Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
First thing is to look where AA flys to in Eu from NYC.
EWR is not in the list of airports AA fly from to Eu. Look at JFK & PHL
Thank you, Mwenenzi, for the links and advice.

I have been continuing trying all sorts of dates and cities, but for the most part only BA flights show up.

I found a few Finnair flights, but they went from EWR to LAX, then on to Europe.

From JFK, I get only BA flights, not AA.

From Philadelphia, the AA flights which I found all went a long route - usually to St. Louis or DFW, then on to Europe.

I am open to going to pretty much anywhere in Europe, one way in business, in roughly mid-March, from EWR or JFK (or maybe even PHL if there is something available). Is there anything else I can or should try?

Thanks again; I'm spending time on this and trying my best, but am not having success.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Hi,

I recently completed a status challenge to Exec Plat, but the flights that fulfilled the EQM requirement were on the last day of the challenge.

So naturally until those flights (majority of which were partner flights) posted I was back to being a general member. I had a flight a few days after the status challenge expired, and while I was able to avoid any baggage fees by mentioning I held higher status when I booked the flight, I now see that the miles for that flight posted as if I was a general member.

It wouldn't make too much of a difference so I'm not overly concerned, but I was curious--since AA knows that I had technically flown enough at that point to retain Executive Platinum under their terms, would they repost the miles with the elite bonus?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by muji
From JFK, I get only BA flights, not AA.

From Philadelphia, the AA flights which I found all went a long route - usually to St. Louis or DFW, then on to Europe.

I am open to going to pretty much anywhere in Europe, one way in business, in roughly mid-March, from EWR or JFK (or maybe even PHL if there is something available). Is there anything else I can or should try?

Thanks again; I'm spending time on this and trying my best, but am not having success.
There are a ton of options available.

When you go to aa.com, make sure you are using the advanced search, and at the bottom under airline filter your results to show American Airlines, not All Airlines. This will remove all of the BA clutter.

Doing that, you can then see the nice calendar of available options, which shows plenty.

For example, in March I see lots of dates with NYC-CLT-MUC available, NYC-CLT-LHR, NYC-PHL-ZRH, NYC-PHL-AMS, just to name a few. Using AA miles, it doesn't get to look any better than that.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:04 am

I did spend sometime at DFW (Flagship lounge) and I've gotta admit, it was so pathetic. QR lounge in Doha spoiled it for me. It was like comparing a five star hotel to motel 6.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
UA vs AA?

Hello AA fans,

I am a currently United/Star Alliance frequent flier, Premier 1K and all.

It doesn't look like I am going to get to renew that status for next year, so I am thinking of jumping ship for AA. I fly to Southeast Asia a lot.

I know this is subjective, but has anyone made a similar jump? Did you find things were better?

Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
Hello AA fans,

It doesn't look like I am going to get to renew that status for next year, so I am thinking of jumping ship for AA. I fly to Southeast Asia a lot.

I know this is subjective, but has anyone made a similar jump? Did you find things were better?

Thanks!
I have not done a switch from UA to AA, but if you are thinking of using CX for flights to Southeast Asia, be aware that most CX Y fare classes do not earn anything with AAdvantage. (Of course, if you book as an AA codeshare you would earn as if it were an AA flight, but those can sometimes be more expensive.)
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I have not done a switch from UA to AA, but if you are thinking of using CX for flights to Southeast Asia, be aware that most CX Y fare classes do not earn anything with AAdvantage. (Of course, if you book as an AA codeshare you would earn as if it were an AA flight, but those can sometimes be more expensive.)
Good to know about CX. Thanks for responding.

Question: if you fly QR or JL directly in J, what does that earning look like on AAdvantage compared to AA metal?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Question: if you fly QR or JL directly in J, what does that earning look like on AAdvantage compared to AA metal?
Generally, more EQD, 2.0 EQM per flown mile on JL discounted J or F fares and 3.0 for full F and J (same as AA), 1.5 EQM per flown mile in Business or First on CX. See earnings charts for all partner airlines at https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist

Originally Posted by JDiver
Generally, more EQD, 2.0 EQM per flown mile on JL discounted J or F fares and 3.0 for full F and J (same as AA), 1.5 EQM per flown mile in Business or First on CX. See earnings charts for all partner airlines at https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp
With JL J, you have to be somewhat careful with I fares since they earn only 14% EQDs (although still 2.0x EQMs). QR J earns 1.5x EQM and between 20-25% EQD depending on the fare class.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
With JL J, you have to be somewhat careful with I fares since they earn only 14% EQDs (although still 2.0x EQMs). QR J earns 1.5x EQM and between 20-25% EQD depending on the fare class.
This is already better than UA. If I fly with *A partners, I get no qualifying dollars toward status. And that is sad, because I'd rather fly 5-star airlines like NH and BR to Asia in total luxury for the same or less cost than UA.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
When you go to aa.com, make sure you are using the advanced search, and at the bottom under airline filter your results to show American Airlines, not All Airlines. This will remove all of the BA clutter.
Thank you JJeffrey for the help.

Selecting "partner airlines' from the search helped, eliminating BA results.

I could not find anything saying "Advanced Search"; but I did notice this: "Try our new award booking search". Choosing that, I ended up getting pretty much the same award options, but BA was now included.

Through the regular (non-advanced) search, I found only a few that would be good options:
EWR - CLT - MUC
LGA - PHL - ZRH
LGA - PHL - LHR

These options which came up would be too lengthy:
EWR - CLT - PHL - ZRH
EWR - CLT - PHL - AMS
EWR - ORD - PHL - AMS
EWR - ORD - DFW- FRA
EWR - CLT - DFW- FRA
LGA - STL - DFW- FRA
JFK - AUS - DFW- FRA

I appreciate your help.
In the end, I did not find as many good options as you did.
If you can, please send me any other tips you may have.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 1:23 pm

Hello AA fans,

Thanks!
I just made the jump.
Flying internationally, being a Oneworld Emerald is miles ahead of being a mere Star Alliance Gold. This alone sold the switch to me.

So overall I think it was a better move, but some things I miss about UA:
  • Booking awards with certain partners through AA is a PITA, unlike UA who'll display most partner awards online
  • SWUs can't be used on partner flights, unlike GPUs on LH/NH
  • UA is much more lax with their same-day change policy
Although that being said, with regards to PQD earning with partners on UA, you can definitely earn PQD on partner metal so long as it's an 016 ticket, in my experience.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by JMBResona
Although that being said, with regards to PQD earning with partners on UA, you can definitely earn PQD on partner metal so long as it's an 016 ticket, in my experience.
Yes, and I frequently do, but the main segment has to be UA metal to get the PQD on the whole thing.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know this is subjective, but has anyone made a similar jump?
Did you find things were better?

What is your criteria for better? Depends a lot on departure / destination airports.
You will not get free upgrades. Or cross airline upgrades
Flying Qatar QR mean going the long way
JL & CX are OW Asian airlines in that region. China Southern is an AA ff partner.
AA flys to some Asian airports
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:29 pm

Yes, and I frequently do, but the main segment has to be UA metal to get the PQD on the whole thing.
This is ultimately off topic..

But while of course it's dependent on route/carrier but it's not rare to see purely partner metal itinerary (albeit with part of it with UA flight numbers) bookable on united.com, which would grant PQD.

Regardless I still stand by my original point that I haven't regretted the switch from 1K to Executive Platinum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.