Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SussexFly
Having never flown AA before, let alone AA Business, what the dress code? I.e formal wear as it business, smart casual, or just anything?
Ive walked into business cabins on other airlines and been scowled at for wearing shorts and t-shirt, even in the Caribbean!
On a night flight you may even want to change into something comfortable like pajamas to make the most of the opportunity to sleep. I have only flown AA to STX and SJU but many first/business class passengers wear shorts and gaudy shirts. I have not noticed if the remainder scowl!
SussexFly likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
Your dress code is the dress code. Its your ticket, your seat, your clothing. Be comfortable, or not; its your choice. If someone wishes to scowl, thats their problem.

You will have Flagship Lounge (near D30, iirc) lounge access and on arrival you can stop by the Arrivals Lounge (closes at 2 pm, after immigration and customs on the second floor - look for signs) for breakfast, a shower, even have your clothes pressed.
Does this apply to LHR? The OP is asking about LIR, Liberia Costa Rica. At any rate the flite from Miami arrives there after 2:00 pm
SussexFly likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rens
Does this apply to LHR? The OP is asking about LIR, Liberia Costa Rica. At any rate the flite from Miami arrives there after 2:00 pm
Oops, I didn't read past LIR = Liberia so no need for pajamas then. No arrivals lounge but colorful shirt and Bermuda shorts are fine.
SussexFly likes this.

Last edited by MADPhil; Jan 7, 2019 at 7:46 am
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA- EP, Marriott, HH
Upgrade Priority

Which has a higher upgrade priority, SWU or mileage upgrade?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro/Alaska Airlines MVP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Bonvoy Gold/Emerald Club Exec
Hi all,

Happy new year! I am loyal to AA and mostly travel domestically in the USA and frequently enough that I'd like to buy a lounge membership this year since I enjoy the experience and frankly it's worth it to me. I would consider the Citi credit card that grants access but as I see it, the annual fee is $450 each year no matter what which brings me to my question- it seems that, per their site T&C, Alaska Lounge annual memberships are $450 with reciprocity to Admirals Clubs globally? I understand that you may not get the international, partner lounge access overseas that Admirals Club may grant you but again, I travel almost exclusively domestically. Given Alaska Lounge's reciprocity with Admirals Club, this would seem to me to be a legitimate way to gain access to Admirals Clubs domestically while paying $450 for this year's membership rather than $550 (or $650 once the fee increases)?

Has anyone heard of Alaska Lounge members being turned away from Admirals Clubs domestically or having their membership be inferior in some way? It would only be worth it to me if my Alaska Lounge membership would be treated as good as an Admirals Club one (I can deal with a glare or snide comment from the reception desk as long as I get in haha)

Thank you!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:34 am

Programs: aa, ua 1k
Charge to cancel and redeposit miles for an AnyTime business award

I have no status. Can I cancel my AnyTime and have my miles redeposited into my account and what is the fee?
-Thanks
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ClayPot
I have no status. Can I cancel my AnyTime and have my miles redeposited into my account and what is the fee?
-Thanks
Yep, $150 for the first award redeposited to your account, and $25 for each additional award redeposited to the same account at the same time.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by carmelsown
Hi all,

Happy new year! I am loyal to AA and mostly travel domestically in the USA and frequently enough that I'd like to buy a lounge membership this year since I enjoy the experience and frankly it's worth it to me. I would consider the Citi credit card that grants access but as I see it, the annual fee is $450 each year no matter what which brings me to my question- it seems that, per their site T&C, Alaska Lounge annual memberships are $450 with reciprocity to Admirals Clubs globally? I understand that you may not get the international, partner lounge access overseas that Admirals Club may grant you but again, I travel almost exclusively domestically. Given Alaska Lounge's reciprocity with Admirals Club, this would seem to me to be a legitimate way to gain access to Admirals Clubs domestically while paying $450 for this year's membership rather than $550 (or $650 once the fee increases)?

Has anyone heard of Alaska Lounge members being turned away from Admirals Clubs domestically or having their membership be inferior in some way? It would only be worth it to me if my Alaska Lounge membership would be treated as good as an Admirals Club one (I can deal with a glare or snide comment from the reception desk as long as I get in haha)

Thank you!
Under certain circumstances, Admirals Club members access Alaska lounges. But Im guessing not too many of us here are as familiar with Alaskas policy as in the Alaska forum.

But Ive never experienced or observed a person with lounge access denigrated or poked fun at because their access was because of a reciprocity agreement or any reason, unless they were trying to bluff their way in without genuine access.

For AA, the Executuve Card is a less expensive way to gain full Club membership, including reciprocal access to Alaska and some other lounges.
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
I booked award travel one way from MCO - SOF. Coming back when I tried to book a multi-city SOF - LHR and then LHR to MCO, obviously with a stopover in LHR, I could not get the milesaver award from LHR to MCO.
So I booked a one way from LHR - MCO. So I now have two one way awards. MCO - SOF and LHR to MCO. Will it violate any rules for me to book an award trip from SOF to LHR? Or should I pay cash to travel on BA from SOF to LHR in the middle of the two one way award bookings?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Ceres
I booked award travel one way from MCO - SOF. Coming back when I tried to book a multi-city SOF - LHR and then LHR to MCO, obviously with a stopover in LHR, I could not get the milesaver award from LHR to MCO.
So I booked a one way from LHR - MCO. So I now have two one way awards. MCO - SOF and LHR to MCO. Will it violate any rules for me to book an award trip from SOF to LHR? Or should I pay cash to travel on BA from SOF to LHR in the middle of the two one way award bookings?
ALL AA awards are one way; even what appears to be a round trip on one PNR is actually two one way awards. You can book SOF-LHR any way you wish, just give yourself plenty of connection time at LHR.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JDiver
ALL AA awards are one way; even what appears to be a round trip on one PNR is actually two one way awards. You can book SOF-LHR any way you wish, just give yourself plenty of connection time at LHR.
Thanks, when I tried the SOF to LHR to MCO with the stopover in LHR. The saver awards on AA metal disappeared. Must be part of that married logic stuff you guys keep talking about.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: American and United
Upgrade

I will be using my AA miles for an economy ticket x 2. After I purchase using miles, can I buy an up grade into premium economy?

Will
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by c2183rdcav
I will be using my AA miles for an economy ticket x 2. After I purchase using miles, can I buy an up grade into premium economy?

Will
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Generally, no. The usual way to upgrade is to actually exchange for an award in the higher class of service. AA doesnt charge redeposit or change fees for that.

And unfortunately, AA currently doesnt offer Premium Economy awards. Some of us believe that will change toward the end of the year, when all AA widebodies (other than the retiring A330-300 and 767 aircraft) are retrofitted with PE.

Theres a chance cash upgrades might be offered the day of departure at the counters or kiosks.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ceres
Thanks, when I tried the SOF to LHR to MCO with the stopover in LHR. The saver awards on AA metal disappeared. Must be part of that married logic stuff you guys keep talking about.
How long in LHR were you trying for? AA does not allow stopovers onwards. The most you can have is 23:59 transit. (may just be terminology re stopover layover transit)
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:08 pm

I did do a search (maybe not well), but has anyone actually compared the bulkhead to non-bulkhead seats in PE for AA. Seatguru always cautions them for having no underseat storage. However I can't siphon through any more distinguishers or people who made a direct comparison.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.