Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Old Jun 28, 16, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Lucky7dawg View Post
I recently bumped up in status to Platinum. I had gold, but didn't take advantage of the upgrades too much (once or twice). I figured with Platinum my chances would increase dramatically.

I recently booked two flights W-F to chicago this week and next week.

I requested an upgrade using my 500 mile upgrade allotment. I havent received it for my wednesday flight but would check how many seats were open and only saw 1. I did notice some bulk head seats cleared up so I figure they got the upgrades. I cant complain with an exit row seat and no one in front of me though.

Now I am in the 72 hour range for my Friday flight as well. I have checked the status of that flight and see 9 open seats in first class. I assume I would clear but it's weird to me that I haven't cleared yet. Any idea on the timeframe that I typically would clear? I would worry if it got to 24 hours because then gold members could potentially clear as well.

Can someone explain to a newb, how exactly this works? If I haven't cleared by tomorrow night, do you think I should call AA or would they laugh at me?
If you have requested your upgrade there is no need to call AA. If an upgrade is available it will be cleared automatically.

In your case for the Friday flight, you will not be jumped in line by a Gold. Your status gives you preference for an upgrade before their request is cleared. AA can clear you 72 hours before the flight but is not required to and often will not until closer to the departure. You may not clear until right before boarding.
Old Jun 28, 16, 11:50 pm

Thanks for the info guys!
Old Jun 29, 16, 11:05 am

Programs: Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; IHG Gold
I recently bumped up in status to Platinum. I had gold, but didn't take advantage of the upgrades too much (once or twice). I figured with Platinum my chances would increase dramatically.

I requested an upgrade using my 500 mile upgrade allotment. I havent received it for my wednesday flight but would check how many seats were open and only saw 1. I did notice some bulk head seats cleared up so I figure they got the upgrades. I cant complain with an exit row seat and no one in front of me though.

Now I am in the 72 hour range for my Friday flight as well. I have checked the status of that flight and see 9 open seats in first class. I assume I would clear but it's weird to me that I haven't cleared yet. Any idea on the timeframe that I typically would clear? I would worry if it got to 24 hours because then gold members could potentially clear as well.

Can someone explain to a newb, how exactly this works? If I haven't cleared by tomorrow night, do you think I should call AA or would they laugh at me?
Looking at the seatmap on AA is a bit misleading for multiple reasons: Not everyone who has a ticket has picked a seat yet; AA doesn't make all the "open" seats available for upgrade, even a day or two out; there might be ExPlats still waiting for upgrade.

Also, there's been a fair amount of anecdotal evidence reported in Has AA eliminated the upgrade window [for elites?] that AA is holding back somewhat on upgrading elites at the T-100 and T-72 marks compared to past practice. I hope you'll report your outcome there.

As others have said, calling won't accomplish anything. If it hasn't cleared by the time you get to the airport, make sure you're on the waitlist there and talk to the GA if you're not.
Old Jun 30, 16, 9:09 am

Was hoping someone can help me clarify something. I am flying tomorrow MIA to PHL which is scheduled for a 767-300 retrofit. I'm AA Gold. Expert Flyer shows A7. Also the seatmap shows 13 seats still unoccupied.

I do not have enough 500 mile upgrades in my account for myself and my companion, but am willing to buy if the upgrade clears. I have checked in, and then called AA to confirm I am still on the upgrade list. They said I was and that I would not be passed over and if I get the upgrade and will just have to pay at the airport. Is this true or is the agent giving me false information? Also, when I go into the app, I do not see the upgrade list.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mike814; Jun 30, 16 at 9:17 am
Old Jun 30, 16, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by mike814 View Post
Was hoping someone can help me clarify something. I am flying tomorrow MIA to PHL which is scheduled for a 767-300 retrofit. I'm AA Gold. Expert Flyer shows A7. Also the seatmap shows 13 seats still unoccupied.

I do not have enough 500 mile upgrades in my account for myself and my companion, but am willing to buy if the upgrade clears. I have checked in, and then called AA to confirm I am still on the upgrade list. They said I was and that I would not be passed over and if I get the upgrade and will just have to pay at the airport. Is this true or is the agent giving me false information? Also, when I go into the app, I do not see the upgrade list.

Thanks in advance.
I believe you are still on the advance upgrade list in this case. If you clear, you will not be able to get your new boarding pass until you get more stickers. And if you do not clear in advance, I do not believe you can get on the airport upgrade list until you have the required number of stickers.
Old Jun 30, 16, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by aamilesslave View Post
I believe you are still on the advance upgrade list in this case. If you clear, you will not be able to get your new boarding pass until you get more stickers. And if you do not clear in advance, I do not believe you can get on the airport upgrade list until you have the required number of stickers.
I think that's what I'm starting to understand from more research. I guess the real question is, when do they start clearing form the airport list. My assumption (maybe a bad one) is that its at T-45 or so. I just want to make sure that I won't get skipped (though its too late now, trying to make sure I don't mess it up in the future). I also kind of want to confirm with airport agent my spot on list before I pay for the upgrade.
Old Jun 30, 16, 10:30 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mike814 View Post
I think that's what I'm starting to understand from more research. I guess the real question is, when do they start clearing form the airport list. My assumption (maybe a bad one) is that its at T-45 or so. I just want to make sure that I won't get skipped (though its too late now, trying to make sure I don't mess it up in the future). I also kind of want to confirm with airport agent my spot on list before I pay for the upgrade.
It really depends on the flight and lots of other things including earlier in the day travel delays. In my experience I have either cleared hours before or in the last 45 minutes or so. But, as others have pointed out you can't get on the airport upgrade list without enough stickers. Which means that once the flight goes under airport control (which I think is T-2 hours), you are out of luck.
Old Jun 30, 16, 10:36 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat

I think you are being overly optimistic. If there is a lot of walk up last minute travel, American is likely to not clear anyone (esp at Plat) beforehand on a Friday afternoon between major cities.) What city are you flying from? If it is a major city like Boston, I think you have a snowballs chance in July of getting an upgrade on a Friday afternoon. Your only hope may be that it is a semi-holiday and a lot of business travelers will not be traveling. I was just pleasantly surprised as a Plat to clear an upgrade from BOS-DFW on Friday afternoon. But, I have often showed up at the airport for Thu or Fri afternoon flights between BOS and hubs and visa versa to see 30+ people on the airport upgrade list and for me to be number 20. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Old Jun 30, 16, 1:45 pm

I admit I did not read the entire thread; however, I did not find an answer in the wiki. I also posted in the newbie thread but no one replied.

My SO and I are on the same reservation; she is Gold, I am Platinum. I requested sticker upgrades, and they came through. However, she has way more stickers than I do, and I would like to use her stickers, not mine.

The AA phone agent said my stickers had been blocked off and she couldn't change it, but it could be changed at check-in. Is that really how it is done? In any case I would not normally need to stop at the check-in desk. Is there any other way?
Old Jul 1, 16, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Will the checkin agents tell you where you will be on the list, or at least if there are any Explats on it? I'm short 2 stickers, but today's ewr-phx shows 1 seat left. I'm Plat, so I don't want to spend $80 to not get upgraded when I can not get upgraded for free.

I have not checked in yet and thought waiting until the airport would be a better option.

Last edited by FlyinMike; Jul 1, 16 at 12:51 pm
Old Jul 1, 16, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinMike View Post
Will the checkin agents tell you where you will be on the list, or at least if there are any Explats on it? I'm short 2 stickers, but today's ewr-phx shows 1 seat left. I'm Plat, so I don't want to spend $80 to not get upgraded when I can not get upgraded for free.

I have not checked in yet and thought waiting until the airport would be a better option.
Yes, the agents can tell you, as will the AA app starting 4 hours before departure.

There is no need to buy the stickers in advance. Your upgrade will still clear even if you don't have the stickers in your account. You just won't be able to check in or get a first class BP until you buy the extra stickers. Stickers purchased through an agent at the airport used to be more expensive than those purchased online or at a kiosk, but that appears to be no longer the case.
Old Jul 1, 16, 3:05 pm
stc

Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
There is no need to buy the stickers in advance. Your upgrade will still clear even if you don't have the stickers in your account. You just won't be able to check in or get a first class BP until you buy the extra stickers. Stickers purchased through an agent at the airport used to be more expensive than those purchased online or at a kiosk, but that appears to be no longer the case.
Is that really the case? I have failed to get added to the gate upgrade list in the past when I did not have enough stickers.

I've pretty much just taken to buying whatever stickers I need for the days flight in advance. Especially with the change to 4 stickers per 12,500 miles, I never seem to earn enough stickers. So, I'm going to need to buy them sooner or later.
Old Jul 1, 16, 3:16 pm

Traffic got heavy, so I checked in on line and declined the upgrade list. They did clear 4, but I doubt any plats were on the list as the flight was sold out. So, next 6 hours in 15c, which won't be too bad I guess.
Old Jul 1, 16, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm, TP Gold *G
Originally Posted by FlyinMike View Post
So, next 6 hours in 15c, which won't be too bad I guess.
Keep telling yourself that.
Old Jul 1, 16, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
Keep telling yourself that.
They cleared 2 more. $80 buys a lot of Woodford though!

Would be nice to know where you would end up on the list before you buy stickers, but I guess they would not make revenue on the lottery that way!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: