Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Old Jun 14, 16, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by illinifan4249 View Post
Is there anyway to ensure that if you and a companion on the same PRN request an upgrade with stickers that it will only clear if you clear into seats that are next to each other? Since we would rather sit in MCE if it means that we get to sit next to one another.
I had quite a few upgrades in the day and almost none of them cleared into adjacent seats. If you are quick you can sometimes change online, if not you have to hope to be able to offer a comparable seat for a swap and ask nicely.
Old Jun 14, 16, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by illinifan4249 View Post
Is there anyway to ensure that if you and a companion on the same PRN request an upgrade with stickers that it will only clear if you clear into seats that are next to each other? Since we would rather sit in MCE if it means that we get to sit next to one another.
No. Just that you either clear together or not at all.
Old Jun 16, 16, 6:24 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nlkm9 View Post
I hope someone can answer this for me, I have looked through dozens of threads and cannot find the answer...I have fallen from XP to Gold--I request upgrade everytime I fly but just wonder since my chances are so small, is there anything else I can use my 500 mile upgrades for? I have quite a few in my acct.
thanks
I assume you are based in Charlotte. If you are only traveling at peak travel times, you probably have a snowballs chance in July of getting an upgrade as Gold. But, if you fly at off times, especially Sunday morning (and maybe Saturday), you have a lot better chance.
Old Jun 19, 16, 3:13 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Rebooked after flight cancellled, but 500-mile upgrade certs taken?

I am Platinum, and I was to fly LGA-PHL-XX recently. I was upgraded (for free) on the LGA-PHL flight since it is under 500 miles, and the PHL-XX flight was in coach on an all-coach regional jet. The PHL-XX flight was cancelled, and so I was automatically booked on another routing that arrived at XX about an hour later than my original flight.

I was in first class on the new flights, and I was happy, thinking that AA had given me an operational upgrade as a gesture of goodwill. However, I now see that 2 500-mile upgrade certificates were deducted from my account. I wouldn't have upgraded; I don't ever upgrade on LGA-XX flights since it's just not worth it to use the certificates or pay for first class.

Yes, I should not have assumed that the upgrade was free. However, is there anything that I can do to avoid having 500-mile upgrades involuntarily used in the future? Do I have any kind of claim for 2 free ones? I would prefer not to complain, unless this is a legitimate complaint.

Thanks.
Old Jun 19, 16, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
There's been lots of reports of this happening. I've been upgraded several times without requesting it, and a couple times I've had mile certs deducted.

You don't have to assume it's not free. If you didn't request it, you have to default that AA chose you to move up, most likely due to Y oversell (and if you're first flight was cancelled, there's a good chance they filled the new plane up).
Old Jun 26, 16, 1:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Upgrade Option Unavailable

I bought a domestic package on Expedia that included AA flights. The trip was automatically added into my AA account and included several segments of long and short flights. Few hours after the booking I got an email from AA saying they were unable to automatically request for an upgrade and prompted me to go online to make the request. Unfortunately the upgrade link on AA.com says its unavailable when I logged in.

Are there any restrictions to upgrades for flight packages purchased on travel sites?
Old Jun 26, 16, 2:21 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I have seen the FA selling upgrades...just ask at the gate..
'Not worth it on a short flight,,,..to me.
Old Jun 26, 16, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by satman40 View Post
'Not worth it on a short flight,,,..to me.
Thanks. But as Plat, I'm supposed to be automatically added to upgrade list for flights 500 miles or less. And I was planning to use the upgrade coupons for the longer segments. Issue at the moment is that all of them are unavailable.
Old Jun 26, 16, 2:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, UA Silver, Marriot Plat
Call AA
Old Jun 26, 16, 2:56 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
I am not aware of any restrictions on upgrades for AA-marketed and operated flights bought as a package through third-party sites, but I've never booked flights using a package so I might be missing something.

Some potential reasons why you may not be able to request an upgrade online (or at all) include:
- You have more than 1 companion traveling with you
- Your flight(s) are not marketed by AA, i.e., no AA flight number/codeshare
- Your flight doesn't have first class (regional jets like the CR2)

You should call in and speak to an agent.
Old Jun 26, 16, 5:50 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Upgrades are only offered on published fares. Its quite possible the fare purchased as part of the package is not considered a published fare and more like a wholesale or consolidator fare.
Old Jun 26, 16, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles View Post
Upgrades are only offered on published fares. Its quite possible the fare purchased as part of the package is not considered a published fare and more like a wholesale or consolidator fare.
Would this affect earning miles as well?
Old Jun 28, 16, 3:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by festriaqua View Post
I bought a domestic package on Expedia that included AA flights. The trip was automatically added into my AA account and included several segments of long and short flights. Few hours after the booking I got an email from AA saying they were unable to automatically request for an upgrade and prompted me to go online to make the request. Unfortunately the upgrade link on AA.com says its unavailable when I logged in.

Are there any restrictions to upgrades for flight packages purchased on travel sites?
I've shifted this discussion to the extant consolidated thread discussing 500 mile upgrade protocols and questions.

~Moderator
Old Jun 28, 16, 11:23 pm

How do upgrades work?

I recently bumped up in status to Platinum. I had gold, but didn't take advantage of the upgrades too much (once or twice). I figured with Platinum my chances would increase dramatically.

I recently booked two flights W-F to chicago this week and next week.

I requested an upgrade using my 500 mile upgrade allotment. I havent received it for my wednesday flight but would check how many seats were open and only saw 1. I did notice some bulk head seats cleared up so I figure they got the upgrades. I cant complain with an exit row seat and no one in front of me though.

Now I am in the 72 hour range for my Friday flight as well. I have checked the status of that flight and see 9 open seats in first class. I assume I would clear but it's weird to me that I haven't cleared yet. Any idea on the timeframe that I typically would clear? I would worry if it got to 24 hours because then gold members could potentially clear as well.

Can someone explain to a newb, how exactly this works? If I haven't cleared by tomorrow night, do you think I should call AA or would they laugh at me?
Old Jun 28, 16, 11:30 pm

TBH I've given up trying to track upgrades and have been more pleased with getting
surprise upgrades But regarding your question, not all upgrades will clear days in
advance - sometimes you'll be upgraded a few hours before the flight or even at the
gate.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: