Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2016, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I'm confused about the interpretation posted in the thread wiki:

Flights booked prior to status changes probably will not reflect the status change until an update is requested; this may impact upgrade list position.
If I booked a flight and requested upgrades as Gold, and I'm now Platinum, will my upgrade list position be automatically bumped up to Platinum?

I called AAdvantage support just now and the CSR told me that my upgrade list position will automatically take into account my new Platinum status, despite the fact that I previously booked/requested as Gold. She told me I would not need to do anything.
Old May 7, 2016, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ralphs

If I booked a flight and requested upgrades as Gold, and I'm now Platinum, will my upgrade list position be automatically bumped up to Platinum?

I called AAdvantage support just now and the CSR told me that my upgrade list position will automatically take into account my new Platinum status, despite the fact that I previously booked/requested as Gold. She told me I would not need to do anything.
Yes, they do say that. Now in real life, it may be helpful to cancel and reapply the update request after making status to make sure everything is flagged properly in the system. Your request date should shift but your status will be higher. We hope they will fix this issue, but not sure how we can prove it.
Old May 8, 2016, 2:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Fair enough. Is there a way to cancel a 500-mile upgrade request online or in the app?
Old May 8, 2016, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Fair enough. Is there a way to cancel a 500-mile upgrade request online or in the app?
No.
Old May 8, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Just call and request them to "refresh" the reservation so it reflects your current status.
Old May 8, 2016, 7:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Originally Posted by aktchi
Just call and request them to "refresh" the reservation so it reflects your current status.
Newly earned status not carrying through to previously booked itineraries is a well known problem. aktchi's solution is easiest and best; your request date is preserved, your status is updated. Occam's razor and all that.
Old May 11, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Upgrade lists

Apologies. I know this has been covered before, but I'm working off an I Pad instead of my trusty desk top.

Flying back home today with MrsDallas49er (also EXP). We are on the upgrade list, having checked in yesterday at the 23 hour mark.

Is there any advantage (no pun intended) to getting to the airport early to get on the "Airport Standby List", or does the original upgrade request time stamp work in terms of processing UPGs at the gate?

Thank you all in advance.
Old May 11, 2016, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are already on the airport upgrade list.

The airport standby list is for standby passengers.
Old May 11, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Apologies. I know this has been covered before, but I'm working off an I Pad instead of my trusty desk top.

Flying back home today with MrsDallas49er (also EXP). We are on the upgrade list, having checked in yesterday at the 23 hour mark.

Is there any advantage (no pun intended) to getting to the airport early to get on the "Airport Standby List", or does the original upgrade request time stamp work in terms of processing UPGs at the gate?

Thank you all in advance.
Once you are on the upgrade list it is actually put in order based on status and booking date.
Old May 11, 2016, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Once you are on the upgrade list it is actually put in order based on status and booking date.
Request date. Which may or may not be the same as booking date.
Old May 11, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Also a quick note that you should not assume that 2 people traveling together under the same PNR are together on the upgrade list.
Old May 11, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
Curious case: Me and my wife travelling on the same flight, but different reservations.

I've been a PLT since last year, she's recently made PLT this year, but booked while still GLD, I think. Anyway, I booked way earlier (as in several weeks) than her and got an O fare, she's on an S-fare.

She just got her upgrade e-mail. I checked my booking, but still 'requested' (through my lousy "dutch" version of the website).

There's multiple seats open on the seat-map, although that means little...

Now, I actually am happy that she's getting the upgrade, so I don't have to do the "I insist" dance with her, if it were just me that got upgraded. But I'm still baffled why hers was processed before mine, because going by AA-rules, I would have expected my booking to take precedence.

Anyone understand what's going on here?

I've noticed before that my itineraries that start in Europe tend to not have my upgrades processed in advance, even if I sometimes clear at the gate.

And now I did get my upgrade. Only a few hours after hers. Nothing to see here, I guess.

Last edited by AtlanticX; May 11, 2016 at 8:26 pm Reason: Because I did get upgraded after all
Old May 11, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by JDiver
Newly earned status not carrying through to previously booked itineraries is a well known problem. aktchi's solution is easiest and best; your request date is preserved, your status is updated. Occam's razor and all that.
I took myself off the list then back on... Now I'm probably lower on the list.
Old May 11, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by hiima
I took myself off the list then back on... Now I'm probably lower on the list.
Possibly. However, depending on availability, it may still work out for you, and we wish you good luck.
Old May 11, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by AtlanticX
Curious case: Me and my wife travelling on the same flight, but different reservations.

Anyone understand what's going on here?

I've noticed before that my itineraries that start in Europe tend to not have my upgrades processed in advance, even if I sometimes clear at the gate.
Hard to know. We don't get to see many test situations like this to verify. If I said it was due to fare class, many people will quickly jump in to say that is not the case on AA.

I would say that you could only really have a complaint if you don't get upgraded at all (even if you get battlefield). I would then contact AA after the related flight, provide both PNRs, confirm the date you check the box to request the upgrade (booking date or whatever) and see if they will reply. There is no need apparently to mention the wife's GLD to PLT change. Both are PLT as of the sweep start (72 hrs).

I still think some things do go wrong in the upgrade process, but it is so hard to know what causes the sweeps to not work properly as there is no transparency until four hours prior to a flight scheduled departure.

Rasheed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.