Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
On a flight PHL-MCO tomorrow, there are 13 out of 16 seats available in 1st.

They really can't upgrade me at the 3 day window? Is this an MCO thing thinking they can sell first class to families at the last minute?
Old May 26, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by puchalskir

They really can't upgrade me at the 3 day window? Is this an MCO thing thinking they can sell first class to families at the last minute?
Seat map is not a good indication of loads, and certainly has nothing to do with upgrade availability.

From your info, I assume you're Platinum? Did you put in for a sticker upgrade? PHL-MCO is 860-ish miles, so it requires 2 stickers.

Looking at A availability tomorrow (and not knowing which flight you're on), all flights from 6:55am are showing 6-7 A availability, except for the 8:55pm one which only has 2. So chances are good, but all depends on where you are on the upgrade list (i.e., how many EXPs are ahead of you, how many Platinums who requested the upgrade before you did).
Old May 26, 2016, 8:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by RogerD408
You need the 500-mile upgrades in your account before OLCI. Cheaper to buy online than at the airport.
That recently changed, actually. Now they're the same price everywhere, and more expensive than before to boot.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:47 am

Hey guys, got another question. I have a flight tomorrow LGA-ORD-PHX-LAS. When searching each segment individually on expertflyer, there was upgrade space, A7/A3/A7 However, when searched as a through itinerary, it shows not available A0/A0/A0. As an EXP, I haven't been upgraded yet. Is there a reason for concern?
Old May 26, 2016, 9:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by puchalskir

I think they might be significantly holding back upgrades for tomorrow (start of Memorial Day wknd.) My flight tomorrow shows this:
F7 A7 P7 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 W7 V7 N7 S7 O7 Q7

And the first class cabin has only 2 seats taken out of 12 (I know...not totally reliable indicator, but in combination with F7 A7 Y7, it shows the cabin is pretty open.)

I'm Platinum and still haven't been upgraded.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by chrisny2
I think they might be significantly holding back upgrades for tomorrow (start of Memorial Day wknd.)
Not just that, they have a severe weather alert for DFW tomorrow. They may be holding back on upgrades to accommodate flight switches, etc.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by akcae
Seat map is not a good indication of loads, and certainly has nothing to do with upgrade availability.

From your info, I assume you're Platinum? Did you put in for a sticker upgrade? PHL-MCO is 860-ish miles, so it requires 2 stickers.

Looking at A availability tomorrow (and not knowing which flight you're on), all flights from 6:55am are showing 6-7 A availability, except for the 8:55pm one which only has 2. So chances are good, but all depends on where you are on the upgrade list (i.e., how many EXPs are ahead of you, how many Platinums who requested the upgrade before you did).
I'm platinum and put in for the sticker upgrades. On the 2pm.
I actually think it's a pretty good indicator, but obviously not exact.

Update: Checked in normally. Two hours later got an email that I was upgraded.

Last edited by puchalskir; May 26, 2016 at 2:08 pm Reason: Update
Old May 26, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Taking a red eye to ATL tomorrow and only 6/16 seats have been claimed in F.
Currently reads: F7 P7 A7 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 W7 V7

EXP with companion still waiting for that upgrade (didn't split). Fingers crossed!

UPDATE: cleared over night at around 20 hours.

Last edited by michaelpop; May 27, 2016 at 3:33 pm
Old May 27, 2016, 12:38 am

I missed the upgrade on all 3 segments today. Does someone know what might have happened? Yesterday when I checked Expertflyer, it was A7/A3/A7, for the 3 segments I'm flying today. Now it's A0/A0/A0, and I wasn't upgraded even though I'm EXP. I bought the ticket 8 weeks ago, so I doubt there were that many people ahead of me and believe I got skipped. But it does show my upgrades were requested the whole time.

Sure enough, after Check in, I'm number 1 on the upgrade list through boarding. I really believe I was skipped over somehow.

Last edited by babypuwet; May 27, 2016 at 6:19 am
Old May 27, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Were you flying through DFW? I believe weather issues caused a bunch of IROP and A space could have been pulled for service recovery.
Old May 27, 2016, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by akcae
Were you flying through DFW? I believe weather issues caused a bunch of IROP and A space could have been pulled for service recovery.
No, not through DFW, my itinerary was LGA-ORD-PHX-LAS. yesterday it was A7/A3/A7. Then last night it went down to A0/A0/A0 for all three segments. After I did OLCI, I could see that I was number 1 on the first segment and as I arrived at each airport I could see on the App that I am number 1. But as the F cabin was full, none of them cleared. I highly doubt it was coincidence that 3 flights in a row I was number 1 right after everyone cleared. I really think I was skipped over somehow. Anyone else have had this experience?
Old May 27, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Well, if there are IRROPs going on, are you sure upgrades cleared rather than people just switching flights to avoid DFW?
Old May 27, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Interesting experience today flying DCASTL today. Not sure how often this happens...
Flight was booked 5/8. I saw the actual loads so it wasn't based on just the seat map. GA cleared standbys but did nothing about upgrades so they called first and priority boarding and I waited back to see if she did anything. Finally decided to just get in line to board and not risk losing overhead space. So I walk up, scan boarding pas thinking maybe she will clear me but she waves me on down the jetway. At that point I ask if she is going to process upgrades and she takes my boarding pass hands me a new one then tells me she has to check my bag. Long story, open seats still in F (I had a two side row to myself) and two people left on the list after we pushed back. Not calling shenanigans but thought the whole experience was odd. Well the whole flight was odd because fa in F poured drinks then disappeared to Y for the rest of the flight sitting in the last row playing on the iPhone. I went back to ask for a can of soda and I got the look of death and told him he didn't need to go up to the F alley just to hand me the can. Anybody else run into issues where they have to remind the GA to process upgrades?
Old May 27, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by RogerD408
You need the 500-mile upgrades in your account before OLCI. Cheaper to buy online than at the airport.
Isn't it all just $40 anywhere? I can't find different pricing for different purchase options.
Old May 28, 2016, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
Well, if there are IRROPs going on, are you sure upgrades cleared rather than people just switching flights to avoid DFW?
Definitely not sure, but its just odd that I am number 1 on upgrade list for all three segments. Had I been #2 on at least one of them, I would have thought maybe there were others ahead of me. But when I'm number 1 for all 3 segments, after OCLI, makes me wonder....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.