Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by elhombre
I usually book my flights to europe in economy for me and my family, especially with points. However I am going to london by myself for work, and I really want to book a business or first class flight from PHX to LHR. I am not finding any nonstop in business for early May, only in economy. To be frank, some of these connections suck, with layovers for 6-7 hours.... is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?
AA does something that's called "married segments" (google it. I say google it only because I can't really come up with good examples to explain it like others have). My thoughts are they want to make it so inconvenient for people to redeem miles that they don't. I'm really jaded though.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:43 am

Gold Challenge

So I'm doing the gold challenge and I'm only missing about $200 EQDs to get the gold status. I have a HKG-LAX flight coming up next which will complete the EQD req.
Any idea if I can get any gold benefits, or possibly get on an upgrade list for the HKG-LAX flight?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
I’ve googled the upgrade with points charts and some blogs. But I’ll ask here since I was still hoping. I’m only plat, can I upgrade discount Econ to J with points and cash on an international itinerary?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by whostolemycookie
So I'm doing the gold challenge and I'm only missing about $200 EQDs to get the gold status. I have a HKG-LAX flight coming up next which will complete the EQD req.
Any idea if I can get any gold benefits, or possibly get on an upgrade list for the HKG-LAX flight?
Unfortunately AA won't give you any Gold benefits until you actually meet the challenge and your status is updated. But you don't need to be an elite to get on the upgrade list, a HKG-LAX upgrade from discount economy to business is 25k miles + $350 copay. You need to call AA to get added to the waitlist.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJWarrior
I’ve googled the upgrade with points charts and some blogs. But I’ll ask here since I was still hoping. I’m only plat, can I upgrade discount Econ to J with points and cash on an international itinerary?
I just mentioned it in the post above, but you don't need any certain status with AA to upgrade an international flight with miles/co-pay. You don't say where you're going, but all long haul international routes are 25k miles + $350 to upgrade from discount economy/premium economy to business.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I just mentioned it in the post above, but you don't need any certain status with AA to upgrade an international flight with miles/co-pay. You don't say where you're going, but all long haul international routes are 25k miles + $350 to upgrade from discount economy/premium economy to business.

So you pay twice? Once for PE and once to J? so 50K + $700
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ceres
So you pay twice? Once for PE and once to J? so 50K + $700
No no, you only pay once, the upgrade price is the same from discount economy to business as from discount premium economy to business.

economy > business upgrade: 25k + $350

premium economy > business upgrade: 25k + $350
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:52 am

Reason for delay changed from maintenance to ground operations...normal?

I recently flew IND-DFW-EZE... the inbound flight to IND was delayed 30 minutes at first...I called the PLT desk to inquiry into possible options. I asked the reason the for delay and was told 'maintenance'. Later the flight was posted as a 2 hour delay and I knew I would miss my connection. I called the PLT desk to inquiry into other routes that day...maybe through MIA..no dice.
I asked again about the reason for delay and was told 'maintenance'. I flew to DFW anyway and they rebooked me for the next day. When I inquired about a hotel voucher I was told this was a ground operations delay and the customer pays. Very odd.....

Are AA personnel measured on customer expense reimbursement and incented to code delays other than maintenance? Hope not.....
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Goin-2-AA
I recently flew IND-DFW-EZE... the inbound flight to IND was delayed 30 minutes at first...I called the PLT desk to inquiry into possible options. I asked the reason the for delay and was told 'maintenance'. Later the flight was posted as a 2 hour delay and I knew I would miss my connection. I called the PLT desk to inquiry into other routes that day...maybe through MIA..no dice.
I asked again about the reason for delay and was told 'maintenance'. I flew to DFW anyway and they rebooked me for the next day. When I inquired about a hotel voucher I was told this was a ground operations delay and the customer pays. Very odd.....

Are AA personnel measured on customer expense reimbursement and incented to code delays other than maintenance? Hope not.....
If you had posted the date and flight number, it might be possible to pull up information.

I’d still submit a claim for hotel based on what the first two agents told you. The DFW employee might have made something up to shine you on.

BTW, there is no “Platinum Desk”, other than in AA pufflicity. There’s a Platinum number that offers higher priority than Gold or non-status pax, but you have to be Executive Platinum or Concierge Key to actually get a dedicated agent staff. (I was EP 17 years - and at one time had favorite EP agents I’d ask for by name - I’ve been and am again Platinum.)
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
If you had posted the date and flight number, it might be possible to pull up information.

I’d still submit a claim for hotel based on what the first two agents told you. The DFW employee might have made something up to shine you on.

BTW, there is no “Platinum Desk”, other than in AA pufflicity. There’s a Platinum number that offers higher priority than Gold or non-status pax, but you have to be Executive Platinum or Concierge Key to actually get a dedicated agent staff. (I was EP 17 years - and at one time had favorite EP agents I’d ask for by name - I’ve been and am again Platinum.)
Thank you.....My flight to DFW was AA 1018 on January 24th. However, I can't find where the inbound aircraft was from that caused the delay.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Goin-2-AA
Thank you.....My flight to DFW was AA 1018 on January 24th. However, I can't find where the inbound aircraft was from that caused the delay.
Perhaps someone here will be able to come up with that. I’m limited to a couple of days.

With or without, I’d still make a claim with the first two agents attributing the issue to mechanical. AA surely has the records and if it’s one of those "Force Majeure" instances they’ll certainly let you know. Good luck.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:13 pm

award question - canceling and rebooking or merging two held record locators

I am wanting to travel on aa metal from MKE to CLT on Friday night in business class. Then travel from CLT to FLL on Saturday morning also in business class on aa metal. I have both of those award bookings on two separate holds through american's website at the saver level (they weren't both available when I first held the first one). I have them saved each at 25K but would like to combine them into one to save 25K

Here's the problem: the first segment is no longer showing available on Americans site. I am betting that if I cancelled these held flights, it's not likely that the first segment will show available again...or do you think it will?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
yes thank you it answered up thread. Sorry, my bad.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mstrbldr
I am wanting to travel on aa metal from MKE to CLT on Friday night in business class. Then travel from CLT to FLL on Saturday morning also in business class on aa metal. I have both of those award bookings on two separate holds through american's website at the saver level (they weren't both available when I first held the first one). I have them saved each at 25K but would like to combine them into one to save 25K

Here's the problem: the first segment is no longer showing available on Americans site. I am betting that if I cancelled these held flights, it's not likely that the first segment will show available again...or do you think it will?
There is never a guarantee that if you cancel an award flight that the seat will go back into award inventory. Previously this would be easy, you could call AA and have them add the CLT-FLL onto your existing MKE-CLT reservation that's on hold. However with all the new married segments "issues" it can now require there be space on the entire journey to make a change, i.e. MKE-CLT-FLL needs to all be available. In any event I would call AA and ask to add the CLT-FLL onto your existing MKE-CLT reservation and just see what they say.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Was considering doing a paid challenge to platinum status.
I don’t really want to pay the extra $300 for status during the challenge because I’m flying business domestically so I wouldn’t receive anything for doing so.

I would complete the challenge in the morning from CMH-LAX. Later that day I’m flying LAX- HKG in PE.

How quickly does AA award status from flying on a challenge. I’m asking because I need OW Sapphire/AA platinum to access the AA flagship lounge in LAX.

Any way I could call AA that morning after flying to finish my challenge and have the status added to my account immediately?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.