Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Daylight saving change issues?
What date?
Train from CDG/Paris to where?
we are arriving in CDG on June 22. Taking a train to Avignon.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Schedules say arrival is 0930. Actual arrival can be affected by winds aloft. See below.

If you’re just going to Paris, buy a ticket from the kiosks.
right! Thank you . Scheduled arrival is 0930. But as you can see the actual times vary from 0645 to 0815. I searched and almost all of that flights arrived within that window. I could not find any arriving at the scheduled 0930 time. I was curious if anyone has seen anything like this where the scheduled time is so much later than the actual arrival time? (Given the history of the flights). I’m aware the winds will effect but a two hour window seems large. Heck I will be happy to arrive early!

We sre headed to avignon... so tickets are much cheaper to buy well in advance. So that two hours makes a large difference in train times.
Thanks for your reply
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kjlyttle
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Daylight saving change issues?
What date?
Train from CDG/Paris to where?
We are arriving in CDG on June 22. Taking a train to Avignon.
Looking on AA.com for departing June 21 MIA CDG AA62 arrives 09:30 (18:35 - 09:30)
https://www.aa.com/booking/flights/c...3397867430-992
But worth checking from time to time. Schedules can change.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 23, 2019 at 9:37 pm
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by kjlyttle

right! Thank you . Scheduled arrival is 0930. But as you can see the actual times vary from 0645 to 0815. I searched and almost all of that flights arrived within that window. I could not find any arriving at the scheduled 0930 time. I was curious if anyone has seen anything like this where the scheduled time is so much later than the actual arrival time? (Given the history of the flights). I’m aware the winds will effect but a two hour window seems large. Heck I will be happy to arrive early!

We sre headed to avignon... so tickets are much cheaper to buy well in advance. So that two hours makes a large difference in train times.
Thanks for your reply
Avignon. Ah, how nice. Be sure to buy direct from the SNCF site, not raileurope.com.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by SJWarrior
I have award tickets booked that are well into the future. If there is a change in say time or equip, will they notify me or will I have to notice it on my own?
You should be alerted if there is a material change in schedule, but it is a good idea to take a look at the itinerary periodically if your flights are a ways out. Equipment changes will probably not generate a notification unless they need to downgrade or request to move you to another flight (so AA is not likely to call just to tell you seat assignments were lost/changed).
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
If you clear the upgrade/standby lists but aren't at the gate, what happens?

What happens if you clear the upgrade or standby list but aren't at the gate to pick up a new boarding pass when the agent calls your name:

1. Does your seat automatically change in the AA app, so you get the new seat and don't need to do anything more (i.e., if you're hoping to go standby or clear the upgrade list, it doesn't matter if you're at the gate or not),

OR

2. Do you get a new seat only if you come to the podium when the gate agent calls your name (i.e., if you're not at the gate, you'll lose your upgrade or standby seat)?

I'm not new; I've been flying AA and US for 20+ years. However, I can't tell what happens in this situation. Sometimes I go standby on an earlier flight, and as I'm in flight on the earlier flight, I check the AA app and see that I've cleared the upgrade list on my original flight and my seat has changed--even though I'm no longer on that flight.

Thanks.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
What happens if you clear the upgrade or standby list but aren't at the gate to pick up a new boarding pass when the agent calls your name:

1. Does your seat automatically change in the AA app, so you get the new seat and don't need to do anything more (i.e., if you're hoping to go standby or clear the upgrade list, it doesn't matter if you're at the gate or not),
In my experience, the dynamics of getting the flight out on time and presence of other anxious/eager/vocal passengers yet to clear the standby/upgrade lists means that gate agents will be looking for you and may give your seat to another passenger as flight time gets closer. Don't think you have to be at the gate right when boarding starts, but wouldn't try to be the last one to board either just because the app shows a new seat assignment. There will likely be paper boarding pass for you, so it's a good confirmation step to stop at the gate desk and pick it up.
ibrandsguest likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

OR

2. Do you get a new seat only if you come to the podium when the gate agent calls your name (i.e., if you're not at the gate, you'll lose your upgrade or standby seat)?

I'm not new; I've been flying AA and US for 20+ years. However, I can't tell what happens in this situation. Sometimes I go standby on an earlier flight, and as I'm in flight on the earlier flight, I check the AA app and see that I've cleared the upgrade list on my original flight and my seat has changed--even though I'm no longer on that flight.

Thanks.
It can go either way. #1 is the way things should work, and the way they do work most of the time IME.

However, there have been plenty of examples on here over the years of rogue GAs that skip over people on the upgrade list if they're not present at the gate when they call their name. Complete garbage and takes value away from having lounge access if you have to worry that if you're not at the gate an hour before the flight you might get skipped.

As with everything AA these days, YMMV depending on the employee you have to deal with.
JDiver and ibrandsguest like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey

However, there have been plenty of examples on here over the years of rogue GAs that skip over people on the upgrade list if they're not present at the gate when they call their name. Complete garbage and takes value away from having lounge access if you have to worry that if you're not at the gate an hour before the flight you might get skipped.
The bartenders in the AC at LAX are likely in cahoots with these rogue GAs...they always insist you have time for one more drink before heading to the gate.
ibrandsguest likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I'm flying on AA 50 this Tuesday DFW-LHR in premium economy. I purchased a round trip PE ticket back in November and am currently wait listed for an upgrade to business via an SWU provided by a good friend who is a top tier elite with AA. However, it sure looks like this flight may be full in the business cabin. AA 50 was also listed as sold out in J on 3/26 as recently as yesterday. Then checking aa.com earlier today, one seat had become available for sale in business. So I called AA res to inquire if I might be able to pay for an upgrade into J as it appears my wait listed SWU upgrade will probably not clear. The nice agent on the phone was not sure if this could be done and I was placed on hold for awhile while she checked in to this. She then stated that the upgrade for which I was willing to pay for would not be possible even though a seat is available in business. And when I asked why, I did not get much in the way of a definitive answer. BTW, I am already upgraded to business on the return LHR-DFW as well as being already upgraded to first DFW-LFT. Any thoughts concerning why AA is unable to upgrade me to J when yours truly is prepared to pay for the privilege?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Thumbs down Do I Have Any Redress option(s)

Good morning all. This is my first post, and pardon me for trying to fit in multiple issues/questions all at once!
In any case I recently flew with family for Spring break, and used the opportunity to redeem my 2 companion certificates. The original itinerary was return SGF-ORD-LAX. On the morning of our return, I received a text message that the ORD-SGF leg had been canceled (due to some vague ATC problem), and my options were to fly out of LAX the following day (different times were offered). This was not acceptable to me for a variety of reasons besides being with 3 children under age 10. At some point from speaking to an AA customer rep, I asked if they had availability from ORD to "nearby airports" to Springfield, say within a 2-4 hour drive. They were able to have us fly into XNA, and from there we had to take an Uber for a 2.30hr ride home, at a cost of nearly $200.

On the flight from LAX to ORD, just before departing, as children are known to be somewhat inquisitive, my 9 y.o daughter found an almost full motion sickness bag. We immediately drew the attention of the crew members to this gross discovery. They apologized profusely, offered the kids free lunch, beverage, and added a miserly 2000 AA miles to my account. As I mentioned, you couldn't fault how professional and sympathetic the hostesses were.
At the end of our trip, I contacted AA to let them know about the incident (forget the grossness, but more importantly the potential health hazards associated with bodily fluids/waste). I also asked about at least getting a refund for the Uber trip fare. To my utmost surprise, I received a generic "we let you down, and promise to do better" response, and attached a $100 dollar each for the 4 of us. I was sorely disappointed, and expected them to be more responsive.
Does this seem a reasonable response/"compensation", or should I push them for more? Thanks for your time, and I look forward to being more active in the forum!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by jlemon
I'm flying on AA 50 this Tuesday DFW-LHR in premium economy. I purchased a round trip PE ticket back in November and am currently wait listed for an upgrade to business via an SWU provided by a good friend who is a top tier elite with AA. However, it sure looks like this flight may be full in the business cabin. AA 50 was also listed as sold out in J on 3/26 as recently as yesterday. Then checking aa.com earlier today, one seat had become available for sale in business. So I called AA res to inquire if I might be able to pay for an upgrade into J as it appears my wait listed SWU upgrade will probably not clear. The nice agent on the phone was not sure if this could be done and I was placed on hold for awhile while she checked in to this. She then stated that the upgrade for which I was willing to pay for would not be possible even though a seat is available in business. And when I asked why, I did not get much in the way of a definitive answer. BTW, I am already upgraded to business on the return LHR-DFW as well as being already upgraded to first DFW-LFT. Any thoughts concerning why AA is unable to upgrade me to J when yours truly is prepared to pay for the privilege?
This might be a situation of "hang up and call again" and asking to "upfare" your ticket.

OR

The seat map at AA.com is not accurate and the flight is full and the agent just was confused. I'd think that this is the reason: the online seat maps aren't necessarily accurate.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
This might be a situation of "hang up and call again" and asking to "upfare" your ticket.

OR

The seat map at AA.com is not accurate and the flight is full and the agent just was confused. I'd think that this is the reason: the online seat maps aren't necessarily accurate.
Thanks. The seat map shows five seats in J but the agent said only one business class seat was available for sale....which is what aa.com stated as well. She also said the other four seats are actually taken; they just haven't been assigned yet.

I'll call back with the "upfare" request and attempt to ascertain if the J seat really is available.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jlemon
Thanks. The seat map shows five seats in J but the agent said only one business class seat was available for sale....which is what aa.com stated as well. She also said the other four seats are actually taken; they just haven't been assigned yet.

I'll call back with the "upfare" request and attempt to ascertain if the J seat really is available.
Have you checked ExpertFlyer? A sole Business seat could be selling at a full J fare, and that would be very expensive compared to I or even D in some cases.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
Have you checked ExpertFlyer? A sole Business seat could be selling at a full J fare, and that would be very expensive compared to I or even D in some cases.
Unfortunately, I do not have an EF subscription. But I just got off the phone with a nice lady agent with AA and the "upfare" approach was the way to go.

Turns out there is one business class seat for sale on AA 50 DFW-LHR on 3/26. That's the good news. However, the fare difference in my case from PE to J is north of $4,000. As I'm now retired, that's a bit steep for my travel budget.

So my plan is to check with AA at DFW when I arrive on my connecting flight from LFT (I should arrive into DFW on Eagle about 3-1/2 hours before AA 50 is sched to depart) and see if there still might be a seat in J at a cost less than $4K+.

And any other ideas are always welcome, folks! I've only been flying with American since 1965 but continue to learn something new concerning the AAdvantage FF game on an on-going basis!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.