Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old May 12, 2019, 3:43 pm

HI everyone, this will be my second trip ever on AA and I'll be flying business from JFK - LHR. I know I should make sure to book on the 77W to get the good seats, but are there any other recommendations to best enjoy this experience?

For mileage accrual, I think it will be best to credit my miles to AS as I'll be taking a BA 747 home and crediting my BA miles to AS. It looks like there's a nice arrivals lounge at London that I can use to shower. Anything else I should know about? Thanks in advance
Old May 12, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by cerps343
HI everyone, this will be my second trip ever on AA and I'll be flying business from JFK - LHR. I know I should make sure to book on the 77W to get the good seats, but are there any other recommendations to best enjoy this experience?

For mileage accrual, I think it will be best to credit my miles to AS as I'll be taking a BA 747 home and crediting my BA miles to AS. It looks like there's a nice arrivals lounge at London that I can use to shower. Anything else I should know about? Thanks in advance
You can also get a good breakfast in the lounge if you want to sleep longer on the flight.
JDiver and cerps343 like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Couple different questions.

Will AA protect on a separate ticket when connecting to QR for weather related incidents ?
I know they protect if they cause the delay but is weather an exclusion to that ?

Would be flying AA from CMH-ORD and then connecting QR on a separate ticket from ORD.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:28 pm

Due to carelessness, I ended up purchasing BE flights from IAH-FCO operated by BA and codeshare with AA on a different website (onetravel), will I be allowed a carry-on? TIA
Old May 12, 2019, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by manilabound
Due to carelessness, I ended up purchasing BE flights from IAH-FCO operated by BA and codeshare with AA on a different website (onetravel), will I be allowed a carry-on? TIA
You should get the standard BA hand baggage allowance but if you have to check a non-compliant bag then you will be charged. If they offer you the opportunity to check a compliant carry-on because of a lack of space then it should be free and will be checked through to FCO.
manilabound likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Shadowfactor
Couple different questions.

Will AA protect on a separate ticket when connecting to QR for weather related incidents ?
I know they protect if they cause the delay but is weather an exclusion to that ?

Would be flying AA from CMH-ORD and then connecting QR on a separate ticket from ORD.
Weather would not be an exclusion if both flights were on one ticket, so they won't be an exclusion on separate tickets. With separate AA-oneworld tickets, you are treated as a through-ticketed passenger for all IRROPS -- but you won't be permitted to through-check any baggage.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC, EK, VS FC
Travelling from BZE to LHR via MIA in late January, on a Saturday, in around 1700 and out around 2130. Travelling in J on a BA booked ticket
How manic will MIA be?
I gather luggage will be ITI so should t need to pick up and recheck? Assume will need to exit and re-enter via customs etc,

Any advice on maximising the experience!
Old May 13, 2019, 1:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Amlb
Travelling from BZE to LHR via MIA in late January, on a Saturday, in around 1700 and out around 2130. Travelling in J on a BA booked ticket
How manic will MIA be?
I gather luggage will be ITI so should t need to pick up and recheck? Assume will need to exit and re-enter via customs etc,

Any advice on maximising the experience!
Definitely have your checked bags tagged ITI so you dont have to deal with them. Youll still have to process immigration and afaik end up processing through security (theres a queue to your left in arrivals as you exit customs).
Old May 13, 2019, 1:25 pm

Will do, would AA need prompting on this?
Old May 13, 2019, 2:18 pm

One other thought, on our outward run to BZE from MIA
do we get access to the Flagship lounge?
travelling in Business
Thanks
Old May 13, 2019, 2:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Will do, would AA need prompting on this?
It’s quite possible. If they’re not using these regularly at Goldson airport they might have to be reminded or educated.

travelling in Business
Thanks
Central America qualifies for access.
Amlb likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:46 pm

travelling in Business
Thanks
yes you will be eligible for FL access in Miami as long as you have a J/F ticket that day or have a status with oneworld
Amlb likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:50 pm

Thanks on both counts
Old May 13, 2019, 3:03 pm

travelling in Business
Thanks
You would also get access if the legs between LHR and MIA are in business even if the other legs were domestic.
Amlb likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:31 am

EQM/EQD questions...help appreciated!

1. My flight from RDU-DFW was cancelled due to weather the other day. For me to still get to Tokyo on the expected date, I was re-booked through ORD. However, AA didn't have any seats RDU-ORD available so they booked me on UA. Will I still get my EQM/EQD? This was obviously out of my control and my payment still went to AA. I'm getting so close to Plat that I don't want to miss those miles, but guessing I'm screwed here.

2. I booked this trip as RDU-DFW-NRT-HND-SYD-LAX-CLT-RDU through AA. The HND-SYD portion was on Qantas and ticketed as QF 26. Do I understand right that this means .50 EQMs? Do those take longer to post?

3. Also, likely irrelevant, but with my HND-SYD diversion to CNS, do I get credit for an extra segment?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.