Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
The AA gift card terms say that:

I want the pay the taxes on an award originating outside the US. Are there any workarounds to pay with the AA gift card?
Gift cards cannot be used to pay for the taxes/fees on award tickets, so even if your flight was originating in the US you still wouldn't be able to use it. But to answer your question no, there are no real workarounds to use gift cards on flights that don't originate in the US etc.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
i am flying business class to bcn but stopping in phl , would i have access to lax flagship lounge? My leg from lax to phl is first but phl to bcn is business
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by happyvoid
i am flying business class to bcn but stopping in phl , would i have access to lax flagship lounge? My leg from lax to phl is first but phl to bcn is business
PHL-BCN in Business should get Flagship Loungevaccess at LAX as well.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:13 pm

Thanks for info. I plan to fly to Barcelona but have layover in PHL for 12 hours, can the airport store my luggage during that time?
My final destination is BCN. But since I am flying from LAX to PHL , i arrive to phl at 6:00 am , but my flight to bcn is at 7:00 pm the same day
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:39 am

Thanks for info. I plan to fly to Barcelona but have layover in PHL for 12 hours, can the airport store my luggage during that time?
My final destination is BCN. But since I am flying from LAX to PHL , i arrive to phl at 6:00 am , but my flight to bcn is at 7:00 pm the same day
AA usually has a baggage connection cutoff of 12 hours. Try through checking, but they might deny you.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:37 am

Is that 12 hours from the time you land or the time you fly? I plan to land on PHL at 6:00 AM. But that say day I will fly to BCN from 7:00 PM. So it is about 13 hours. But is it possible for me to stay in the centurion lounge for an hour and then drop off luggage from the 12 hour mark? Also, one of the passenger is Platinum Pro but not sure if that makes a difference
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Is that 12 hours from the time you land or the time you fly? I plan to land on PHL at 6:00 AM. But that say day I will fly to BCN from 7:00 PM. So it is about 13 hours. But is it possible for me to stay in the centurion lounge for an hour and then drop off luggage from the 12 hour mark? Also, one of the passenger is Platinum Pro but not sure if that makes a difference
Suggest that you call AA and ask. The fact that AA will allow you to through-check a bag on a less-than-12-hour connection does not necessarily mean that AA will let you check bags in at PHL 12 hours before departure time.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: Watergate
I'm flying ORD-DFW (AA 1106) on April 16th. The flight originally left at 11:45am but now leaves at 10:50 (55 min net change). I booked through American Express Travel so I called them up and requested to change to a later flight that day. They are insisting that because the change is under an hour that a fee will apply. My reading of the guide here is that "If the Schedule Change is: 59 minutes or less - May book AA or AA* (any AA Codeshare) flights for the same travel dates, origination/destination, same inventory as originally ticketed" means they should rebook me without fees. Am I reading that correctly? Is Amex wrong?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by RichardNixon
I'm flying ORD-DFW (AA 1106) on April 16th. The flight originally left at 11:45am but now leaves at 10:50 (55 min net change). I booked through American Express Travel so I called them up and requested to change to a later flight that day. They are insisting that because the change is under an hour that a fee will apply. My reading of the guide here is that "If the Schedule Change is: 59 minutes or less - May book AA or AA* (any AA Codeshare) flights for the same travel dates, origination/destination, same inventory as originally ticketed" means they should rebook me without fees. Am I reading that correctly? Is Amex wrong?
I would certainly try a few HUCAs with Amex.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:23 am

AMEX Travel sells some changeable fares, actually more than AA. But as a travel agency, they can superimpose other requirements to the airkines. So you can have a fare AA detailed fare rules allow specified changes on, but the selling travel agency as ticket owner can impose more restrictive rules.

Thats one of the problems one can expect with OTAs - some may not refund cancellations even though the airline might have refunded or vouchered all but a change fee.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:37 am

Hello,

When is the best time to check in for a Basic Economy fare to try to score the best seats? I know with Frontier I always check in as late as possible (like an hour before takeoff) and it usually works pretty well. Is AA Basic Economy set up the same way? Or should I try to check in as early as possible?

Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Hi - Probably a Newbie question;

Hoping I'll be able to make a SDFC to my current booking IAD>CLT>MSY. I know you can only make those changes 24hours in advance of the flight you want to change to. I want to check if that 24hours is from the first leg or any flights in the booking? So;

Does that mean it needs to be T-24 to the new IAD>CLT flight or the 2nd leg CLT>MSY?

Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Hello Folks,
AA Platinum traveling economy for my employer.
Just found out I need to be in Sydney (Dep from PHL Sat) Monday morning, have to be home Thursday. Trying to decode best rate of return booking straight AA or straight Qantas. See the flights but don't want to miss out on the most. Looks like class K on AA flights, not sure what economy class is on Qantas. $2900 on AA, $3500 on Qantas.

Help appreciated.
Dave
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by audiodave1
AA Platinum traveling economy for my employer.
Just found out I need to be in Sydney (Dep from PHL Sat) Monday morning, have to be home Thursday. Trying to decode best rate of return booking straight AA or straight Qantas. See the flights but don't want to miss out on the most. Looks like class K on AA flights, not sure what economy class is on Qantas. $2900 on AA, $3500 on Qantas.
Money matters, even if its your employers
Can your employer pay for premium economy? (not economy plus)

QF do not fly from PHL so the first flight will be an AA codeshare
QF fly from JFK(via LAX), DFW, LAX & SFO to SYD

Most(all?) the flights ex USA land at SYD very early morning.
You would probably earn more AA miles/status on a AA ticket/flight number than QF, but will need to do the calculation.

With AA you could upgrade with AA ff miles/instrument. But hard. AA thread--->LAX-SYD AA 73 / 72 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion
On QF you will not be able to upgrade with AA ff miles.

Be aware of the date line changes USA<----->Australia
You skip a day going to Au.

Information
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Thank you,
I cannot find a PE fare less than $6k so suck it up on AA metal it looks like to and take their 380 to DFW back.

Best Regards,
Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.