Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: US -Plat, UA-Plat, AA-Plat, Marriott - Platinum,
Originally Posted by mgarrett96
From my understanding, when AA moved to the new system of upgrades post-merger (all elites complimentary on flights <500mi, otherwise GLD and PLT need stickers and EXP continue to get UDUs), they discontinued UDUs for GLD and PLT on Y/B fares.
Has anyone else noticed whether they are being charged for these upgrades for flights under 500 miles. I was reviewing my account and have noticed two instances in which I was charged a single sticker for an upgrade. Under this new policy this doesn't make sense as the minimum number of stickers I would be deducted would be 2.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
I'm less than 72 hours out from my flight and there are 7 F seats still open (767) but my upgrade has not yet processed (I'm Platinum). Are there certain situations where they don't auto process at the 72 hour mark?
It processed this morning at 5:07am
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:44 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PA Pilot
Has anyone else noticed whether they are being charged for these upgrades for flights under 500 miles. I was reviewing my account and have noticed two instances in which I was charged a single sticker for an upgrade. Under this new policy this doesn't make sense as the minimum number of stickers I would be deducted would be 2.
I have never been charged for an upgrade under 500 miles since the change.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Did you have any <500 mile flights with a companion? Maybe you got charged an upgrade for the companion?

I don't know if currency is required to upgrade a companion on a short flight; I don't see any wording one way or the other on AA.com. Since EXPs need to use stickers to upgrade companions, it's certainly plausible that Golds/Platinums on short flights would need to use stickers as well.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
I purchased two 500-mile stickers this morning. I was told that it would take approximately 2 hours to process. I received a confirmation of the purchase; however, the two additional stickers have not been deposited into my "500 Miles Upgrade" bucket. Does anyone know how long that process takes? If is an overnight update?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CLTRob
I purchased two 500-mile stickers this morning. I was told that it would take approximately 2 hours to process. I received a confirmation of the purchase; however, the two additional stickers have not been deposited into my "500 Miles Upgrade" bucket. Does anyone know how long that process takes? If is an overnight update?
Have you looked under the "Activity and Upgrades" link? Sometimes they don't make it onto the front page for a while.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I contacted AA about this since my account showed 1 e500 was redeemed on 3/23/16 yet I've never redeemed any e500s. I was told there was an "audit" to address some discrepancies between the balances shown on aa.com and the actual reservation system. Apparently the audit discovered I had 1 too many e500s. I find this odd since I earned exactly 12 last year (as part of the US migration) and have never redeemed any for upgrades. The agent I talked to said she would investigate further.

Anyone else noticed they've had e500s deducted from their account?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:58 am

Best way to exhaust 500-mile upgrades

Hi -

Am not a frequent poster/browser on FT, so trying to work on that. Bear with me if this question has already been answered (or please re-direct me to a site that can provide guidance). Thanks in advance!

Context: I am a plat AA flyer based out of DFW. I have roughly 24 500-Mile upgrade stickers that I don't want to waste. I already know for a fact that this year, it's going to be a struggle for me to re-qualify even for Gold, so consequently, my stickers will likely expire by end of February 2017.

I've gotten to a point where I just submit for an upgrade request virtually whenever I fly AA, but being based in DFW, the chances are virtually impossible of that happening.

What do people suggest I do, perhaps before the 2/17 expiration, to exhaust them? Find a cheap o/w fare from DFW to HNL/OGG or something and just get a MR out of it?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Your best bet would be to try to fly at off peak times (early Sunday morning, Saturday, Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons), if you can. Also out of DFW take a connection rather than a direct flight (which I often do out of MIA). Possibly look at domestic widebody routes out of DFW that have more F seats. The HA routes can be tough for upgrading, I've used SWUs since its like flying long haul International from DFW. However, as a PLT its becoming more difficult to upgrade with smaller F cabins and the monetization of the F cabin.

Finally, AFAIK you won't lose the stickers but without status you won't be able to use them post 1/2017. IIRC you might be able turn them into miles (although that option doesn't always seems guaranteed).
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by IrishAyes
What do people suggest I do, perhaps before the 2/17 expiration, to exhaust them? Find a cheap o/w fare from DFW to HNL/OGG or something and just get a MR out of it?
If you are not going to qualify for elite status (thus the desire to burn the stickers quickly), why would you do a MR? There's really no point in doing a MR right? You can also use stickers to upgrade 1 companion. If you are traveling with someone, make sure to try to apply to them as well. But other than trying to apply them to all flights you're currently taking, there's not much you can do with them.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IrishAyes
Hi -

Am not a frequent poster/browser on FT, so trying to work on that. Bear with me if this question has already been answered (or please re-direct me to a site that can provide guidance). Thanks in advance!

Context: I am a plat AA flyer based out of DFW. I have roughly 24 500-Mile upgrade stickers that I don't want to waste. I already know for a fact that this year, it's going to be a struggle for me to re-qualify even for Gold, so consequently, my stickers will likely expire by end of February 2017.

I've gotten to a point where I just submit for an upgrade request virtually whenever I fly AA, but being based in DFW, the chances are virtually impossible of that happening.

(1) I don't think the e-500's expire. You just won't be able to use them when you don't have status, so they will sit dormant until you requalfiy

(2) If you say the chances for you being in DFW are "virtually impossible" for clearing an upgrade, why would you think a mileage run would be any better? (unless you are doing it in the hopes of re-qualifying for status)

(3) My suggestion would be keep requesting as you are currently doing but with 2 small tweaks - try to book your tickets as far in advance as you can and also try not to fly on peak days.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
IIRC you might be able turn them into miles (although that option doesn't always seems guaranteed).
Sorry, but I believe that option to convert to miles expired a few years ago.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by neo_781
(1) I don't think the e-500's expire. You just won't be able to use them when you don't have status, so they will sit dormant until you requalfiy
This is exactly right. They never expire. If you get status again in the future, you can use them again. Don't feel the need to burn them in the short term just because you don't think you're going to qualify again. You've qualified in the past, and you may do so again.

Gold and Platinum are nicer when you have stickers.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Y...IIRC you might be able turn them into miles (although that option doesn't always seems guaranteed).
Option is long gone:
http://travelingbetter.vbulletin.net...icker-trade-in
Old Apr 6, 2016, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I've gotten upgrades this year as a PLT in and out of DFW. Avoid peak days and times, and business routes, and you too can clear. I'm not sure that domestic F is enough of a carrot that I'd travel just to use them. But if you can change a Monday morning departure to a Tuesday morning, or a Sunday evening to a Sunday morning, that might be worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.