Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Old May 11, 16, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by aktchi View Post
Possibly. However, depending on availability, it may still work out for you, and we wish you good luck.
I went from gold to plat, so higher from gold, but lower than if I left it I think.
Old May 12, 16, 9:03 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
The results

Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Also a quick note that you should not assume that 2 people traveling together under the same PNR are together on the upgrade list.
We NEVER travel on the same PNR.

Thanks to all for your help . We ended up getting to SFO at 1pm for a 3:40, AA 193, to DFW.

Because we booked and paid for MrsDallas49er first, 3 months prior to travel, she cleared at 4H+3min.

I booked and paid 2nd. I was #1 on the list. F full. Took my coach seat. MX 25 feet from the gate.

Rolling 15 minute delays-UPG list remains intact. Almost 4 hours later, 7 have bailed from F.

Good News: UPG for me! SFO AC Very proactive!

Bad news: Arrive DFW 1am.

Travel safe.
Old May 12, 16, 10:03 am

Programs: UA *G, AA EXP
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal View Post
Request date. Which may or may not be the same as booking date.
I was told at the DCA Admirals Club that this has recently changed to original booking date - at least for EXPs. I had to change my flights due to weather issues at JFK and she assured me that my place on the upgrade list for my new flights (the next morning) would reflect my purchase date, not the request date. I went straight to #1 on the lists for both flights, so it would seem that she was probably correct.

On the other hand (and off-topic) she also promised me a hotel for the night, but had to apologize later because there was nothing available at the price she was allowed to go up to (fortunately the HHonors app found me a room in Crystal City (what a name!) for $65 + 16000 points, which seemed better than $310).
Old May 12, 16, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid View Post
I was told at the DCA Admirals Club that this has recently changed to original booking date - at least for EXPs. I had to change my flights due to weather issues at JFK and she assured me that my place on the upgrade list for my new flights (the next morning) would reflect my purchase date, not the request date.
For EXPs on domestic flights the request date is the booking date. And yes it is preserved if you have involuntary changes.
Old May 14, 16, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, AS, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Can't find this so sorry if it's a repeat.

Booked a JFK-MIA one-way and requested an upgrade. 2 stickers.

My plans changed to fly the same route a day earlier. Instead of paying a $200 change fee I booked a separate JFK-MIA one-way for about the same price and again requested an upgrade.

My question is, if I'm "upgraded" on the originally booked flight that I have no intention in taking, if I'm a no-show am I re-credited those 2 stickers?

Alternatively, can I un-request the upgrade on the original flight? I don't see an option to do that online. Is there one?

I'm afraid if I call to un-request the upgrade the agent will see the two one-way itineraries and then try to slap me with a $200 change fee.
Old May 14, 16, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Oakshadow View Post

My plans changed to fly the same route a day earlier. Instead of paying a $200 change fee I booked a separate JFK-MIA one-way for about the same price and again requested an upgrade.

My question is, if I'm "upgraded" on the originally booked flight that I have no intention in taking, if I'm a no-show am I re-credited those 2 stickers?

Alternatively, can I un-request the upgrade on the original flight? I don't see an option to do that online. Is there one?

I'm afraid if I call to un-request the upgrade the agent will see the two one-way itineraries and then try to slap me with a $200 change fee.
Stickers are not pulled from your account until after you 1) ba are recorded as having boarded the flight and 2) the flight is closed out. So you have nothing to worry about. But, if you aren't going to use that seat on ur original day, just cxl it out.
Old May 15, 16, 8:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum,Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, United Gold IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond
Deducted wrong amount of 500 mile upgrades?

Not that I am complaining, as the error seems to be in my favor, but it appears that I was deducted the wrong amount of 500 mile upgrades on my last trip.

3 weeks ago I traveled to CUR via the following route.

PIT to DCA (complimentary upgrade confirmed)
DCA to MIA (upgrade confirmed should have deducted (2) 500 Mile upgrades)
MIA to CUR (upgrade confirmed should have deducted (3) 500 mile upgrades)

I should have had (5) 500 mile upgrades deducted from my account. I started the trip with (12) 500 mile upgrades and now I have 11, meaning that only (1) 500 mile upgrade was deducted.

Just curious on why this was..Any thoughts?

Side note: Mrs. AAFlyer757 is also gold and she had (5) deducted from her account.
Old May 15, 16, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by aaflyer757 View Post
Not that I am complaining, as the error seems to be in my favor, but it appears that I was deducted the wrong amount of 500 mile upgrades on my last trip.

3 weeks ago I traveled to CUR via the following route.

PIT to DCA (complimentary upgrade confirmed)
DCA to MIA (upgrade confirmed should have deducted (2) 500 Mile upgrades)
MIA to CUR (upgrade confirmed should have deducted (3) 500 mile upgrades)

I should have had (5) 500 mile upgrades deducted from my account. I started the trip with (12) 500 mile upgrades and now I have 11, meaning that only (1) 500 mile upgrade was deducted.

Just curious on why this was..Any thoughts?

Side note: Mrs. AAFlyer757 is also gold and she had (5) deducted from her account.
Any chance you crossed the 12,500 mile threshold and earned 4 more?
Old May 15, 16, 8:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum,Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, United Gold IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
Any chance you crossed the 12,500 mile threshold and earned 4 more?

Just logged into my account, and the last time I actually earned the upgrades were in January. I am wondering if it has to do with the restructure of the program back in March. I know a few months ago I was close to earning more, but it reset to 12500.
Old May 15, 16, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Just logged into my account, and the last time I actually earned the upgrades were in January. I am wondering if it has to do with the restructure of the program back in March. I know a few months ago I was close to earning more, but it reset to 12500.
Yes, it resets every time you cross 12,500. They reversed the count a bit ago and counts down and not up.
Old May 15, 16, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
Did you have any segments in J/F shorter than 500 miles early in the year where the EQM were wrongly credited and then recently fixed?
Old May 15, 16, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by Oakshadow View Post

JFK-MIA is 1090 miles, so 3 stickers.
Old May 15, 16, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Everybody's account resets to 12,500 on February 28. If you were close to earning a new set of stickers on that date, AA will often toss you a few if you call them. If not, then you lose all of that progress. I'm kicking myself this year since I didn't call in.
Old May 18, 16, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
Did you have any segments in J/F shorter than 500 miles early in the year where the EQM were wrongly credited and then recently fixed?
NO..There is nothing of that in my account since this year.
Old May 20, 16, 12:09 pm

I am a PLT and I want to know if I have to have the require amount of stickers in my account at the 48 hours mark or can I wait and purchase the stickers once I have been cleared and before I boarded my flight?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: