Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Colleague applied SWU to my flight, but AA withdrew them from *my* account (to merge)

Colleague applied SWU to my flight, but AA withdrew them from *my* account (to merge)

Old Jan 2, 19, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Plat
Unhappy Colleague applied SWU to my flight, but AA withdrew them from *my* account (to merge)

Another day, another screwup by AA :/

I had a economy PVG -> DFW leg for two passengers on December 30th. My colleague had spare SWUs he couldn't burn so he generously waitlisted them for my flights. They clear, and I fly happily in Business.

Lo and behold, as I log in to my account I realize I'm left with 2 SWUs for 2019, and that apparently the SWUs were cleared from *my* account instead of my colleague's. Call into AAdvantage customer service to no avail, they couldn't see anything wrong, even though the upgrades were requested on October 30th (While I had 0 SWUs in my account, since I didn't even requalify until November 17th of last year).

Only option available is to talk to my colleague again to have him call in to explain the situation, so AA can retroactively withdraw his SWUs and credit me back mine. Not looking forward to subjecting him to that call.
Old Jan 2, 19, 9:50 am

Programs: AA - EXP
Originally Posted by Martellus View Post
Another day, another screwup by AA :/

I had a economy PVG -> DFW leg for two passengers on December 30th. My colleague had spare SWUs he couldn't burn so he generously waitlisted them for my flights. They clear, and I fly happily in Business.

Lo and behold, as I log in to my account I realize I'm left with 2 SWUs for 2019, and that apparently the SWUs were cleared from *my* account instead of my colleague's. Call into AAdvantage customer service to no avail, they couldn't see anything wrong, even though the upgrades were requested on October 30th (While I had 0 SWUs in my account, since I didn't even requalify until November 17th of last year).

Only option available is to talk to my colleague again to have him call in to explain the situation, so AA can retroactively withdraw his SWUs and credit me back mine. Not looking forward to subjecting him to that call.
Had this exact same thing happen to me but it was a senior executive at my firm. Ended up just eating the SWU loss. :-/
Old Jan 2, 19, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
I'd call it a day and be thankful to God the SWU even cleared to begin with.
Old Jan 2, 19, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is something better handled in writing and not over the phone as it will need to be researched. Make sure to include your colleague's name as it appears on his account as well as his AA #.
Old Jan 2, 19, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I had the same thing happen a few years ago, though I was the donor for someone else and they took the systemwides from his account instead. Sent an e-mail to AA providing all the information on the two parties involved (both EXP) and they resolved it eventually. They even offered to temporarily place two systemwides in the account of the person I gave the systemwides to, but he did not have an immediate need for those. Have your colleague/donor send an e-mail and it will get resolved.
Old Jan 2, 19, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I'd call it a day and be thankful to God the SWU even cleared to begin with.
I think, unlike you, the OP finds SWUs valuable
enviroian and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 2, 19, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Iíve had this happen before and find you have to be over-the-top explicit (to the point it almost makes me feel patronizing) about whose SWUs are to be used (lots of repetition and requests for verbal confirmation). Getting it rectified after the fact takes a lot of work which accordingly makes it an unrewarding activity for phone agents.
Old Jan 2, 19, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
LOL.

I am gonna quote my friend @Zacnlinc here as we literally experienced the same thing a week ago...Give them a call and explain EXP desk what's going on, and they will fix it in about 3-5 days.
Zacnlinc and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 3, 19, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Martellus View Post
You can make this easier for him if you draft an email (or commentary for the web form) and then either have him log onto his account to send the complaint in, or sit with him and do it. Should only take a couple of minutes of his time and easier than calling in.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: