Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Anns76
Hi
Im flying from FCO to LHR on BA in July. I’m flying on the last flight and land around 10pm. Now I lived in in London 20 years ago for a year, but now I’m traveling with a 10 year old. My question is is it safe to take the Heathrow express then catch a cab at Paddington that late with a child or should I take a cab to my hotel from the airport?
Thanks!
You will be perfectly fine to take the HEX to Paddington and then catch a taxi.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Does AA still offer OneWorld multi city awards? In 2007 I booked MCI-ORD-YUL-LHR LGW-DBV-LGW-ZHR-LHR-YUL-DFW-HNL-SYC-AKL-LAX-DFW-MCI
in business class for 190,000 miles. I haven't flown in years because of caring for an ill family member but want to venture forth soon. Is this type of award still available? I couldn't figure out from the website. Originally found out about the award on FlyerTalk. Thank you, FlyerTalk!
pooran likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by lolosmama
Does AA still offer OneWorld multi city awards?
No; AA's "oneworld Explorer" award was discontinued several years ago.
pooran likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:35 pm

American Airlines 737-800 with Row 7 the first bulkhead row

We are flying this aircraft and have reserved exit row 15, rows 14 and 15 are exit rows. I am considering changing to the bulkhead seats in row 7, and aisle and middle seat. Anyone have any opinions regarding these seats? Seat width? Legroom? I know the armrests are immoveable in both of these rows. Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by powerski4me
We are flying this aircraft and have reserved exit row 15, rows 14 and 15 are exit rows. I am considering changing to the bulkhead seats in row 7, and aisle and middle seat. Anyone have any opinions regarding these seats? Seat width? Legroom? I know the armrests are immoveable in both of these rows. Thanks for your help.
i always opted for row 14 on this config. I have more leg room in my row (I can get out of the window seat and into the aisle without the middle or aisle seat occupant having to get up) and the row behind also has more legroom, so less chance of having a pair of knees in my back. The one issue with row 7 is that being a bulkhead, there is no under seat stowage, so all carry on luggage has to go into the overhead, so you will have to board pretty sharpish in the hope that there is still room in the overhead.

One potential spanner in the works here is that between now and your actual flight, an Oasis 737 may be substituted. Row 7 disappears and row 14 and 15 become main cabin with no extra legroom, or MCE and row 16 and 17 become the MCE exit rows. I now pick row 8 on a 737 to maintain a seat with the frills of MCE.
powerski4me likes this.

Last edited by Reetmafreen; Feb 16, 2019 at 8:51 pm Reason: bleedin Apple auto correct!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: AA
Last month I had booked an AAdvantage Award ticket from AUS-AMS. I used Mileage Saver and was in F on the AUS-PHL leg, then J on the PHL-AMS leg. Two hour connection in PHL. When I got to the airport in AUS, I boarded as normal. After 30 minutes, they sent us off the aircraft for mechanical issues. They told us to rebook at the gate. Watching 100 people line up at the gate with one agent to help, I quickly scrambled back outside of security to find an AA counter with no one in line. I told him the flight to PHL was cancelled and that I was needed to get to AMS. He really, really didn't like that i said the flight to PHL was cancelled, he emphasized that it was "infinitely delayed." Whatever dude. Really wanting to make it to AMS on time and not have to go back home for another day, I was super nice to this guy and just agreed with him and went along with his terminology.

He rebooked me on the (same day) BA AUS-LHR nonstop and then onto LHR-AMS. On the AUS-LHR leg, he rebooked me in J, but this is a BA three class aircraft. I was in the highest class of service on the AA flights (F on AUS-PHL and J on PHL-AMS). Should he have booked me in F on the BA flight?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by fullflaps
Last month I had booked an AAdvantage Award ticket from AUS-AMS. I used Mileage Saver and was in F on the AUS-PHL leg, then J on the PHL-AMS leg. Two hour connection in PHL. When I got to the airport in AUS, I boarded as normal. After 30 minutes, they sent us off the aircraft for mechanical issues. They told us to rebook at the gate. Watching 100 people line up at the gate with one agent to help, I quickly scrambled back outside of security to find an AA counter with no one in line. I told him the flight to PHL was cancelled and that I was needed to get to AMS. He really, really didn't like that i said the flight to PHL was cancelled, he emphasized that it was "infinitely delayed." Whatever dude. Really wanting to make it to AMS on time and not have to go back home for another day, I was super nice to this guy and just agreed with him and went along with his terminology.

He rebooked me on the (same day) BA AUS-LHR nonstop and then onto LHR-AMS. On the AUS-LHR leg, he rebooked me in J, but this is a BA three class aircraft. I was in the highest class of service on the AA flights (F on AUS-PHL and J on PHL-AMS). Should he have booked me in F on the BA flight?
Certainly not. He preserved your Business Class booking, which is exactly what you paid for.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by JDiver
Certainly not. He preserved your Business Class booking, which is exactly what you paid for.
Ok, makes sense. And I got to use the BA Lounge at LHR which was great.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Noob question- my mother is flying SJC-DFW-BOG. She has no status. SJC-DFW is up front while DFW-BOG is in Y (J0).

I assume that since she has no status and is in Y on the intl leg, she wont have access to the lounge? Is this correct? And that the inbound leg doesn't matter?

I'm traversing the world of no status and realizing exactly how spoiled I am as EXP for the last 5 years.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:12 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I'm looking at an S fare between Canada and the US. The cheapest fare is "main cabin". Is it possible to utilize my oneworld Emerald allowance for up to three checked bags for free? Additionally, are there any fares between Canada and the US that do not allow the elite benefit baggage allowance to be used.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Antarius
Noob question- my mother is flying SJC-DFW-BOG. She has no status. SJC-DFW is up front while DFW-BOG is in Y (J0).

I assume that since she has no status and is in Y on the intl leg, she wont have access to the lounge? Is this correct? And that the inbound leg doesn't matter?

I'm traversing the world of no status and realizing exactly how spoiled I am as EXP for the last 5 years.
Unfortunately, that is correct. I’m not even sure a purchased Admirals Club pass would be possible, as passes aren’t usually sold at airports where Club construction or closures are in place, and there’s no Club currently in Terminal D, from which she will depart.

Originally Posted by danger
I'm looking at an S fare between Canada and the US. The cheapest fare is "main cabin". Is it possible to utilize my oneworld Emerald allowance for up to three checked bags for free? Additionally, are there any fares between Canada and the US that do not allow the elite benefit baggage allowance to be used.
Your Emerald baggage allowance will work.
Antarius likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:40 pm

Is the most recent info on seat selection on BA after becoming AA platinum, but on a booking made prior, still just to contact BA? I have DMed them on twitter (also joined twitter just for this occasion. I previously tried the Royal Jordanian and the Finnair sites to try and delete my AA FF# to try and add it back, but I can't even get it out, even when I do the dropdowns to switch it to a BA FF number. Or is this question better suited for the BA forum?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JDiver
Unfortunately, that is correct. I’m not even sure a purchased Admirals Club pass would be possible, as passes aren’t usually sold at airports where Club construction or closures are in place, and there’s no Club currently in Terminal D, from which she will depart.
Thanks. unfortunately, I'm flying via MIA a day later; we are together on the return, so that's much easier.

and yes, the AC situation is messy in DFW with D closed. And that "premium lounge" or whatever is a waste of time.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: QANTAS, Oneworld
Admiral’s Club Day Pass at JFK T8

I have OW Ruby status and will by flying JFK-ORD in domestic First on AA from T8 in late April, and wife is flying JFK-HKG on Cathy Pacific in Business Class from T8 earlier on the same day..... but I will have a wait of several hours before my domestic flight departs.

I know that a AA Domestic First ticket does not given me unpaid access to the Admirals’s Club lounge, but I was hoping that I could buy a Day Pass. However, I have heard that Day Passes may not be available at the T8 Admiral’s Club.

So, is his the case? If so, are there any other paid lounges in T8 I could pay for access to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.