Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Nile_US
In the SWU giveaway thread, some people say make sure you have "conformable space". Does that mean they want to check availability? If yes, how do I check that? I don't have expertflyer.
The SWU donor wants to feel assured the SWU will actually be used, rather than merely waitlisted and lost. Confirmable upgrade space could be ascertained by using ExpertFlyer (which offers free trials) or by calling AA.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
The SWU donor wants to feel assured the SWU will actually be used, rather than merely waitlisted and lost. Confirmable upgrade space could be ascertained by using ExpertFlyer (which offers free trials) or by calling AA.
I completely understand. But, if I call AA and say I know someone who is willing to donate his/her SWU to me, will that be a problem? How do I get that information from AA without violating any policies, if any?

Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Nile_US
I completely understand. But, if I call AA and say I know someone who is willing to donate his/her SWU to me, will that be a problem? How do I get that information from AA without violating any policies, if any?

Thanks.
You're not violating any policies by calling AA and asking if there is upgrade space, and it is perfectly fine for members to donate SWUs to anyone they choose.
JDiver and Nile_US like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You're not violating any policies by calling AA and asking if there is upgrade space, and it is perfectly fine for members to donate SWUs to anyone they choose.
Thanks for the quick response.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:18 pm

PHX-ORD Business Class Seats

Hello, I usually only read the BA forum, so please excuse my ignorance in this forum. Is there a thread here that would show what kind of seats AA has in business class on flights from PHX-ORD? I was able to use some Avios to book a round trip flight in business this summer and just wondered what the seating was like. Thank you in advance. (I did try to search and couldn’t find a thread about this. I believe the plane will be a 737.)
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Steph G.
Hello, I usually only read the BA forum, so please excuse my ignorance in this forum. Is there a thread here that would show what kind of seats AA has in business class on flights from PHX-ORD? I was able to use some Avios to book a round trip flight in business this summer and just wondered what the seating was like. Thank you in advance. (I did try to search and couldn’t find a thread about this. I believe the plane will be a 737.)
HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

and more specifically, for the 737 types, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...7-max-8-a.html.
Steph G. likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Do AA Gold or Platinum get their choice of Seat when flying AA Marketed but British Airways Operated flights for Basic Economy Fares ?

I read the AA disclaimer that Basic Economy must pay for seat selection but then it goes on to say that British Airways has their own rules for Seating and boarding.
It lists that as a benefit of OW Ruby or Sapphire for seat selection.

Does that apply for a companion as well if they are listed on the same PNR
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat, AA Gold
Question re: checked baggage cutoff and gate check.

have not checked baggage in over a decade, forgot the window was 45 minutes roughly for cutoff.

wasnt thinking and went to check-in counter and they auto rebooked me on standby for alter flight.

wouldnt it have been easier to just Gate check luggage? Flight and connection were both light loads.

Thinking getting pushed back to a alter standby flight wasn’t worth it.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Flyertalker1
Question re: checked baggage cutoff and gate check.

have not checked baggage in over a decade, forgot the window was 45 minutes roughly for cutoff.

wasnt thinking and went to check-in counter and they auto rebooked me on standby for alter flight.

wouldnt it have been easier to just Gate check luggage? Flight and connection were both light loads.

Thinking getting pushed back to a alter standby flight wasn’t worth it.
If your bag would have made it through TSA (i.e. small enough to fit through the x-ray and no large liquids) then yea, you could have easily gone straight to the gate and check-it there to bypass the 45 minute cutoff.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC
Hi, I cant find how many miles a Premium cabin flight would earn, is there a chart or equation anywhere please?
It's specifically for LAX-AKL return for a newbie, no AAdvantage membership, miles or anything (yet) it's usually Delta.
Thanks
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JockBossBob
Hi, I cant find how many miles a Premium cabin flight would earn, is there a chart or equation anywhere please?
It's specifically for LAX-AKL return for a newbie, no AAdvantage membership, miles or anything (yet) it's usually Delta.
Thanks
If you signup for an AAdvantage account and login while doing the booking. It will display everything just before coming to the payments page.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Shadowfactor
If you signup for an AAdvantage account and login while doing the booking. It will display everything just before coming to the payments page.
Of course, it's also possible to credit AA flights to some other FFP, like BA or Iberia. The aa.com website shows the mileage accrual rates for each of AA's partner airlines.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:19 am

Thanks

First, you can see AA miles accrual here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

You can learn about accrual on AA and partners here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html

And you can learn how to earn AA Gold or Platinum Elite status via a Status Challenge shortcut here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ge-2017-a.html

Be sure to read the Wikiposts at the top of the page in the two FlyerTalk threads.

Youncan see fairly accurately the miles flown here: Great Circle Mapper
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by JDiver
First, you can see AA miles accrual here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp
Ah, got it, thanks folks - from that link it appears that miles earned are based solely on the $$$'s spent, not the miles flown nor the cabin class, pity. I was demented searching for that last night, Thanks.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:57 am

Ah, got it, thanks folks - from that link it appears that miles earned are based solely on the $$$'s spent, not the miles flown nor the cabin class, pity. I was demented searching for that last night, Thanks.
Flying AA on a normal (not special, e.g. AA Vacations, etc. - you might check AA Vaca to determine if you’d save significantly using them for at least three hotel overnights) fare, EQD are based on your base fare plus carrier imposed fees.

EQ Miles are earned based on distance (miles flown) and fare class.

Award miles are based on passenger status and dollars spent, again base fare and carrier imposed fees.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.