Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:51 am

Newbie AA question, but if I have the Exex card with citi and book an award flight with AA that is actually using Alaska, will I still be able to access the lounge past Nov 1 2019 ?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Newbie AA question, but if I have the Exex card with citi and book an award flight with AA that is actually using Alaska, will I still be able to access the lounge past Nov 1 2019 ?
Yes, because of the AA - AS lounge use reciprocity agreement, possibly except SFO.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
I'm a UA flyer and got the Gold challenge from AA and just booked a flight with them. I don't see anywhere in my reservation where they show how my EQMs and EQDs I will be earning for my flights. Is there a way I can view this information?
Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
I'm a UA flyer and got the Gold challenge from AA and just booked a flight with them. I don't see anywhere in my reservation where they show how my EQMs and EQDs I will be earning for my flights. Is there a way I can view this information?
Thanks for your help!
As you book, there’s a point at which you can see your accruals.

For now, figure from you fare class how many EQM you’ll earn flying AA as AA (AA marketed and operated) using this chart. Basically, full First if Business, 3 EQM per flown mile, discounted First or abusiness, 2 EQM. Premium Economy, 1.5 EQM, Economy 1 EQM, Basuck Economy 0.5 EQM.

EQD AA marketed and operated will be the basic fare and any carrier imposed fee, not taxes, airport and ancillary (baggage, seat, etc.) fees at $1.00 = 1 EQD. You can see that by using the refunds site to look over your receipt (you’ll require your ticket number, beginning with “001” in your case. https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

We also have threads on these topics here:

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, partner airlines 2017 on

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by JDiver
As you book, there’s a point at which you can see your accruals.

For now, figure from you fare class how many EQM you’ll earn flying AA as AA (AA marketed and operated) using this chart. Basically, full First if Business, 3 EQM per flown mile, discounted First or abusiness, 2 EQM. Premium Economy, 1.5 EQM, Economy 1 EQM, Basuck Economy 0.5 EQM.

EQD AA marketed and operated will be the basic fare and any carrier imposed fee, not taxes, airport and ancillary (baggage, seat, etc.) fees at $1.00 = 1 EQD. You can see that by using the refunds site to look over your receipt (you’ll require your ticket number, beginning with “001” in your case. https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

We also have threads on these topics here:

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, partner airlines 2017 on

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)
Thanks for this information. Wow, AA makes it difficult. My accruals are clearly listed on my receipt and reservation on my UA flights.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
I have a BUD-PHL-SEA business, then first award. I know I can access lounge in BUD but am unclear if I access lounge in PHL.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by rkh29
I have a BUD-PHL-SEA business, then first award. I know I can access lounge in BUD but am unclear if I access lounge in PHL.
Assuming that you mean BUD-PHL in business and then PHL-SEA in domestic first, then yes. You would just need to show your boarding pass in PHL but you shouldn't have any problems there!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:54 pm

I've been lurking for a few weeks as I was interviewing for my first travel job and I was trying to figure out which airline I should partner with if I was hired. It looks like this will be happening now, so I need to do more than just lurk and absorb and I need to choose an airline to start my relationship with. I think AA makes the logical sense since I will be flying out of PHL. I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction when it comes to learning about fare class codes. I've been searching the forums and I'm not finding any kind of beginner breakdown of the code system.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Rincon75
I've been lurking for a few weeks as I was interviewing for my first travel job and I was trying to figure out which airline I should partner with if I was hired. It looks like this will be happening now, so I need to do more than just lurk and absorb and I need to choose an airline to start my relationship with. I think AA makes the logical sense since I will be flying out of PHL. I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction when it comes to learning about fare class codes. I've been searching the forums and I'm not finding any kind of beginner breakdown of the code system.
Here you go!

Interpreting AA Fare Basis Codes (merged threads)

Good luck with the job interview!

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 15, 2019 at 7:51 pm Reason: Add FT thread on this topic
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:25 pm

I'll soon be traveling on an itinerary that starts with a domestic flight but connects to an international flight. The AA website says that I have to be checked in 45 minutes before departure for domestic flights and 90 for international. Do I have to abide by the 90 minute rule because I'm going abroad, or do I get the benefit of the 45 minute rule because my first flight is domestic? I can check-in online if need be, but I'll need to check a bag and my departure airport is small enough that I'd rather not be there too early.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rincon75 Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by Rincon75
If the travel is work, best to find out if your new employer has a travel policy/preferred airlines/corporate travel agent.
Where you will be going could make a big difference. PHL is only part of the travel.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by glboisvert
I'll soon be traveling on an itinerary that starts with a domestic flight but connects to an international flight. The AA website says that I have to be checked in 45 minutes before departure for domestic flights and 90 for international. Do I have to abide by the 90 minute rule because I'm going abroad, or do I get the benefit of the 45 minute rule because my first flight is domestic? I can check-in online if need be, but I'll need to check a bag and my departure airport is small enough that I'd rather not be there too early.
At a small outstation airport you definitely don't need to be there 90 mins before in this type of scenario. If you've already checked in online and just need to drop a bag, then technically you could get the benefit of the 45 min rule, although personally I would still try to allow at least 60 mins just in case.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
This is the first year I’m a Gold. I found a great deal to Iceland that includes 1 bag. Do I get an additional bag allowance as a gold or is it just 1 bag total?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TechMarauder
This is the first year I’m a Gold. I found a great deal to Iceland that includes 1 bag. Do I get an additional bag allowance as a gold or is it just 1 bag total?
One bag total. Your Gold status merely waives the fee for a first checked bag on fares that do not already include a first checked bag for free.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
BE newbie questions

I flew AA basic economy for the first time this weekend, just to see what all the fuss is about. It was DCA-ALB on a CRJ with plane-side bag check and (at DCA), mass boarding and a shuttle bus to the plane. With status I could still check a bag for free and at ALB I had early boarding. So the only downside is no seat selection and only 50% of the already measly 500 MQMs. Since the CRJ has a 2-2 configuration and the flight is 50 minutes, the no seat selection is hardly a Job-like affliction.

Here are my questions for the wise ones:
  1. On the outbound I checked in via the app ~ T-18 hours and had the option to buy a seat ($9 for front of plane, $19 for exit row). Does that always happen with a BE fare? I thought you just got what they gave you and there was no upsell option. Or is AA just that hungry for any revenue from any passenger it can get.
  2. I opted to forgo the purchase just to see what would happen, and they stuck me at the back of the plane. Exactly what I expected. Then, on the return, I didn't check in until the airport and got row 2 (this is a CRJ with no MCE). Again, is this common, even in a situation where it's a bigger jet with MCE seats? Seems like it would be egregiously unfair for a BE fare pax to check in late and grab an MCE seat instead of person on a regular economy fare who paid more but didn't purchase a preferred/MCE seat.
It was a fun experiment, but I really can't see using BE much in the future. I guess for a regional jet, < 1 hour flight, it may be useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.