FAs made us count off several times

Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I was on a G4 flight back in October where the passenger count didn't match the flight plan so the gate agents and flight attendants did their job and counted the passengers themselves, not treating us like we were on an Elementary School field trip and had us count.

It's sad when G4 of all air carriers outclasses AA.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
I have found that when theFfA's walk quickly down the aisle counting heads that they get really PO when I start shouting out random numbers in the middle of their count
Why would you purposely try to make someone's job more difficult like that?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by KKinLA
Why didn't they just count the empty seats? Wouldn't that have been easier?
I have often wondered this. My hunch is that the smart ones do when the plane is mostly full.

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
seemed pretty clear the post was a joke??
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:20 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KKinLA
Why didn't they just count the empty seats? Wouldn't that have been easier?
Pax can be moving from toilet to toilet and so not seated but they are on the plane.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
FA's making passengers count out loud isn't doing their job. If FA's want a count, they can walk up and down the aisles and count.
Carl Christensen likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I thought FAs counted empty seats and subtracted from total seat capacity.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am assuming there were no non-english speaking passengers?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:06 am
THR

Originally Posted by kapooncha
FA's making passengers count out loud isn't doing their job. If FA's want a count, they can walk up and down the aisles and count.
You didn't follow the thread properly. The person mentioned they call out random numbers to interrupt the FAs when they're properly doing the aisle count themselves.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
I would strongly have to resist the urge to mess up the count everytime it got to me lol.
Reminded me of this classic:

strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
I have had this happen before as well, the flight attendants made everyone remain seated and then had each passenger count in sequence. There was an issue with the paperwork.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
While folks may find this insane - which I agree is crazy. I would do whatever is requested as a passenger (without physical effort) to verify we take off ontime. If FA is incapable of reconcile passengers vs. manifest - I'd rather help get us going vs. await another print out and 3 more counts or require GA to assist onboard. Sometimes the procedural method isn't efficient in all circumstances so I give this FA kudos if an audible last minute helped fix the problem..
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Is this April fools Day in January! AA are a joke at the best of times but this verges on the ridiculous.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
While folks may find this insane - which I agree is crazy. I would do whatever is requested as a passenger (without physical effort) to verify we take off ontime. If FA is incapable of reconcile passengers vs. manifest - I'd rather help get us going vs. await another print out and 3 more counts or require GA to assist onboard. Sometimes the procedural method isn't efficient in all circumstances so I give this FA kudos if an audible last minute helped fix the problem..
The question is, where was this FA on the spectrum of customer service?

Was the FA more towards the "Apologies everyone, we're having a problem verifying our final counts, so would you mind verbally counting off for me? That will get us on our way as quickly as possible. Thanks!" end of the spectrum?

...or...

Was the FA more towards the "OK, everyone count off! Yes, you! Now! You start with one!" end of the spectrum?
RooseveltL and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
This is when I turn on my headphones and close my eyes. If the (multiple) FAs, GAs, and the pair that sit up front with the little stripes on their shoulders can't get their sh*t together to count without group participation then they certainly aren't getting any more of my attention. Wake me up when the counting is down and I need to verbally agree to assist in the case of an emergency.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.