Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
I am hoping I might get into DFW early enough to catch the earlier flight to AUS then what I have booked.

If I put myself on the standby list for the earlier flight and I don't make the earlier flight will I still keep my seat for the later flight?
Yep
Leaping_Deere likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
list of abbreviations and terminology

Is there a list somehwere of common abbreviations and a glossary of terms used on this site?

I am NOT referring to airport codes.

For example, it took me awhile to figure out EXP meant "executive platinum." Or does it?

And what the heck is an "AA metal flight?"
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gregleck
Is there a list somewhere of common abbreviations and a glossary of terms used on this site?

For example, it took me awhile to figure out EXP meant "executive platinum." Or does it?

Some here, but their is also jargon/abbreviations used in a particular sub forum/ffp--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php

AA metal is a flight operated by an AA aircraft
As opposed to a codeshare: AA flight number/marketed on an aircraft operated by another airline, like BA.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by gregleck
Is there a list somehwere of common abbreviations and a glossary of terms used on this site?

AA marketed flight = AA codeshare, AA flight on boarding pass

AA operated flight = AA metal

See below for the assistance offered through the help menu, including the Glossary and the Airport Code Lookup.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:44 pm

AA Award change/Cancel on Gulf Air

I was wondering if anyone knows my options if I wanted to change an award flight I booked on Gulf Air Business Class BAH-LHR using AA miles.

AA doesnt have a partnership with Gulf Air anymore.
does anyone know, can I cancel and get miles refunded for a fee? Can I change dates?

thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:21 pm

Time from LHR landing to T3 information desk?

We plan to take AA100 to LHR. It's scheduled to land at about 6:50 am on a Wednesday. We'll be flying in J and therefore should get fast track immigration. No checked luggage.

We're going to have a car service meet us and it's asked for an estimate of how long after the flight arrives we'll get to the T3 information desk (presumably the area shortly after the exit from baggage claim) They'll monitor the flight for arrival time.

What's a good estimate of how long after landing it should take to get to the information desk?

Last edited by richarddd; Mar 10, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jaxfan11

I was wondering if anyone knows my options if I wanted to change an award flight I booked on Gulf Air Business Class BAH-LHR using AA miles.

AA doesnt have a partnership with Gulf Air anymore.
does anyone know, can I cancel and get miles refunded for a fee? Can I change dates?

thanks.
You can cancel and get the miles refunded.

You cant make any changes.

April 30, 2018, is the last day to fly and earn miles on Gulf Air. All award travel must be booked and ticketed by that date. Travel is valid for 1 year after ticket date but must be flown by April 30, 2019. You wont be able to make changes to any Gulf Air segments after April 30, 2018. -AA
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I am trying to buy a IAH to MXP business class tickets for two and cannot quite figure out which business class product on AA or BA to choose. I'd rather have shorter layover and would like to maximize credit to AS. Can anyone help with what airline and product to choose or consider?

I'd like to book on BA for the AARP discount but fly either AA or BA metal. It seems the BA upstairs 747 is well liked. What about AA metal?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tobikosan
I am trying to buy a IAH to MXP business class tickets for two and cannot quite figure out which business class product on AA or BA to choose. I'd rather have shorter layover and would like to maximize credit to AS. Can anyone help with what airline and product to choose or consider?

I'd like to book on BA for the AARP discount but fly either AA or BA metal. It seems the BA upstairs 747 is well liked. What about AA metal?
BA has one of the worst international business class hard products out there. Forward/backward seating where you have to climb over your neighbor to get out unless you're in an aisle, in which case your neighbor is climbing over you. There are a few window seats on the upper deck of the 747 that offer good privacy and unobstructed access, which is why it's generally preferred to other BA options. However, even in paid business class, without oneworld Sapphire status you still have to pay for seat assignments in advance. So unless you pay more for seats you run the risk of being stuck in a backwards facing middle seat.

AA's international business class hard product, on the other hand, will be all aisle access in a 1-2-1 config.

For soft product, service, meals, etc., they both have their nuances however I find it's largely a wash between AA and BA. I wouldn't pick one over the other in this area, both can be good and both can be bad.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:27 pm

Quick question - if I am flying on AA metal on a BA marketed flight do I earn EQM based on miles flown or does the BA rate code come into play? What about EQD? I'm not sure why I can get the same AA flights for around $500 from BA or $950 from AA but that is the situation I am looking at. Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Rookie3
Quick question - if I am flying on AA metal on a BA marketed flight do I earn EQM based on miles flown or does the BA rate code come into play? What about EQD? I'm not sure why I can get the same AA flights for around $500 from BA or $950 from AA but that is the situation I am looking at. Thanks.
If your ticket is issued by BA and your flights are coded BA, you will earn EQM/RDM/EQD based on partner earning schedule applicable to BA.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
If your ticket is issued by BA and your flights are coded BA, you will earn EQM/RDM/EQD based on partner earning schedule applicable to BA.
Thanks. Too bad there's not a way (that I am aware of) to get AA to match the price. That is too big of a difference to pay for the current version of full "earnings" and a limited shot at swus clearing. Why BA charges significantly less for AA flights is beyond me.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Rookie3
Thanks. Too bad there's not a way (that I am aware of) to get AA to match the price.
Technically, a travel agent can submit an itinerary to the desired carrier for a price match (if you've booked through one), but if the ticket is already issued, it's a bit late.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
And just to be clear, because this comes up frequently, with AA it doesn't matter who issues the ticket, all that matters is what flight number you're booked on.
NYC Flyer and JDiver like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
And just to be clear, because this comes up frequently, with AA it doesn't matter who issues the ticket, all that matters is what flight number you're booked on.
O
Thank you. There’s been a lot of “but it’s on XYZ Airlines ticket stock”. Immaterial.

The marketing airline is what counts (the airline and flight usually on the boarding pass, the “codeshare”). The operating airline operates the airplane, the marketing airline the miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.