Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by wiivile
I tried to book JFK-GRU-CNF on AA/LA for 57.5k in J. The only thing I found was JFK-GRU and CGH-CNF requiring a change of airport in Sao Paulo. A couple questions:

1) If I book this, and a flight becomes available later without the change of airport (JFK-GRU-CNF), can I change it for free since my origin (JFK) and destination (CNF) is the same?

2) With a change of airport, I'm assuming you have to collect your bags at GRU, so I could always decide to drop that CGH-CNF segment, correct? What is AA's policy about dropped segments with partners (especially where there is a change of airport)? If I could drop that segment, I see no downside about booking JFK-GRU and CGH-CNF instead of just JFK-GRU if I don't know if I want to deal with the change of airport.
1) Yep, no fee, you're just changing connecting airports.

2) Again no fee to just drop the CGH-CNF. Or if you decide last minute you could always just no-show for that segment, assuming it's the last flight on this itinerary.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
What is your status this year? How many AAdvantage EQM have you accrued?
Reached upto gold this year. Earned Platinum pro last year. I have 38,600 EQM'S so far.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:16 pm

Anyone had any luck with getting AA to "hard sell" J on segments in cases where the whole thing is showing as BizSaver but the transatlantic segment is in coach?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by LowLevelElite
Anyone had any luck with getting AA to "hard sell" J on segments in cases where the whole thing is showing as BizSaver but the transatlantic segment is in coach?
trying to decide whether to book as-is and wait it out... RDU-LHR is showing 0 on expert flyer, not sure if it will ever open up later.... they refresh weekly right?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
I booked a flight through Princess EZAir, but I can't find anywhere to determine the fare code and/or figure out how many EQMs I'll earn. I'm less concerned with EQDs and redeemable miles. I think I can rule out the possibility of basic economy based on the fact that I was able to choose seats and was offered the option to upgrade with stickers once I looked up the booking on aa.com. Is that a reasonable assumption? Are there any regular economy fares that earn less than 1 EQM per mile flown that I should be worried about? The routing is BOS-PHX-YVR if that matters.

It's a flexible fare that's still refundable for another 10 days, so I'd like to feel confident that I'll earn EQMs as usual before it becomes nonrefundable. Thanks to anyone who can help!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: BAEC GOLD
Im a OWE with BAEC wil be travelling on American Eagle LAX-SFO in Y will i be able to access the QF First Lounge at LAX
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lmagnott
I booked a flight through Princess EZAir, but I can't find anywhere to determine the fare code and/or figure out how many EQMs I'll earn. I'm less concerned with EQDs and redeemable miles. I think I can rule out the possibility of basic economy based on the fact that I was able to choose seats and was offered the option to upgrade with stickers once I looked up the booking on aa.com. Is that a reasonable assumption? Are there any regular economy fares that earn less than 1 EQM per mile flown that I should be worried about? The routing is BOS-PHX-YVR if that matters.

It's a flexible fare that's still refundable for another 10 days, so I'd like to feel confident that I'll earn EQMs as usual before it becomes nonrefundable. Thanks to anyone who can help!
Yea, if you can select seats and request upgrades then you should be on something that will at least earn 1 EQM.

Many times vacation packages and flights purchased through other portals (especially when the exact airfare is "hidden") will credit RDM & EQD based on the special fare earning chart (see below thread). But, whether your flights credit normally or per the special fare earning, both ways will be 1 EQM.

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by db07mufan
Im a OWE with BAEC wil be travelling on American Eagle LAX-SFO in Y will i be able to access the QF First Lounge at LAX
Yep...
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

trying to decide whether to book as-is and wait it out... RDU-LHR is showing 0 on expert flyer, not sure if it will ever open up later.... they refresh weekly right?
What exactly are you trying to book and what is showing available? And when you say its showing 0 on EF, you mean 0 award space, or 0 space in business overall, or? Not quite sure what you're trying to do.

In any event, I've never heard of anyone being able to "hard sell" award space for a long haul segment on AA if it's not open. If that were a viable strategy then everyone would be doing it.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Exp
I've requested sticker upgrades on two flights this coming Friday for my s/o (Gold) and myself (PLT) - When I check Expertflyer (non-premium), it shows there are two seats still available on each flight but they aren't sitting together. In the unlikely event that we are tops of the upgrade lists, would we still be upgraded and put into the split seats?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: AA, HH, HGC
I have what is probably some basic questions but my ignorance requires them. It’s unfortunately also a long question….

Since I no longer travel for work, neither my spouse nor I have current elite status, but we do travel several times per year, almost exclusively AA, and hold Advantage accounts with modest mile balances.

In a few months, we will be making a Europe round trip, very likely: LAX-DFW-MUC. By milecalc this is 13,000. I assume this will be on a travel agent (consolidator?) ticket however, and in the past those seem to credit our Advantage accounts differently. If i look at a similar international trip from last year, they were O and S fares and are listed at AA as “Method: Distance - special fare”. A couple legs were on BA but with AA numbers. The EQMs did seem to be close to actual, if not actual at the end of the day.

Within a 90 day period, we will have at least two more domestic RTs that would normally ensure get to $2000 EQD and the 12,500 EQMs.

So the questions:
  1. Should we initiate a Platinum challenge? If we did, we would all also pay for PLAT status in order to take advantage on the trips especially the long European trip.
  2. If yes, can I presume that only one of us need do this as the benefits for Complimentary MCE / Preferred Seats would transfer to the companion as well.
  3. Will the O or S fares render the milage earned insufficient to meet the 12,500 EQM challenge?
  4. Will the O or S fair render the upgrade to MCE invalid?
  5. Should we just grin and bear another Economy transatlantic flight instead of shelling out $400 bucks for a challenge?
I don’t mind over paying a bit more than we will get back given our travel patterns for the next year, but I would mind paying for the immediate PLAT status and reaping no immediate benefit from it.

I hope the above makes sense.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by VistaFlyer
So the questions:
  1. Should we initiate a Platinum challenge? If we did, we would all also pay for PLAT status in order to take advantage on the trips especially the long European trip.
  2. If yes, can I presume that only one of us need do this as the benefits for Complimentary MCE / Preferred Seats would transfer to the companion as well.
  3. Will the O or S fares render the milage earned insufficient to meet the 12,500 EQM challenge?
  4. Will the O or S fair render the upgrade to MCE invalid?
  5. Should we just grin and bear another Economy transatlantic flight instead of shelling out $400 bucks for a challenge?
You briefly reference your travel plans for the next year. I would base your decision solely on whether you will benefit from Platinum (and re-qualify) over that extended time frame.

Your money might be better spend just purchasing MCE for the upcoming flights (MCE is not really an upgrade, it's just a paid seat that Plats and above can select for free at the time of booking).

The O and S fares will earn 1.00x EQM and will allow access to MCE, either as Platinum (free) or paid. If you decide the challenge is worthwhile, make sure you carefully track your EQDs, as taxes are not credited. If you fly on a consolidator/bulk fare S and O will earn EQDs of 10% and 5% of flown miles, respectively.
VistaFlyer likes this.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Apr 24, 2019 at 12:23 pm Reason: grammar; clarity
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA, HH, HGC
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
You briefly reference your travel plans for the next year. I would base your decision solely on whether you will benefit from Platinum (and re-qualify) over that extended time frame.

Your money might be better spend just purchasing MCE for the upcoming flights (MCE is not really an upgrade, it's just a paid seat that Plats and above can select for free at the time of booking).
Hmm.

Since travel the next year will be modest, the value of paying for immediate status and the challenge really comes down to whether the cost of the challenge is less than the cost of upgradings seats to MCE on the international RT. I guess MCE for this international RT is ~150. There will actually be four of us flying as a group, but ticketed as 2 couples. Could PLAT upgrade all four? If so, it makes it marginally "worth it".

Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Platinum can select MCE seats for all members of the party if booked in same PNR. So there would be no problem selecting MCE seats for everyone if the tickets were all booked together under one reservation.

Also, while MCE is just an economy seat with a few inches of extra legroom, it does include free alcohol on the plane, which is an extra perk if you would normally consider buying a drink on board.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bscooter26
I've requested sticker upgrades on two flights this coming Friday for my s/o (Gold) and myself (PLT) - When I check Expertflyer (non-premium), it shows there are two seats still available on each flight but they aren't sitting together. In the unlikely event that we are tops of the upgrade lists, would we still be upgraded and put into the split seats?
Yes. You may be able to negotiate a swap with the people next to you if you can offer one of them a comparable or better seat but otherwise you just sit apart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.