Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by gateH15

I know that OP booked in F on 3 class. But if I were him I would reroute in J OGG-DFW-BOS to get more time in lay flat seat
But also then no Krug in the LAX FFD. And no access to FFD in DFW, presumably.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
But also then no Krug in the LAX FFD. And no access to FFD in DFW, presumably.
yeah no access to lounge in DFW unfortunately based on any cabin for Hawaii flights
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Thank you for your help. My route was OGG-LAX-BOS-LHR. I credit to BAEC so the extra tier points are certainly useful but the main reason is that I don’t fancy about ten hours in a two class even in the first cabin!

Anyway, thanks to the advice here I called up and they rerouted me OGG-LAX-JFK-LHR. The agent was extremely helpful and now I get to try the AA first cabin and don’t have to change terminals which is a complete bonus. Originally the TATL was on BA.

AA impress yet again!

PS what’s this Krug I’m hearing about?
JJeffrey and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by srbrenna
Thank you for your help. My route was OGG-LAX-BOS-LHR. I credit to BAEC so the extra tier points are certainly useful but the main reason is that I don’t fancy about ten hours in a two class even in the first cabin!

Anyway, thanks to the advice here I called up and they rerouted me OGG-LAX-JFK-LHR. The agent was extremely helpful and now I get to try the AA first cabin and don’t have to change terminals which is a complete bonus. Originally the TATL was on BA.

AA impress yet again!

PS what’s this Krug I’m hearing about?
You can use Flagship Dining at LAX and JFK, all the Krug you can handle....
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Why does the price increase when I log into my AAdvantage account?

I searched for a ticket and the price was approximately $550. When I go to purchase it, it asks me to log in, I do and it tells me there is a price increase, one of the flights just sold out and now it's $650. I did this several times. I logged out, searched, went to purchase, logged in and the price increased. The last time I even cleared cookies before attempting this. I use Chrome.

Do AAdantage members get charged more?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Traveller
I searched for a ticket and the price was approximately $550. When I go to purchase it, it asks me to log in, I do and it tells me there is a price increase, one of the flights just sold out and now it's $650. I did this several times. I logged out, searched, went to purchase, logged in and the price increased. The last time I even cleared cookies before attempting this. I use Chrome.

Do AAdantage members get charged more?
I don't know the answer to your question, but you don't have to log in to purchase a flight: you can book as a guest, and add your AAdvantage number after your ticket has been issued.
Traveller likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:23 pm

In regards to a Citi Business Card that gives me Group 5 boarding on a BE fare. Do I have to have the card at the time of travel or just time of booking?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by kf2k3
In regards to a Citi Business Card that gives me Group 5 boarding on a BE fare. Do I have to have the card at the time of travel or just time of booking?
Generally, you’re required to have had the card listed in your AA account profile at least five days prior to travel.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:29 pm

Anyone knows about lounge access in Barcelona?
AA Plat and flying PE. Curious if they will give me invitation to the contract lounge ( I think Barcelona does not have IB or BA lounge).
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:22 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gateH15
Anyone knows about lounge access in Barcelona?
AA Plat and flying PE. Curious if they will give me invitation to the contract lounge ( I think Barcelona does not have IB or BA lounge).
For future reference, the oneworld lounge database can be found here: https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=

If you’re flying onwards on an AA flight, you’ll be using the Miro Lounge. If you’re flying another oneworld carrier, you’ll want to consult the link above.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:03 am

Oneworld lounges are available on arrival? I'm flying ZUR-LHR-LAX on BA business class (bought with AA miles). Then I continue on with a purchased coach ticket on Delta from LAX. Can I go to the OneWorld Lounge in LAX upon arrival from LHR?

Thanks!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qofmiwok
Oneworld lounges are available on arrival? I'm flying ZUR-LHR-LAX on BA business class (bought with AA miles). Then I continue on with a purchased coach ticket on Delta from LAX. Can I go to the OneWorld Lounge in LAX upon arrival from LHR?

Thanks!
Unless there is a dedicated Arrivals lounge then oneworld does not provide lounge access on arrival (without an onward oneworld flight). So since your flight from LAX is on DL you won't have any lounge access at LAX. If your flight from LAX was on AA or another oneworld carrier, then you could use any of the oneworld Business lounges.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:53 am

Bummer. Oneworld doesn't fly to my town so that's why I had to switch to Delta. I have priority pass also, would I be able to collect bags in Tom Bradley and use the lounge there before heading to the domestic terminal?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qofmiwok
Bummer. Oneworld doesn't fly to my town so that's why I had to switch to Delta. I have priority pass also, would I be able to collect bags in Tom Bradley and use the lounge there before heading to the domestic terminal?
No, the KAL Lounge at TBIT is airside, so you can't access it with checked bags. You would need to collect your bags at TBIT, then proceed to the DL terminal to check-in and drop your bags. You could then go a PP lounge, although depending on how much time you have I would do a little research to see if it's worth it.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:46 pm

Ok - dumb question about cancellation.

I booked a return flight and now want to cancel the outbound leg - but keep the return leg.

I accept that I'll pay a fee to cancel the outbound - but am I able to retain the return leg? Or will that be cancelled too and then I have to rebook?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.