Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by shimps1
A question of opinion for the ORD lounge regulars here. I have asked this somewhat indirectly before, but would like a couple opinions.

I have DSM>ORD on one ticket, in economy, connecting to ORD>DOH, on a separate ticket, in J. I arrive ORD at 2:04PM and depart at 6:10PM. Since I am in international J, I have the option to use the Flagship lounge. However, I will need to leave the secure area, collect my bags, go to T5 check in with QR, then head back to T3, go through security assuming they let me, and then access the lounge. Then I would have to get back to T5 for my flight. Given I have a significant amount of time, is that effort worth it? Or should I use the T5 lounge that QR contracts, I think it is the Air France one? I also have Priority Pass that I can use.
The problem with ORD at the moment is that the landside train between T3 and T5 is shut down with the only option being shuttle buses.

So basically you need to claim your bags at T3, take the shuttle to T5, check in with QR, take the shuttle back to T3, clear security, use the Flagship Lounge, then leave with enough time to take the airside shuttle back to T5. I haven't used it yet however from reports on here the airside shuttle is less than reliable.

I have a similar connection to QR in 3 weeks at ORD and contemplating the same thing. However I'm leaning towards just chilling in T5 once I get there, to me it's much more relaxing to have 2.5 hrs in a lesser lounge than 30 mins in a nicer lounge but with tons of back and forth hassle and shuttle bus uncertainty.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:59 pm

If an award ticket is issued for a non-status passenger using miles from an EXP's AAdvantage account and if that ticket is subsequently canceled, are there any fees for re-depositing those miles?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by puchong
If an award ticket is issued for a non-status passenger using miles from an EXP's AAdvantage account and if that ticket is subsequently canceled, are there any fees for re-depositing those miles?
Nope, no fee to cancel and redeposit miles for any award that comes from an EXP's account.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:32 pm

Hi All,

For flights operated by BA with AA code-share? Do I get less EQD/EQM if I book a ticket on BA.com vs AA.com?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justsawaufo
Hi All,

For flights operated by BA with AA code-share? Do I get less EQD/EQM if I book a ticket on BA.com vs AA.com?
With AA it doesn't matter at all where you book it, all that matters is what flight number you're booked on. So an AA codeshare operated by BA will earn the exact same EQM/EQD if purchased at BA.com as AA.com.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
With AA it doesn't matter at all where you book it, all that matters is what flight number you're booked on. So an AA codeshare operated by BA will earn the exact same EQM/EQD if purchased at BA.com as AA.com.
So if one itinerary says:

British Airways 231London (LHR)3:50pmTerminal: 5Washington (IAD)7:15pmCabin: Business (I)
8h 25m duration

and the other:
6167 American AirlinesOperated by British Airways

then 6167 American AirlinesOperated by British Airways will earn more EQD/EQMs right?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justsawaufo
So if one itinerary says:

British Airways 231London (LHR)3:50pmTerminal: 5Washington (IAD)7:15pmCabin: Business (I)
8h 25m duration

and the other:
6167 American AirlinesOperated by British Airways

then 6167 American AirlinesOperated by British Airways will earn more EQD/EQMs right?
EQM earning will be the same between AA and BA ('I' booking codes earn 2x EQM on both).

EQD earning will depend entirely on what the fare is as to which will earn more. An 'I' fare on a BA flight number earns 25% flight distance as EQD (so ~3677mi x 25% = $919 EQD). On an AA flight number you will earn whatever the fare actually is. If the base fare + carrier surcharges is $2000, then you'd earn $2000 EQD, and so on.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:16 am

Upgrade procedures

As I was walking through the cabin to my seat, I saw few open seats in first and that got me wondering about the upgrade availability, so I went to expert flyer. This is what I saw:

AA2: F5 A4 J1 D1

Doesnt this mean there are 5 seats available in first for upgrades?

Why werent people upgraded or does it just not show up?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goose240
As I was walking through the cabin to my seat, I saw few open seats in first and that got me wondering about the upgrade availability, so I went to expert flyer. This is what I saw:

AA2: F5 A4 J1 D1

Doesnt this mean there are 5 seats available in first for upgrades?

Why werent people upgraded or does it just not show up?
That means there were 5 available seats in First (F5) with 4 available for upgrades (A4). For 3 class flights like this, upgrades to first class are only available for those that purchased business and only using a SWU or miles/copay (i.e. there are no "free" elite sticker upgrades from J to F). So it's entirely probable and likely that the few upgrade requests had already been processed and F would go out with empty seats (or non-revs).
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Nope, no fee to cancel and redeposit miles for any award that comes from an EXP's account.
Sorry for jumping in but have a related query. Is the time of the status determining the waiver the one at the time of ticketing the award or at the time of the cancellation? I assume the latter - is that correct?

In other words is the fee waived for an EXP making the reservation (for someone else) and calling to cancel even if by that time he is now down to PLAT? And how about a PLAT ticketing the award for someone else and then cancelling when she is now EXP?

Last edited by wobbly wings; Jan 23, 2019 at 4:11 pm Reason: Added a sentence to clarify.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wobbly wings
Sorry for jumping in but have a related query. Is the time of the status determining the waiver the one at the time of ticketing the award or at the time of the cancellation? I assume the latter - is that correct?

In other words is the fee waived for an EXP making the reservation (for someone else) and calling to cancel even if by that time he is now down to PLAT? And how about a PLAT ticketing the award for someone else and then cancelling when she is now EXP?
All that matters is your status at the time you call to cancel/redeposit. If you're EXP then then no fee, doesn't matter what your status was when you booked the ticket.
wobbly wings likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Convert 500 mile upgrades to miles?

Does AA still offer you the option to convert unused 500 mile upgrades to miles? Does one have to call to do that or is it automatic? Two of my family members got the offer to upgrade to Platinum thru May 2019 and it came with 20 upgrades.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by gardener
Does AA still offer you the option to convert unused 500 mile upgrades to miles? Does one have to call to do that or is it automatic? Two of my family members got the offer to upgrade to Platinum thru May 2019 and it came with 20 upgrades.
Nope.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:21 pm

I cannot find mention of this anywhere on the net, yet I cannot truly believe that it has not come up yet if it is in fact a "thing", so posting here...

Last couple times thru MIA I have been seated in an exit row. At the gate, in addition to the verbal acceptance of exit row requirements, I have been required to scan my BP a second time. The GA this last time noted that this is something that has been done at MIA for "at least three years".

I have not encountered this anywhere else...if it pertains to exit row seating, presumably it would be for regulatory compliance and thus not just specific to any single airport. Has anyone else run into this? I fee like I am crazy.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
In the SWU giveaway thread, some people say make sure you have "conformable space". Does that mean they want to check availability? If yes, how do I check that? I don't have expertflyer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.