Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
price and route questions

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and a lifetime platinum AA member who got that status by using the AA credit card; I fly less than six times a year.

(Platinum status seems to have been devalued greatly in the last few years.)

1. I am hoping to fly first class to Asia and back in the fall - looking to start/end in Vientiane with Singapore at the other end. The AA site shows ticket prices ($10K to $14K) but no award tickets to Vientiane.. I presume this is because first class award seats on partners are sometimes non-existent. In 2006 I called AA two to three times a day, every day for three months, waiting for a first class award seat from Sydney to the USA to open up after I spend the miles for a first class seat in hope of one becoming available - it never did, but a sympathetic gate agent gave me one on boarding (I had already spent the miles for first class months previously.)

So now my strategy is to fly AA to a nearby Asian city, such as Hanoi, then take a short flight or train to Vientiane. I've looked at the online American Airline's "Where We Fly" map but apparently it does not show One World Partners - for example, Hong Kong is not part of the map. Is there an online map which shows AA routes, including One World Partners? I'd like to try and determine which gateway cities from the USA are possible for flights to Asian destinations. Of course, if business or first class award seats aren't available on a given partner, it becomes moot.

2. I went to book a RSW to PHL first class ticket - it was $875. Put it on hold and then looked again the next day. Price had dropped to $750 so I tried to book it but could not because the earlier $875 ticket was still on hold. By the time I cancelled the on hold ticket and finally got back to the booking page, the price had dropped again to $550. Which makes me ask, when someone else cancels a ticket or on hold ticket, does it become available at the original price (which might be the lowest bucket level) or at the prevailing price at the time of cancellation (which could be the highest level)?

Thanks,
Greg
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by gregleck
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and a lifetime platinum AA member who got that status by using the AA credit card; I fly less than six times a year.

(Platinum status seems to have been devalued greatly in the last few years.)

1. I am hoping to fly first class to Asia and back in the fall - looking to start/end in Vientiane with Singapore at the other end. The AA site shows ticket prices ($10K to $14K) but no award tickets to Vientiane.. I presume this is because first class award seats on partners are sometimes non-existent. In 2006 I called AA two to three times a day, every day for three months, waiting for a first class award seat from Sydney to the USA to open up after I spend the miles for a first class seat in hope of one becoming available - it never did, but a sympathetic gate agent gave me one on boarding (I had already spent the miles for first class months previously.)

So now my strategy is to fly AA to a nearby Asian city, such as Hanoi, then take a short flight or train to Vientiane. I've looked at the online American Airline's "Where We Fly" map but apparently it does not show One World Partners - for example, Hong Kong is not part of the map. Is there an online map which shows AA routes, including One World Partners? I'd like to try and determine which gateway cities from the USA are possible for flights to Asian destinations. Of course, if business or first class award seats aren't available on a given partner, it becomes moot.

2. I went to book a RSW to PHL first class ticket - it was $875. Put it on hold and then looked again the next day. Price had dropped to $750 so I tried to book it but could not because the earlier $875 ticket was still on hold. By the time I cancelled the on hold ticket and finally got back to the booking page, the price had dropped again to $550. Which makes me ask, when someone else cancels a ticket or on hold ticket, does it become available at the original price (which might be the lowest bucket level) or at the prevailing price at the time of cancellation (which could be the highest level)?

Thanks,
Greg
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Greg.

First, I’d recommend the HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance thread (link), and in particular reading the Wikipost at the top of the page. It has a lot of useful information, including how to search for airkines you might find award seats on but don’t show up on aa.com. Cathay Pacific / CX flies to Hong Kong, so does American, and CX affiliate Cathay Dragon flies to VTE.

Even more detailed rules in the Wikipost of AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd).

For an interactive map and schedule, check the Innosked oneworld interactive route map: oneworld Online Timetable

And you are correct. There are low cost carriers connecting Hong Kong, Singapore, etc. to VTE.

Second, flights can change prices upward or downward. They tend to start high, and then drop as discounted fares with restrictions are added in, then climb again as those fare allocations are taken up or certain conditions expire (such as required 14 day or more advanced purchase).

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 7, 2019 at 9:19 pm
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:56 am

I'm thinking of diversifying my miles portfolio and think AA looks suitable but all I see on the calendar is the points necessary for redemption but not the taxes and fees. Hopefully you don't have to join to find out this stuff as I can't join at the moment as it keeps kicking our address out when I try to register. Will the costs be the same if I look the flight up on ITA matrix?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Lizie
I'm thinking of diversifying my miles portfolio and think AA looks suitable but all I see on the calendar is the points necessary for redemption but not the taxes and fees. Hopefully you don't have to join to find out this stuff as I can't join at the moment as it keeps kicking our address out when I try to register. Will the costs be the same if I look the flight up on ITA matrix?
Yes, you can go to aa.com and make a dummy award booking, it will show you the miles + taxes/fees needed before requiring you to log in to your account.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, you can go to aa.com and make a dummy award booking, it will show you the miles + taxes/fees needed before requiring you to log in to your account.
Thank you JJeffrey. Have tried going through the aa.com page but when it loads the flights I get sent to the UK booking page (see below). Have checked with BA and there are seats available on this flight. It's just not showing the charges.

DOH-BHX
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
They will email you sometimes although often it will come days/weeks/months after the actual schedule change. It's definitely best to keep an eye out yourself.
will it show there was a change in schedule on the itinerary? I have a multiple leg trip scheduled for the fall and I don’t remember the exact times it leaves, arrives, etc. so I was curious if it would indicate there was a schedule change when I look at my flights?

thanks
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I haven't found a way to do it without either logging in or providing passenger details.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
If I book AA metal on the BA website with BA flight #s , will I be able to pick seats as an AA Platinum Pro? I'm booking in premium economy, so it seems to make sense to do so to get more EQDs, as long as I can pick seats.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by puchalskir
If I book AA metal on the BA website with BA flight #s , will I be able to pick seats as an AA Platinum Pro? I'm booking in premium economy, so it seems to make sense to do so to get more EQDs, as long as I can pick seats.
Platinum and Platinum Pro are merely onehworld Sapphire.

Silver /oneworld Sapphire: Free seat selection from the time of booking
for everyone in your booking*.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Lizie
Thank you JJeffrey. Have tried going through the aa.com page but when it loads the flights I get sent to the UK booking page (see below). Have checked with BA and there are seats available on this flight. It's just not showing the charges
Originally Posted by MADPhil
I haven't found a way to do it without either logging in or providing passenger details.
Weird, so on the aa.com mobile site you can select your award flights and see the total miles and taxes/fees before logging in. But on the aa.com desktop site you're right, it prompts you for your log-in before showing the totals.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Weird, so on the aa.com mobile site you can select your award flights and see the total miles and taxes/fees before logging in. But on the aa.com desktop site you're right, it prompts you for your log-in before showing the totals.
Curious. The other question is at what point do they take the seat out of inventory? There was a lot of debate on FT about this a while back but I don't remember the conclusion, other than that it was quite early in the process. One would hope that they put it back when you drop the "reservation".
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by JDiver
Platinum and Platinum Pro are merely onehworld Sapphire.

Silver /oneworld Sapphire: Free seat selection from the time of booking
for everyone in your booking*.
Thanks, I was just making sure that AA wasn't going to penalize me for booking on BA. I never know what the rules are any more.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by puchalskir
Thanks, I was just making sure that AA wasn't going to penalize me for booking on BA. I never know what the rules are any more.
Actually, AA and AY, BA, IB and JL all earn up to 2 or 3 EQM now, because of the JBA (which includes revenue sharing).
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:06 pm

Thanks for your help everyone, twitter advice was to clear cache
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
I am hoping I might get into DFW early enough to catch the earlier flight to AUS then what I have booked.

If I put myself on the standby list for the earlier flight and I don't make the earlier flight will I still keep my seat for the later flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.