elite companions of EXPs get auto-upgraded if they are traveling on the same ticket?
No. You can request they get upgraded, however, it is NOT complementary. 500-mile upgrades will come out of their account unless they don't have any then they will come out of your account.

I believe the Wiki at the top of the page also addresses this.
Old Aug 27, 16, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
No. You can request they get upgraded, however, it is NOT complementary. 500-mile upgrades will come out of their account unless they don't have any then they will come out of your account.

I believe the Wiki at the top of the page also addresses this.
My confusion comes in part from the following statement from the wiki:

"Executive Platinums do not earn, or need, 500 mile upgrades, but they can use them for one traveling companion."

The wiki doesn't say how many EXPs have or how they are received so I'm wondering how it would apply in this situation.
Old Aug 27, 16, 9:25 pm

When two elites travel on the same PNR how to ensure all stickers are pulled from one account?
Old Aug 27, 16, 9:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by K's Logic View Post
My confusion comes in part from the following statement from the wiki:

"Executive Platinums do not earn, or need, 500 mile upgrades, but they can use them for one traveling companion."

The wiki doesn't say how many EXPs have or how they are received so I'm wondering how it would apply in this situation.
EXPs have as many as they earned prior to becoming EXP and haven't spent (I've still 23 in my account, down from 43 14 years ago) or as many as they wish to purchase. But we don't earn any because of UDU.
Old Aug 27, 16, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
EXPs have as many as they earned prior to becoming EXP and haven't spent (I've still 23 in my account, down from 43 14 years ago) or as many as they wish to purchase. But we don't earn any because of UDU.
Ok got it. But that begs the question - once the 500m upgrades are gone, and being that EXPs can't earn them, is the only recourse then to purchase them?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: