Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond, UA Silver
I am so frustrated. I just had 5 stickers removed from my account on a day I didn't fly. When I called, I was told that my account was adjusted due to an audit that AA completed. Agent said they didn't reduce stickers from a flight in January, and another flight from last year.

According to the agent, they had a glitch where they were failing to reduce stickers for certain flights. I have no idea if these are legit or not, and I have no way to question this. Agent said they are doing this going back as far as 2 years to correct.

Agent, who was rude and condescending to me, made me even more pissed off. Sure doesn't seem reasonable to charge a customer for their mistake after this much time.

Last edited by Cooper21; Jul 21, 2016 at 6:55 am
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:34 pm

Upgrades

I have a general question about upgrades. On a flight that would require 2 of the 500 mile upgrades....if no one requests upgrades on the flight, would they them upgrade based on status for free, meaning you won't use 2 of your 500 mile upgrades?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by machong
I have a general question about upgrades. On a flight that would require 2 of the 500 mile upgrades....if no one requests upgrades on the flight, would they them upgrade based on status for free, meaning you won't use 2 of your 500 mile upgrades?
Only if the flight is oversold and they need to move coach passengers into First. In this scenario, Elites would be moved before non-status passengers. But lazy GAs might also dump non-elites without seat assignments into those empty seats just to make their lives easier.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
In general no. On MD80's from MSY-DFW, have seen open seats in F.

Free upgrades are likely if economy is oversold.

Sometimes asking if the flight is oversold and in need of volunteers will get a couple of complimentary upgrades.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by sukn
Only if the flight is oversold and they need to move coach passengers into First. In this scenario, Elites would be moved before non-status passengers. But lazy GAs might also dump non-elites without seat assignments into those empty seats just to make their lives easier.
And lazy or incompetent GAs might also do it incorrectly whereby UG "stickers" still wind up being deducted from the account of the Op-Up'd pax who didn't want to pay for an UG on that particular flight.

I've had it happen.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:42 pm

Thank you both for answering my question.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Buying upgrades: confused.

Is it true that if you request upgrades with 500-mile upgrades that you bought, and they don't go through, they count as being used and are not refunded? Thanks for any clarification!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by abaa
Is it true that if you request upgrades with 500-mile upgrades that you bought, and they don't go through, they count as being used and are not refunded? Thanks for any clarification!
You will not be refunded the amount you paid for the upgrades, but they also won't count as "used," in that you'll keep the paid/purchased upgrades and be able to use them on subsequent flights.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by dkc192
You will not be refunded the amount you paid for the upgrades, but they also won't count as "used," in that you'll keep the paid/purchased upgrades and be able to use them on subsequent flights.
Wonderful, thanks very much!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by dingo
I read the wiki and didn't see this answered.

Me: EP
Comp 1: Gold
Comp 2: Gold

I have a flight of around 900 miles.

I spoke EP service and was told I could only upgrade one of my companions and myself, and that doing so in advance would burn 2 500 mile upgrades for me, and 2 for my one companion.

Then she said something about an airport upgrade and I got confused.

What are my options to get all three of us upgraded, assuming I don't want to use a system wide? I'd like to use my stickers if I can.
Sorry to quote myself; still confused. I've always been EP or Chairmans w/ US so I'm not clear on using the stickers.

Is my only choice, if I want to use the stickers, to do so at the airport? Is there some sort of upgrade window?

My upgrade won't clear at the window b/c of the companions; I get that. Can I use stickers for both my wife and daughter?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:39 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dingo
Sorry to quote myself; still confused. I've always been EP or Chairmans w/ US so I'm not clear on using the stickers.

Is my only choice, if I want to use the stickers, to do so at the airport? Is there some sort of upgrade window?

My upgrade won't clear at the window b/c of the companions; I get that. Can I use stickers for both my wife and daughter?
You are EP, so it shouldn't cost you any stickers. It would cost 2 stickers for anyone who is not EP.

I don't know if you really can only upgrade 1 person. I've never tried to upgrade more than one.

What I would do is login to my AA account and look at the reservation. Down the bottom there should be a check box to "request an upgrade". If it is there, check it. If it isn't there, call and ask to have everyone upgraded. If they say you can only upgrade one, ask to "split the record" to remove someone (your wife). If that doesn't work HUCA (hang up, call again).

You might wind up sitting in coach with your wife and daughter in FC. I.E. if I got two people upgraded, I'd be sure to give the seats to the wife and daughter - once you board there generally isn't a problem with that sort of seat switching before takeoff even after 9/11.

Finally, it is impossible to tell when the upgrades would clear. As Plat, I have sometimes had upgrades clear a week out. It all depends. If the flight is oversold in coach and empty in FC, American has done that. However, if it is a popular business travel route, the upgrades might not clear until at the gate if at all (especially for Golds).

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited by stc; Jul 26, 2016 at 6:41 pm Reason: tried to fix some typos
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, OnBusiness, Eurostar C.Blanche
First Timer

Hey guys,

I recently reached Platinum with AA and have amassed a few 500 mile upgrades of which I am planning to use 4 on my upcoming DFW-BOS trip.

-I requested the upgrade while booking the ticket a few months back,
-I have enough upgrades to cover the needed amount,
-it is less than 72 hrs before departure
-and despite Expertflyer still showing 6 award upgrade seats available, I have not been upgraded yet.... despite the 72 hrs window for Platinums.

Does this usually mean that AA has not processed the list yet?
Or that other status holders have been processed ahead of me, etc?

What is your experience?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:05 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by superexistant
Hey guys,

I recently reached Platinum with AA and have amassed a few 500 mile upgrades of which I am planning to use 4 on my upcoming DFW-BOS trip.

-I requested the upgrade while booking the ticket a few months back,
-I have enough upgrades to cover the needed amount,
-it is less than 72 hrs before departure
-and despite Expertflyer still showing 6 award upgrade seats available, I have not been upgraded yet.... despite the 72 hrs window for Platinums.

Does this usually mean that AA has not processed the list yet?
Or that other status holders have been processed ahead of me, etc?

What is your experience?
Expertflyer does not show 500 mile upgrade availability. You are seeing SWU/Miles+co-pay/revenue A availability.

The 72 hours is the the EARLIEST you can be upgraded, not the guaranteed upgrade time.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:14 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Depending on time of day and day of week, I've found DFW-BOS to be a tough nut to crack as a Plat. 0% success on that route for me.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, OnBusiness, Eurostar C.Blanche
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Expertflyer does not show 500 mile upgrade availability. You are seeing SWU/Miles+co-pay/revenue A availability.

The 72 hours is the the EARLIEST you can be upgraded, not the guaranteed upgrade time.
Gotcha! Thank you for the clarification!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.