Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Old Jul 7, 16, 1:56 pm
  #391  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Posts: 1,086
What should I do if I'm travelling with another person and I want to be upgraded but not have my companion loose the exit row seating I reserved beside me? I have EXP status and my companion has no status.
FLYDCA is offline  
Old Jul 8, 16, 6:47 am
  #392  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10
Decoupling...a bit more

Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
I'm not sure what you are regarding as a recent change, but if you clear an upgrade into a higher cabin then those who were on the same ticket do lose seating privileges that they received when you were in the same cabin. This is not a new thing, but it may now be more consistently enforced.
My long experience with Am West, the USAIR, has been that travelers sharing an itinerary also share the privileges of the flyer who made the res. My wife and I have often upgraded together on my CP (in the old days) or EP today. And when an agent handled the res on the phone she moved us up together. Now there is no upgrade window...I was upgraded at the gate yesterday...and my wife was not moved with me. (On the Bos to phl leg we upgraded tigether automatically and 2 seats in first were empty while the back was full.). OK, so upgrades are free and you get what you get, but airlines want us to view loyalty as a value proposition: we give them our travel money, they give us perks. I think airlines are returning so little for our loyalty that membersip and status have all but lost meaning. I bought the costly citi card to get into clubs rather than count on absurd access rules to let me in when it mattered. Maybe to hell with loyalty and move to getting what you pay for?

At some point it is too much trouble to keep up with arcane and changing rules, and nonconforming practices.
AZ_ED is offline  
Old Jul 8, 16, 10:04 am
  #393  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,329
Originally Posted by FLYDCA View Post
What should I do if I'm travelling with another person and I want to be upgraded but not have my companion loose the exit row seating I reserved beside me? I have EXP status and my companion has no status.
I'm not sure how much is done by the system or required to be done by the GA. An approach I've used in the past is to give the upgrade to my companion to show me as being in Y. Who actually sits where has never been a concern, just no switching during the flight. Of course this only works when it's ok to be separated or the rest of the trip is a bit strained.
RogerD408 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 16, 10:50 am
  #394  
stc
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Newton Centre, MA, USA
Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Posts: 2,172
Originally Posted by FLYDCA View Post
What should I do if I'm travelling with another person and I want to be upgraded but not have my companion loose the exit row seating I reserved beside me? I have EXP status and my companion has no status.
I've never had a problem with my companion losing their seat after I was upgraded. Of course, I'm not trying to split the record or anything like that.
stc is offline  
Old Jul 8, 16, 1:18 pm
  #395  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: PHL
Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAEE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, US CP (RIP)
Posts: 2,080
Originally Posted by stc View Post
I've never had a problem with my companion losing their seat after I was upgraded. Of course, I'm not trying to split the record or anything like that.
Agreed. Not been an issue as long as non-status companion does not try to change seats or the aircraft doesn't change. Basically if there is no reason to touch the seat assignment the companion shouldn't lose their exit row/ MCE seat.
Segments is offline  
Old Jul 14, 16, 9:49 am
  #396  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
[HELP] AADVANTAGE - 500 Miles Upgrades

Well, this time i will need somehelp, instead posting some deals!

Last year, 0 EQM on AADV, travelled DEC 21 and returned 02 JAN, total of 19k EQM.

This year, June 28, travelled about more 18k EQM, turned GOLD. On this return trip (july 8th), more 18k EQM (return trip) and turned AADV PLAT.

The thing is, i current have 55k EQM, but only 4 x 500 Miles Upgrade. Shouldnt be 4 @ every 12.5k EQM since gold?

Sorry for the trouble and my best regards,

BPOA
brumpoa is offline  
Old Jul 14, 16, 12:34 pm
  #397  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BWI
Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Posts: 15,127
Originally Posted by brumpoa View Post
Well, this time i will need somehelp, instead posting some deals!

Last year, 0 EQM on AADV, travelled DEC 21 and returned 02 JAN, total of 19k EQM.

This year, June 28, travelled about more 18k EQM, turned GOLD. On this return trip (july 8th), more 18k EQM (return trip) and turned AADV PLAT.

The thing is, i current have 55k EQM, but only 4 x 500 Miles Upgrade. Shouldnt be 4 @ every 12.5k EQM since gold?

Sorry for the trouble and my best regards,

BPOA
Someone can chime in and correct, but I think it starts the flight after you turn gold. So if you're one a flight that lands you at 30k before hitting gold (like a long haul), your starting point would be 30k. It should tell you online how many EQMs you need to get your next 4 certs.

I know earlier this year, before the switch from 10k to 12.5k, they awarded certs on a prorated basis until a certain date (I'm thinking Feb or Mar 1). As I was at 9.8k, that was my starting point for the 12.5k. My next 12.5k threshold is around 60k.
Superguy is offline  
Old Jul 14, 16, 12:51 pm
  #398  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Posts: 2,363
Correct, EQMs earned while holding no status (as well as those while EXP) do not count towards the 500mi cert earning. Once you hit Gold, subsequent EQMs are the ones that count towards earning the certs.
akcae is offline  
Old Jul 14, 16, 1:06 pm
  #399  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
Thank you for the replies guys..

Since i had 19k... i hit gold with 25k...

From 25k (gold) to 55k (atual), shouldnt be 2 x 4-500miles?

Once again, thank you very much

BPOA
brumpoa is offline  
Old Jul 14, 16, 1:39 pm
  #400  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MDE
Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Posts: 1,501
Here is my interpretation:

First, miles earned on outbound flight in December do not come into this, as the EQM counter went back to zero on January 1 and OP did not have any EQM's count toward stickers until AFTER the June 28 flight.

Jan 2: earned 19K miles

June 28: earned 18K miles. Total is now 37K and turned GLD, so stickers counter starts on next flight at 12,500

July 8: earned 18K more miles. OP became PLT, but this is not relevant since it does not affect stickers earning. This was the first flight where miles counted toward earning stickers. So, 4 stickers awarded for 12.5K miles and the other 5.5K miles go towards earning the next set of stickers. OP's account should show about 7K miles needed to earn the second set of stickers.
coolcoil is offline  
Old Jul 14, 16, 1:40 pm
  #401  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
Well, that makes sense.

Thank you very much and my best regards,

BPOA
brumpoa is offline  
Old Jul 14, 16, 2:32 pm
  #402  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BWI
Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Posts: 15,127
Originally Posted by coolcoil View Post
Here is my interpretation:

First, miles earned on outbound flight in December do not come into this, as the EQM counter went back to zero on January 1 and OP did not have any EQM's count toward stickers until AFTER the June 28 flight.

Jan 2: earned 19K miles

June 28: earned 18K miles. Total is now 37K and turned GLD, so stickers counter starts on next flight at 12,500

July 8: earned 18K more miles. OP became PLT, but this is not relevant since it does not affect stickers earning. This was the first flight where miles counted toward earning stickers. So, 4 stickers awarded for 12.5K miles and the other 5.5K miles go towards earning the next set of stickers. OP's account should show about 7K miles needed to earn the second set of stickers.
I think the quesiton would be was that 18k earned in one flight or multiple? If it was earned on a long haul in C/F, say like LAX-SYD, then I can see that putting the starting line at 37k.

But if it were more like earned 6k one flight, 12k the second, the should start counting toward the 12.5k, assuming the 6k one put the OP over 25k to begin with.

It can take a few days for e500s to show up. Depending on your specific situation, you can always call AA and have them explain to you where they're starting you at and why.
Superguy is offline  
Old Jul 14, 16, 2:46 pm
  #403  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by Superguy View Post
I think the quesiton would be was that 18k earned in one flight or multiple? If it was earned on a long haul in C/F, say like LAX-SYD, then I can see that putting the starting line at 37k.

But if it were more like earned 6k one flight, 12k the second, the should start counting toward the 12.5k, assuming the 6k one put the OP over 25k to begin with.

It can take a few days for e500s to show up. Depending on your specific situation, you can always call AA and have them explain to you where they're starting you at and why.
You do have a point.

I was @ 19,5k EQM, then a J GRU->LAX, F LAX->HNL, and backwards, same cabins.

Thanks guys, you rock

Best regards,

BPOA
brumpoa is offline  
Old Jul 14, 16, 2:55 pm
  #404  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BWI
Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Posts: 15,127
Originally Posted by brumpoa View Post
You do have a point.

I was @ 19,5k EQM, then a J GRU->LAX, F LAX->HNL, and backwards, same cabins.

Thanks guys, you rock

Best regards,

BPOA
Looking at that, your line should be at 31-32k as GRU-LAX would put net you around 12,250 EQMs with the 2x multiplier (assuming discounted C here). Everything after that should have counted toward your 12.5k totals.

Unless, AA did something screwy and posted LAX-HNL first and put you just under 24k, which would move your line to 37k. I'd complain in that instance.
Superguy is offline  
Old Jul 14, 16, 3:12 pm
  #405  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
Actually,

GRU->LAX was in FARE R
LAX ->HNL was in FARE P

HNL->LAX was in FARE P
LAX->GRU was in FARE I
brumpoa is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: