Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Old Jul 1, 16, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by FlyinMike View Post
They cleared 2 more. $80 buys a lot of Woodford though!
Order early before they run out.
Old Jul 1, 16, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by stc View Post
Is that really the case? I have failed to get added to the gate upgrade list in the past when I did not have enough stickers.

I've pretty much just taken to buying whatever stickers I need for the days flight in advance. Especially with the change to 4 stickers per 12,500 miles, I never seem to earn enough stickers. So, I'm going to need to buy them sooner or later.
I have had at least two examples where this is the case, but both were companions. One of them prompted this thread. My son's upgrade cleared about 4 hours before departure but he couldn't get a BP because the system incorrectly counted the number of stickers in my account. I had to buy two more in the BOS AC in order for them to produce his BP.
Old Jul 1, 16, 5:24 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
I have had at least two examples where this is the case, but both were companions. One of them prompted this thread. My son's upgrade cleared about 4 hours before departure but he couldn't get a BP because the system incorrectly counted the number of stickers in my account. I had to buy two more in the BOS AC in order for them to produce his BP.
But, those cases both seem to be clearing before hitting the airport upgrade list. My understanding is the airport upgrade list is not active until 2-4 hours before the flight.
Old Jul 2, 16, 7:12 pm

I have 10 e500 upgrades in my account, but, i no longer have any status with AA.
So, that menas I can't use them now, they just sit there?
Old Jul 3, 16, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Auscal View Post
I have 10 e500 upgrades in my account, but, i no longer have any status with AA.
So, that menas I can't use them now, they just sit there?
Yes, they do not not expire and should you ever make status again or travel with someone with status you can use them.
Old Jul 5, 16, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by airinjay View Post
I can't seem to find this anywhere online, nor do gate agents have a consistent answer...

I'm a Platinum. On American (Pre-merger), it used to be that you could show up to the airport and request directly from a gate agent to be put on the upgrade list. They would then simply add you to the list. Then, if you get cleared, you're golden. Nothing changed to your account.

Now, in seemingly random instances, if I do the same thing, my 500 mile upgrades are being deducted from my account (obviously only in cases when I'm upgraded). I'm getting inconsistent "rules" from different GAs saying even if I request to be put on the upgrade list at the gate itself, it will still eat my 500 mile balance, while other times the GA seems to use a code where I simply get upgraded the old way (not deducting the 500 mile upgrades).

What is going on? What's the rule? What code are they supposed to use for standby upgrades??

Also, I understand how 500 mile upgrades are earned and used so not asking about using them.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
I believe what you've experienced before is what's called an OP-UP, for operational upgrade. This is where the GA has decided to upgrade your seat with the assumption they would be able to clear a standby into coach. This is a very last ditch effort to fill the plane and are few and far between for many people, if at all. AA is a company in the business to make money, providing transportation is secondary. So if they can "charge" either cash or other instrument, that goes to their bottom line. Good customer service no longer means anything to businesses.
So, I think I had a similar situation happen the other day.

I was at the gate for a flight from DFW to LIR. Checking the seat map I saw there was one seat left in business, and no one on the upgrade list. I asked the gate agent to be listed, and she did so. That flight was 1700, so it would have required 4 stickers. I only had 2 in my account.

The upgrade ended up clearing mid-boarding, after I was seated in my economy seat, so the agent ran down and delivered my new boarding pass.

The flight was fairly full when I checked the seat map T-1H, but there were more than enough to cover the two standbys listed on the monitor.

My account hasn't reflected a change in balance, but that flight was only 3 days ago.

1) When listing for an upgrade at the gate, do you need to have the requisite number of stickers in your account?
2) Can you go into a negative sticker balance?
Old Jul 7, 16, 5:58 am

Decoupling

Has anyone else been inconvenienced by the recented decoupling of tickets bought together? It used to be if I bought the tickets then both traveled together with same status and upgrade privileges. Now tickets are separated by statusand so requested upgrades can cause unexpected separation. Has anyone refused an upgrade under thise circumstances and retained original seat? I am EP and feeling generally ill-treated by AA for this and other reasons and am ready to jump. Do others dislike the recent changes? Are you leaving for other airlines? I live in Boston and think there are better choices....
Old Jul 7, 16, 6:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'm not sure what you are regarding as a recent change, but if you clear an upgrade into a higher cabin then those who were on the same ticket do lose seating privileges that they received when you were in the same cabin. This is not a new thing, but it may now be more consistently enforced.
Old Jul 7, 16, 7:18 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
I think you need to provide more detail on the exact circumstances of this "decoupling". AA still lets you have more than one person on the same reservation, but when it comes to the airport upgrade standby list the individual pax get separated by status. An agent at the airport can fix this, but that by itself doesn't cause the reservation to split. Only if one of you gets upgraded and the other does not will the reservation be automatically split.
Old Jul 7, 16, 7:44 am

This happened to me just last week. Gate agent offered me an upgrade but I declined because only one was available and I was traveling with spouse. GA said I could give the upgrade to my spouse but we wanted to sit together. I don't think there has been a recent change, or that the system causes a problem that going to another airline would solve.
Old Jul 7, 16, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
I think you need to provide more detail on the exact circumstances of this "decoupling".
Was this a conscious decoupling?
Old Jul 7, 16, 10:12 am
STG

Programs: AA Plat, Avis PP, Marriott / SPG Plat, WN ALP
My wife and I are both AA Plat, but every time we're upgraded we are separated. I've contacted AA multiple times about this, but the most I've gotten was "It's not supposed to be that way... We're not sure why it's happening." One time there was only 1 other person in FC, but the AA system still put us in 1A and 3F. The GA was able to fix it, but even she was stunned that the system would break us apart like that.

At one point, I wrote AA an email and said we were moving to B6 for our travel. They profusely apologized and ask what they could do to keep us as customers. I told them about the FC upgrade issues we've been having and their response was the same as all previous responses: "It's not supposed to be that way... We're not sure why it's happening." I've never once had anyone at AA offer to look into it or try to fix it for us. I know they don't care about Plat members, but I'm surprised they're not doing more for you as an EP.
Old Jul 7, 16, 11:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by STG View Post
My wife and I are both AA Plat, but every time we're upgraded we are separated. I've contacted AA multiple times about this, but the most I've gotten was "It's not supposed to be that way... We're not sure why it's happening." One time there was only 1 other person in FC, but the AA system still put us in 1A and 3F. The GA was able to fix it, but even she was stunned that the system would break us apart like that.

At one point, I wrote AA an email and said we were moving to B6 for our travel. They profusely apologized and ask what they could do to keep us as customers. I told them about the FC upgrade issues we've been having and their response was the same as all previous responses: "It's not supposed to be that way... We're not sure why it's happening." I've never once had anyone at AA offer to look into it or try to fix it for us. I know they don't care about Plat members, but I'm surprised they're not doing more for you as an EP.
For every flight you take with JetBlue, you should send in a copy of your receipt to AA's executive offices letting them know this is revenue lost due to them not fixing the specific bug in the upgrade system. Let them know to inform you when they will have the system fixed so that you can purchase flights from AA again. At the end of the day, it's the lost revenue that will get someone to get off their a** and actually do something.
Old Jul 7, 16, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by GNRMatt View Post
For every flight you take with JetBlue, you should send in a copy of your receipt to AA's executive offices letting them know this is revenue lost due to them not fixing the specific bug in the upgrade system. Let them know to inform you when they will have the system fixed so that you can purchase flights from AA again. At the end of the day, it's the lost revenue that will get someone to get off their a** and actually do something.
I love this idea.
Old Jul 7, 16, 1:17 pm

This issue also discussed in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...nt-issues.html

Search this Thread
Search Engine: