Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by higham44
I have around 160k AA Advantage miles in my a/c. Can the better informed direct me to where I might find information that gives the 'best' use of AA miles from the UK in terms of destinations, cabin on AA and partner airlines, please?
Thanks
"Best use of miles" is highly subjective, there's no one spot to look for all the answers, really depends on where you want to go, etc.

Generally speaking, using miles for long haul business or first class will provide the best value relative to what the ticket would cost. Using AA miles, just avoid booking BA for any longhaul segment as you will pay ridiculous surcharges on top of the miles.

With 160k, you could book a roundtrip to Asia for 75k each way, AA's partners QR, CX, JL, and QF all offer service from the UK to Asia. Keep in mind not all partners show up at aa.com for award searches, to book CX or JL for example you need to call AA.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
I have around 160k AA Advantage miles in my a/c. Can the better informed direct me to where I might find information that gives the 'best' use of AA miles from the UK in terms of destinations, cabin on AA and partner airlines, please?
Thanks
For this example I'll use AA's award search for a flight to Dallas TX as the example. I encourage you to look at the threads that show you how to create a free Avios account on BA, as that will pull up award availability for QR, CX & QH among other airlines.

I've found decent luck looking on aa.com. Enter search details at the mid-bottom of the main page. I also encourage you to search for "one way" award availability, not round trip. (I often piece together my itinerary segment by segment.) DO NOT HIT "SEARCH." Instead, click on the Advanced Search link right below the "SEARCH" button.

This will bring you to a better (IMHO), and obviously advanced award search page. It looks for AA and BA award availability. Sometimes I'll see Finnair pop up on here, too.

Once at this page, select the "Redeem Miles" option towards the top, and scroll all the way to the bottom. NOW you click the "SEARCH" button.

Once there, you will see a grid, much like the one pictured below. The calendar you will see at first is only about 7 days. Click the "Show Full Calendar" option in the upper right corner of the calendar, and then select "non-stop" should you wish. The image below shows non-stop, one-way first class saaver award availability between DFW & LHR for this example. You will have to mess around with this tool, but I would say this is your best bet if you're looking for to/from travel to London.

Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage---LTGold, DL Skymiles
2x miles

I received this offer---You’ve been exclusively selected to earn 2X the American Airlines AAdvantage® miles on all your upcoming Premium Economy, Business and First class tickets for travel through October 4, 2019. I'm suspicious of anything which asks for my password. Did anyone else receive this? Thanks
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We recently flew our first Basic Economy fare MIA-DCA-MIA outbound June 20 inbound June 25.

I saw the miles on the outbound flight posted, together with the Gold bonus. But the inbound flight on June 25 has not posted. Since 3 days have passed on the inbound flight I decided to submit a missing flight mile request.

To my surprise, the website returned with this message

You can only earn miles on certain partner airlines and fares. Award or companion, promotional and reduced-rate tickets are among those excluded.
See eligibility and earn rates on our partner airline pages.

I am not sure if AA system thinks the AA flight is a partner flight, or the basic economy does not earn miles - but why would it earned EQM, EQD, EQS, Base miles and Bonus miles on the outbound? The ticket was booked online as a Round Trip but I did not check fare class at booking.

NEVER MIND.

When I clicked open the details of the June 20 posting, it actually has both the outbound and inbound listed. I have not flown AA revenue ticket for soooo long that I dont know now AA posting flight miles based on Ticket number instead of the flight flown.

It should inform the customer the miles have already posted instead of giving out an erroneous message on ineligibility.

It also brings up a question - so now activity from flight is based on the trip's first flight date, instead of Actual Flight Date - wouldn't this AFFECT the determination of miles expiration date? What about people's last flights are months later, that can make a significant difference in term of the 18 months clock!

Last edited by Happy; Jun 29, 2019 at 8:21 pm
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
It also brings up a question - so now activity from flight is based on the trip's first flight date, instead of Actual Flight Date - wouldn't this AFFECT the determination of miles expiration date? What about people's last flights are months later, that can make a significant difference in term of the 18 months clock!
I don't think the posting has changed, though it's been a while since I credited a flight. It's just that the whole itinerary is logged under the first segment. It should show actual flight dates and the breakdown of the credits by segment when expanded.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by meunger11
For this example I'll use AA's award search for a flight to Dallas TX as the example. I encourage you to look at the threads that show you how to create a free Avios account on BA, as that will pull up award availability for QR, CX & QH among other airlines.

I've found decent luck looking on aa.com. Enter search details at the mid-bottom of the main page. I also encourage you to search for "one way" award availability, not round trip. (I often piece together my itinerary segment by segment.) DO NOT HIT "SEARCH." Instead, click on the Advanced Search link right below the "SEARCH" button.

This will bring you to a better (IMHO), and obviously advanced award search page. It looks for AA and BA award availability. Sometimes I'll see Finnair pop up on here, too.

Once at this page, select the "Redeem Miles" option towards the top, and scroll all the way to the bottom. NOW you click the "SEARCH" button.

Once there, you will see a grid, much like the one pictured below. The calendar you will see at first is only about 7 days. Click the "Show Full Calendar" option in the upper right corner of the calendar, and then select "non-stop" should you wish. The image below shows non-stop, one-way first class saaver award availability between DFW & LHR for this example. You will have to mess around with this tool, but I would say this is your best bet if you're looking for to/from travel to London.

Many thanks for the information. I already have BAEC membership. It seems that using non-BA partner airlines offers wide choice and cheaper taxes when flying out of the UK.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Many thanks for the information. I already have BAEC membership. It seems that using non-BA partner airlines offers wide choice and cheaper taxes when flying out of the UK.
The taxes are the same but other airlines include more of their costs in the ticket price whereas BA adds a surcharge to keep the "free" part of the award lower.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by JBGL
I received this offer ... I'm suspicious of anything which asks for my password. Did anyone else receive this? Thanks
I have received similar offers before. If you aren't comfortable entering your password in a link in your email (don't blame you there!) I would suggest opening the AA app on your phone. There you can select your account and look at available promotions.

To select your account on the iPhone for example, click the box that appears with your name, status indicator and AA mileage balance. At the bottom of the next screen, select the "Promotions" Icon (looks like a bag tag with a star in the middle),
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:07 am

Many thanks for the information...
Anytime! Let us know what you finally end up booking!
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage---LTGold, DL Skymiles
I have received similar offers before. If you aren't comfortable entering your password in a link in your email (don't blame you there!) I would suggest opening the AA app on your phone. There you can select your account and look at available promotions.

To select your account on the iPhone for example, click the box that appears with your name, status indicator and AA mileage balance. At the bottom of the next screen, select the "Promotions" Icon (looks like a bag tag with a star in the middle),
Thank you. I would have not thought of that. I appreciate your help. It is a real offer. Julia
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:23 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
  • Flying JFK <-> LHR in J for a business trip. Outbound leaves 6pm and arrives 6am. Inbound leaves 5pm arrives 8pm.
  • I am heading straight to the office after landing. I want to try to sleep a bit so I don't get exhausted later in the day. Is it recommended to eat in the Flagship lounge and skip the meal? Is there a way to get an 'express' meal service onboard? Is the meal in J worth having over an extra hour or so of sleep?
  • What's the quickest way to get to Liverpool Street area from LHR in the morning around 8-9am?
  • As I understand it I'm able to use fast-track immigration at LHR due to being in J. However, I have a Japanese passport so it seems I can also use the ePassport gates. Are these two mutually exclusive, if so, which is faster?
First international business trip and I'm a bit nervous. Thank you in advance!
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by mhy
  • I am heading straight to the office after landing. I want to try to sleep a bit so I don't get exhausted later in the day. Is it recommended to eat in the Flagship lounge and skip the meal? Is there a way to get an 'express' meal service onboard? Is the meal in J worth having over an extra hour or so of sleep?
If it were me, I would definitely hit up the flagship lounge and eat there as close to boarding time as possible. Tell the FA's that you would prefer to sleep as long as possible. You could always grab a quick bite at the arrivals lounge in T3 if that's where you arrive, or the T5 terminal if you end up there (that lounge is outside security)

Originally Posted by mhy
  • What's the quickest way to get to Liverpool Street area from LHR in the morning around 8-9am?
Take the Heathrow Express to Picadilly. (You can buy at kiosks in the terminal, they're everywhere...can't miss them) and transfer at the Picadilly stop to the Circle (yellow) line to Liverpool St area. Should be an hour, hour and 15 stop-to-stop.

Safe flight! Have fun on your first big biz trip!
mhy likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:37 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
If it were me, I would definitely hit up the flagship lounge and eat there as close to boarding time as possible. Tell the FA's that you would prefer to sleep as long as possible. You could always grab a quick bite at the arrivals lounge in T3 if that's where you arrive, or the T5 terminal if you end up there (that lounge is outside security)

Take the Heathrow Express to Picadilly. (You can buy at kiosks in the terminal, they're everywhere...can't miss them) and transfer at the Picadilly stop to the Circle (yellow) line to Liverpool St area. Should be an hour, hour and 15 stop-to-stop.

Safe flight! Have fun on your first big biz trip!
Thanks for the tips! I'll plan to have an early dinner at the lounge and go to bed as soon as the seatbelt sign goes off.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Heathrow Express to Paddington Station. From there, the Tube Circle or Hammersmith & City lines to Liverpool St.
JDiver, GlobalMatt, mhy and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Will be 2 awards USA Asia & Asia South Pacific
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ward-chart.jsp
Originally Posted by gnomey
110K is assuming no stopover, and no transiting through third region. (Eg, if you book QF)

But you are probably booking JAL and QF, which is why

JFK-NRT = 80K (US->Asia 1)
NRT-SIN = 30K (Asia 1->Asia 2)
SIN-SYD = 50K (Asia 2->South Pacific)
Total = 160K

Sounds right to me, you are booking 3 separate awards, because you are transiting two "third regions" (Asia 1 and Asia 2, respectively)

But you also get the benefit of stopover at each city you land and spending a few days, which is not the case in a traditional AA award booking where stopover is not allowed.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.