Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by bscooter26
I've requested sticker upgrades on two flights this coming Friday for my s/o (Gold) and myself (PLT) - When I check Expertflyer (non-premium), it shows there are two seats still available on each flight but they aren't sitting together. In the unlikely event that we are tops of the upgrade lists, would we still be upgraded and put into the split seats?
Yes, if you get the last 2 upgrades, then you'll be put in whatever seats are left.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Yes. You may be able to negotiate a swap with the people next to you if you can offer one of them a comparable or better seat but otherwise you just sit apart.
Great, thanks guys. The longer flight is an E175 so maybe if we are successful we can offer up the single-seater
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:23 pm

I'd like to start planning a trip to Europe (no hard itinerary, probably going to Albania) from the US on my AA miles. It is complicated of course, but I am probably looking to use SAAver miles in coach, but could be convinced to upgrade to business or first. Going to be in the summer from DFW (or SEA, complicated again), but I don't mind paying cash for legs to position myself for a better opportunity, but my better half starts balking as the number of hours of travel creep up. What are the 'good' routes to look at from DFW? Is there a place I can do this kind of search (US to Europe, Summer, Miles SAAver)? I see availability Dallas to Vienna which is good, but not coming back. Thanks.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by coregis
I'd like to start planning a trip to Europe (no hard itinerary, probably going to Albania) from the US on my AA miles. It is complicated of course, but I am probably looking to use SAAver miles in coach, but could be convinced to upgrade to business or first. Going to be in the summer from DFW (or SEA, complicated again), but I don't mind paying cash for legs to position myself for a better opportunity, but my better half starts balking as the number of hours of travel creep up. What are the 'good' routes to look at from DFW? Is there a place I can do this kind of search (US to Europe, Summer, Miles SAAver)? I see availability Dallas to Vienna which is good, but not coming back. Thanks.
PHL to DRV might be useful.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:47 am

Paid upgrade and mileage accrual

I have a question regarding paid upgrade and mileage accrual.

I recently helped my mother purchase an upgrade at the airport from an economy (Q) to business (C) for a short haul flight she was on. This was cheaper to do so ($45) to get two checked bags free, rather than paying ($30+$40=$70) for checking her two bags with the original ticket.

In this type of situation, does she accrue miles based on her original Q fare class or on her new C fare class?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Aragorn7
I have a question regarding paid upgrade and mileage accrual.

I recently helped my mother purchase an upgrade at the airport from an economy (Q) to business (C) for a short haul flight she was on. This was cheaper to do so ($45) to get two checked bags free, rather than paying ($30+$40=$70) for checking her two bags with the original ticket.

In this type of situation, does she accrue miles based on her original Q fare class or on her new C fare class?

Thanks in advance for your help.
if it was an upgrade like DOD or LFBU you will earn based on the underlying economy ticket. It will not consider the upgrade at all when crediting.

If you purchased an upfare (paid the difference in fare class) which at the airport would likely be very expensive. Then you would earn at the higher fare bucket.
JDiver and Aragorn7 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:25 pm

Odd Question Regarding Business Class Rewards Availability

I realize this is a mite odd but I'm grasping at straws.

I was trying to find the elusive Business Class to Europe on AA steel and started looking at random airports we might reach via a short domestic flight in economy. At some point I accidentally put in an airport code wrong. The first offering was a business class flight on AA steel with a connect through an airport near me. When I put the airport near me in as my starting point no business class offerings come up. Is this one of those cases where I might book the awards business class flight from the airport near me via phone?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by TravelFu

I was trying to find the elusive Business Class to Europe on AA steel and started looking at random airports we might reach via a short domestic flight in economy. At some point I accidentally put in an airport code wrong. The first offering was a business class flight on AA steel with a connect through an airport near me. When I put the airport near me in as my starting point no business class offerings come up. Is this one of those cases where I might book the awards business class flight from the airport near me via phone?
Confusingly this is the sort of thing that airlines do. They want to encourage flying from A to C via B but not B to C, and possibly not A to B either, and it's not likely to change if you call. Of course you won't know if you don't try but don't get your hopes up.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dedicated thread on this anomaly--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ch-2019-a.html
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Search for award availability from airports you can reposition easily / cheaply to. E.g. o DFW-LHR? Try ACT, AUS, IAH, SAT. There could be award flights in AA metal available from one or more, yet not from DFW. Or there might be DFW-CLT-LHR, etc.

Of course, avoid awards using BA metal, as those incur significant “carrier imposed” surcharges.

Also look at HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:12 am

I earned platinum pro status based on last year flying activity. Now I have 40k EQM's from this year travel. I am yet to receive any 500 mile upgrades into my account. What i am missing?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rustum76
I earned platinum pro status based on last year flying activity. Now I have 40k EQM's from this year travel. I am yet to receive any 500 mile upgrades into my account. What i am missing?
If you are currently Platinum Pro which you should be if you qualified for it last year through flying it would extend to Jan 31 2020. Plat Pro doesn’t use 500 mileage stickers as all upgrades are free.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor

If you are currently Platinum Pro which you should be if you qualified for it last year through flying it would extend to Jan 31 2020. Plat Pro doesn’t use 500 mileage stickers as all upgrades are free.
Nor do you earn them at PPro and above. If you need them for a companion you must buy them.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA, HH, HGC
Another probably obvious question:

Oe would assume that flights purchased directly via an AA Vacations package would qualify for EQMs, EQDs, and award miles just the same as a direct purchase. How are they coded, and more importantly do they count the same towards EQMs and EQDs for purposes of completing a membership challenge?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by VistaFlyer
Another probably obvious question:

Oe would assume that flights purchased directly via an AA Vacations package would qualify for EQMs, EQDs, and award miles just the same as a direct purchase. How are they coded, and more importantly do they count the same towards EQMs and EQDs for purposes of completing a membership challenge?
Yes and no. Pay, you earn. Use miles and money, you might earn nothing. Most often, AA Vacations accrue as special fares (generally better for EQD). Use AA award miles, you don’t even earn EQD on BA carrier imposed fees.

See FAQ: aavacations.com / AA Vacations flight & vacation package questions, discussion

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.