Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Old May 28, 16, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by babypuwet View Post
Hey guys, got another question. I have a flight tomorrow LGA-ORD-PHX-LAS. When searching each segment individually on expertflyer, there was upgrade space, A7/A3/A7 However, when searched as a through itinerary, it shows not available A0/A0/A0. As an EXP, I haven't been upgraded yet. Is there a reason for concern?
When you say "through itinerary," are you talking about direct flights where the itinerary is one flight number despite stops at ORD and PHX? Or were two of the three segments on the same flight number?

I missed the upgrade on all 3 segments today. Does someone know what might have happened? Yesterday when I checked Expertflyer, it was A7/A3/A7, for the 3 segments I'm flying today. Now it's A0/A0/A0, and I wasn't upgraded even though I'm EXP. I bought the ticket 8 weeks ago, so I doubt there were that many people ahead of me and believe I got skipped. But it does show my upgrades were requested the whole time.

Sure enough, after Check in, I'm number 1 on the upgrade list through boarding. I really believe I was skipped over somehow.
You probably were skipped over, but not wrongly skipped over. IIRC, on direct flights, your upgrade will clear only if there is availability on all segments of the direct flight. What happens is that passengers who are flying just one of the segments soak up the upgrades.

No, not through DFW, my itinerary was LGA-ORD-PHX-LAS. yesterday it was A7/A3/A7. Then last night it went down to A0/A0/A0 for all three segments. After I did OLCI, I could see that I was number 1 on the first segment and as I arrived at each airport I could see on the App that I am number 1. But as the F cabin was full, none of them cleared. I highly doubt it was coincidence that 3 flights in a row I was number 1 right after everyone cleared. I really think I was skipped over somehow. Anyone else have had this experience?
You never want to reserve direct flights (same flight number but multiple segments) if you can avoid them. You get cheated out of miles, since miles are awarded based on nonstop Origin to Destination mileage (in your case, perhaps LGA-LAS) even though the mileage for the three segments individually is greater.

The only upside is that stickers are deducted based on total LGA-LAS miles even though more stickers might be required on a segment by segment basis.
Old May 29, 16, 10:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by AtomicLush View Post
Isn't it all just $40 anywhere? I can't find different pricing for different purchase options.
Correct. It used to be $30 online or on the self-service kiosk and $35 with an agent, but it went up to $40 for all avenues.
Old Jun 6, 16, 10:24 am

I got an email the other day that listed a specific PNR and said "We're unable to automatically request an upgrade for your flights."

When I checked that PNR, both segments are main cabin only ER145 flights. I've had a lot of those flights in the past, including this year, and never received an email saying an upgrade couldn't be requested - any ideas about the reason behind the email? Just something new?
Old Jun 9, 16, 6:01 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

I have a question regarding two elites traveling on the same PNR:

So we are one (newly minted) gold and one platinum. Before the SO became gold, upgrades were actually a simple process in that all stickers came from the plat's account. Now that we are both elites, I am having trouble figuring out how I can get all stickers to come from the plat's account versus paying for stickers. If I OLCI without stickers in the second account but the upgrade cleared, what will happen? Should I check-in with an agent? Will it ask me to buy stickers on the second account?

On a previous flight, no upgrade cleared and upon check in the gold got booted from the upgrade list because there were no stickers in that account. Trying to avoid screwing up the res without paying $200 for the stickers...

Also, how long before check in must stickers be purchased? App says 48 hours but people seem to indicate it takes less than that...
Old Jun 10, 16, 11:50 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Cityflyer10 View Post
Now that we are both elites, I am having trouble figuring out how I can get all stickers to come from the plat's account versus paying for stickers. If I OLCI without stickers in the second account but the upgrade cleared, what will happen? Should I check-in with an agent? Will it ask me to buy stickers on the second account?

On a previous flight, no upgrade cleared and upon check in the gold got booted from the upgrade list because there were no stickers in that account. Trying to avoid screwing up the res without paying $200 for the stickers...

Also, how long before check in must stickers be purchased? App says 48 hours but people seem to indicate it takes less than that...
The official policy is if you want to use one account for one PNR for more than one person on the upgrade list, you need to call to indicate that ahead of time (use one specific account for the stickers). If you don't do it ahead of time (preferably before the window opens), then it is possible that you will need to get stickers for the person at OLCI (trying to switch the account that pays for the upgrade at that point is very risky I think).

You must buy upgrades when you check-in if you don't have enough to cover the segments. Otherwise, you will not be on the list. Stickers purchased this fashion (at check-in whether agent, kiosk or OLCI) are available instantly from my experience.

Rasheed
Old Jun 12, 16, 7:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Question 500 mile upgrade question

I hope someone can answer this for me, I have looked through dozens of threads and cannot find the answer...I have fallen from XP to Gold--I request upgrade everytime I fly but just wonder since my chances are so small, is there anything else I can use my 500 mile upgrades for? I have quite a few in my acct.
thanks
Old Jun 12, 16, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nlkm9 View Post
I hope someone can answer this for me, I have looked through dozens of threads and cannot find the answer...I have fallen from XP to Gold--I request upgrade everytime I fly but just wonder since my chances are so small, is there anything else I can use my 500 mile upgrades for?
Nope.

The nice thing is, they never expire (inasmuch as the words "never," "forever," or "lifetime" have any meaning within AAdvantage). So you'll have plenty of time to try to use them for yourself and companions.
Old Jun 12, 16, 9:06 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, former AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Uber Diamond, National Executive
I've had a surprisingly high upgrade rate as a GLD, from former EXP. You may get to use them for upgrades yet!
Old Jun 13, 16, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by nickflies View Post
I've had a surprisingly high upgrade rate as a GLD, from former EXP. You may get to use them for upgrades yet!

thanks!!!
Old Jun 14, 16, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by rjw242 View Post
Nope.

The nice thing is, they never expire (inasmuch as the words "never," "forever," or "lifetime" have any meaning within AAdvantage). So you'll have plenty of time to try to use them for yourself and companions.
I will probably drop to no status this year--so then they cant be used, correct??
Old Jun 14, 16, 10:13 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
I will probably drop to no status this year--so then they cant be used, correct??
Unless you are on the same PNR as someone with status, when you can request to have yours used if you are upgraded.
Old Jun 14, 16, 11:30 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rasheed View Post
The official policy is if you want to use one account for one PNR for more than one person on the upgrade list, you need to call to indicate that ahead of time (use one specific account for the stickers). If you don't do it ahead of time (preferably before the window opens), then it is possible that you will need to get stickers for the person at OLCI (trying to switch the account that pays for the upgrade at that point is very risky I think).

You must buy upgrades when you check-in if you don't have enough to cover the segments. Otherwise, you will not be on the list. Stickers purchased this fashion (at check-in whether agent, kiosk or OLCI) are available instantly from my experience.

Rasheed
Thanks
. Upgrade had already cleared so we ended up simply purchasing the stickers for the gold on OLCI. Live and learn I suppose
Old Jun 14, 16, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
Unless you are on the same PNR as someone with status, when you can request to have yours used if you are upgraded.
so if Im traveling alone they are useless until I get status back, correct?
Old Jun 14, 16, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
so if Im traveling alone they are useless until I get status back, correct?
Correct.
Old Jun 14, 16, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Is there anyway to ensure that if you and a companion on the same PRN request an upgrade with stickers that it will only clear if you clear into seats that are next to each other? Since we would rather sit in MCE if it means that we get to sit next to one another.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: