Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Interlining checked luggage AA to EY??

Not new to AA or FT but can not find if AA will check luggage thru to EY. Any info is appreciated.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pssteve
Not new to AA or FT but can not find if AA will check luggage thru to EY. Any info is appreciated.
Same PNR = yes
Different PNR= no
AA thread on bag interlining with OW --->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2016-a.html
Expect AA to EY will be same as AA to other OW airlines
So if the EY flight has been purchased separately AA will not check luggage through to EY

Edit
Another AA to EY thread (but exactly not the same topic). Look at post 9
AA connecting to EY in BCN - recheck luggage?

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 3, 2019 at 1:27 pm
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
LHR arrivals lounge question

Newbie to AA lounges here. I have access through the world elite credit card, but have only ever use the access domestically. My husband and I are travelling to LHR in may, and I was wondering about the arrivals lounge. We will most likely be coach class. Does my access allow us access for showers and such on arrival? Is the arrivals lounge before we have to go through customs or after? Is the lounge on the front side of security (I saw one on the LHR map) a regular lounge we are able to use? I will be flying into LHR a bit over the next few years, as my son is moving to England in June. Will I be able to take my son and daughter-in-law with me into the lounges? I know my husband can, but can I take all 3 on occasion that we may all be flying together? Thank you in advance for all of the help.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Smrtmom1
Newbie to AA lounges here. I have access through the world elite credit card, but have only ever use the access domestically. My husband and I are travelling to LHR in may, and I was wondering about the arrivals lounge. We will most likely be coach class. Does my access allow us access for showers and such on arrival? Is the arrivals lounge before we have to go through customs or after? Is the lounge on the front side of security (I saw one on the LHR map) a regular lounge we are able to use? I will be flying into LHR a bit over the next few years, as my son is moving to England in June. Will I be able to take my son and daughter-in-law with me into the lounges? I know my husband can, but can I take all 3 on occasion that we may all be flying together? Thank you in advance for all of the help.
What world elite credit card do you have that offers longe access? If its an AA Citi Executive MasterCard, that allows Admirals Class access, and there are showers, as it confers membership. Two guests allowed, if thats your card. If you have another AAdvantage card, you actually dont have lounge access at all, though you can purchase one day passes for everyone.

The AA arrivals lounge is landside and will not be available to you, unless youre one world Emerald - but without guests - or arriving in Business or First.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
What world elite credit card do you have that offers longe access? If its an AA Citi Executive MasterCard, that allows Admirals Class access, and there are showers, as it confers membership. Two guests allowed, if thats your card. If you have another AAdvantage card, you actually dont have lounge access at all, though you can purchase one day passes for everyone.

The AA arrivals lounge is landside and will not be available to you, unless youre one world Emerald - but without guests - or arriving in Business or First.
I have the AA Citi Executive World Elite MasterCard, which does grant me Admirals Club access membership. I used to be OW Sapphire, but didn't fly enough last 2 years to maintain, so now I'm back to "member" status. Hopefully this year, with multiple trips to England planned, that will change.

And I want to make sure that I understand, I CAN go into the Admirals Club after security, and they have showers. And unless we upgrade to Business or First (which we may still do...haven't purchased tickets yet), then we can NOT use the arrivals lounge. Is that correct?

I'm sorry to have so many questions, as I said, the whole international lounge access issues are new to me. Thank you again.

I know I also have complimentary membership to Priority Pass locations with my Hilton card, and have found one in our terminal at LHR. But I wasn't sure which lounges I had access to on the AA side.
Thank you again!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I will be flying from LHR to DFW in business class on board an AA operated B777-200 in early April. According to the Seat Guru website, there are two 772 business class seating configurations used by American including one where every other window seat in business faces to the rear. I'd much rather being facing forward.

Is American still operating the 772 with this configuration which includes rear facing window seats in business class? Looking at my seat assignment on the aa.com, the seat chart does not indicate which way the seat faces.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Smrtmom1
I have the AA Citi Executive World Elite MasterCard, which does grant me Admirals Club access membership. I used to be OW Sapphire, but didn't fly enough last 2 years to maintain, so now I'm back to "member" status. Hopefully this year, with multiple trips to England planned, that will change.

And I want to make sure that I understand, I CAN go into the Admirals Club after security, and they have showers. And unless we upgrade to Business or First (which we may still do...haven't purchased tickets yet), then we can NOT use the arrivals lounge. Is that correct?

I'm sorry to have so many questions, as I said, the whole international lounge access issues are new to me. Thank you again.

I know I also have complimentary membership to Priority Pass locations with my Hilton card, and have found one in our terminal at LHR. But I wasn't sure which lounges I had access to on the AA side.
Thank you again!
When you arrive at LHR you will not have any lounge access, unless you upgrade to business class, at which point you could access the Arrivals Lounge. The Admirals Club is airside in the departures hall at LHR T3, and you need a valid onward boarding pass to access this area. So you can access the Admirals Club anytime you are departing LHR T3, just not arriving.
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
I will be flying from LHR to DFW in business class on board an AA operated B777-200 in early April. According to the Seat Guru website, there are two 772 business class seating configurations used by American including one where every other window seat in business faces to the rear. I'd much rather being facing forward.

Is American still operating the 772 with this configuration which includes rear facing window seats in business class? Looking at my seat assignment on the aa.com, the seat chart does not indicate which way the seat faces.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, AA still operates the foward/backward config in business class on some of the 772's (and has no current plans to update these planes). Unfortunately you will not know which config you're set to be on until around 24-48 hrs before the flight, until then all seatmaps appear as the 100% forward facing config. The below thread/wiki has all the details...

Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (2019 on)
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:30 pm

I'm flying
NRT-ORD-DFW-DEN in J next week

From what I see AA pretty purposely blocks any saver space in all cabins 2 weeks prior to departure (I'll still check daily though to try and change prior). Is there any way to same day change/standby for a fee to get the ORD-DEN direct as a worst case? Any tips or tricks or something I"m missing?

I see their rules here are pretty strict on changes. Surely if the plane leaves with empty seats it would make business sense to take a fee and put a standby butt in the seat for the direct?
https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:00 pm

business class availability with points

I usually book my flights to europe in economy for me and my family, especially with points. However I am going to london by myself for work, and I really want to book a business or first class flight from PHX to LHR. I am not finding any nonstop in business for early May, only in economy. To be frank, some of these connections suck, with layovers for 6-7 hours.... is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elhombre
I usually book my flights to europe in economy for me and my family, especially with points. However I am going to london by myself for work, and I really want to book a business or first class flight from PHX to LHR. I am not finding any nonstop in business for early May, only in economy. To be frank, some of these connections suck, with layovers for 6-7 hours.... is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?
This is completely normal with AA, they are very, very stingy with premium award availability to Europe, especially on AA metal. And May is getting into peak season to Europe, it's definitely unrealistic to expect the "perfect" award routing on the nonstop flight in business. In fact I'd consider yourself lucky if you are able to find any routing in business sAAver to LHR on AA metal that is even close to your dates, even with a 6-7 hr connection. I'd grab that now and keep checking over the coming months to see if anything better opens up.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
This is completely normal with AA, they are very, very stingy with premium award availability to Europe, especially on AA metal. And May is getting into peak season to Europe, it's definitely unrealistic to expect the "perfect" award routing on the nonstop flight in business. In fact I'd consider yourself lucky if you are able to find any routing in business sAAver to LHR on AA metal that is even close to your dates, even with a 6-7 hr connection. I'd grab that now and keep checking over the coming months to see if anything better opens up.
thanks for this. I'm wondering if any other airline is better? Do they wait until the last minute to release flights? I've never flown business or first class before, except domestic flights.

Last edited by JY1024; Feb 5, 2019 at 9:46 pm
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks for this. I'm wondering if any other airline is better? Do they wait until the last minute to release flights? I've never flown business or first class before, except domestic flights.
AA has all sorts of random award space release patterns. If you can book 10-11 months out, then you might find a few seats here and there. In the peak summer season to Europe, availability between about 10 months out to 1 month out is generally pretty terrible, which is exactly when you're looking now. AA sometimes releases random batches of premium award space, its always completely unpredictable and tends to be gobbled up pretty quickly. Once you get within a month, you might see a few more seats open up, but again it's unpredictable and traveling in May peak season will hurt your chances (if you were traveling in Sep-Nov or Jan-Mar then your chances would be much better of last minute space opening up).

As to other airlines, you will typically see a lot more first and business award space on BA to LHR, but of course this comes with the ripoff fuel surcharges. If you can get any United miles, availability is generally much better using UA in premium cabins to/from Europe as there are tons more options using *Alliance.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:55 am

thank you! I have quite a few points, but not as much knowledge regarding booking business flights to europe. I read that lufthansa is great for last minute as well. I guess I could always chance it and get a economy flight at the last minute if things dont work out.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thank you! I have quite a few points, but not as much knowledge regarding booking business flights to europe. I read that lufthansa is great for last minute as well. I guess I could always chance it and get a economy flight at the last minute if things dont work out.
If you are ok with economy class as your fall-back option, then you're much better off to book that now. Assuming your origin and destination don't change, switching from an economy class award to a business class award is a no-fee change. So book a good economy sAAver routing now to get something nailed down, then keep an eye on things, if you do find a business sAAver you can call AA and switch for no fee, just the additional miles.
JDiver and elhombre like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.