FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

JJeffrey Jan 21, 19 8:20 am

Originally Posted by shimps1 (Post 30680244)
A question of opinion for the ORD lounge regulars here. I have asked this somewhat indirectly before, but would like a couple opinions.

I have DSM>ORD on one ticket, in economy, connecting to ORD>DOH, on a separate ticket, in J. I arrive ORD at 2:04PM and depart at 6:10PM. Since I am in international J, I have the option to use the Flagship lounge. However, I will need to leave the secure area, collect my bags, go to T5 check in with QR, then head back to T3, go through security assuming they let me, and then access the lounge. Then I would have to get back to T5 for my flight. Given I have a significant amount of time, is that effort worth it? Or should I use the T5 lounge that QR contracts, I think it is the Air France one? I also have Priority Pass that I can use.

The problem with ORD at the moment is that the landside train between T3 and T5 is shut down with the only option being shuttle buses.

So basically you need to claim your bags at T3, take the shuttle to T5, check in with QR, take the shuttle back to T3, clear security, use the Flagship Lounge, then leave with enough time to take the airside shuttle back to T5. I haven't used it yet however from reports on here the airside shuttle is less than reliable.

I have a similar connection to QR in 3 weeks at ORD and contemplating the same thing. However I'm leaning towards just chilling in T5 once I get there, to me it's much more relaxing to have 2.5 hrs in a lesser lounge than 30 mins in a nicer lounge but with tons of back and forth hassle and shuttle bus uncertainty.

puchong Jan 21, 19 8:59 pm

If an award ticket is issued for a non-status passenger using miles from an EXP's AAdvantage account and if that ticket is subsequently canceled, are there any fees for re-depositing those miles?

JJeffrey Jan 22, 19 4:44 am

Originally Posted by puchong (Post 30684157)
If an award ticket is issued for a non-status passenger using miles from an EXP's AAdvantage account and if that ticket is subsequently canceled, are there any fees for re-depositing those miles?

Nope, no fee to cancel and redeposit miles for any award that comes from an EXP's account.

justsawaufo Jan 22, 19 2:32 pm

Hi All,

For flights operated by BA with AA code-share? Do I get less EQD/EQM if I book a ticket on BA.com vs AA.com?

JJeffrey Jan 22, 19 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by justsawaufo (Post 30687468)
Hi All,

For flights operated by BA with AA code-share? Do I get less EQD/EQM if I book a ticket on BA.com vs AA.com?

With AA it doesn't matter at all where you book it, all that matters is what flight number you're booked on. So an AA codeshare operated by BA will earn the exact same EQM/EQD if purchased at BA.com as AA.com.

justsawaufo Jan 22, 19 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30687505)
With AA it doesn't matter at all where you book it, all that matters is what flight number you're booked on. So an AA codeshare operated by BA will earn the exact same EQM/EQD if purchased at BA.com as AA.com.

So if one itinerary says:

British Airways 231London (LHR)3:50pmTerminal: 5http://media.expedia.com/media/conte...t/[email protected]Washington (IAD)7:15pmCabin: Business (I)
8h 25m duration

and the other:
https://www.aa.com/content/images/ca...logo-24x24.gif 6167 American AirlinesOperated by British Airways

then https://www.aa.com/content/images/ca...logo-24x24.gif 6167 American AirlinesOperated by British Airways will earn more EQD/EQMs right?

JJeffrey Jan 22, 19 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by justsawaufo (Post 30687522)
So if one itinerary says:

British Airways 231London (LHR)3:50pmTerminal: 5http://media.expedia.com/media/conte...t/[email protected]Washington (IAD)7:15pmCabin: Business (I)
8h 25m duration

and the other:
https://www.aa.com/content/images/ca...logo-24x24.gif 6167 American AirlinesOperated by British Airways

then https://www.aa.com/content/images/ca...logo-24x24.gif 6167 American AirlinesOperated by British Airways will earn more EQD/EQMs right?

EQM earning will be the same between AA and BA ('I' booking codes earn 2x EQM on both).

EQD earning will depend entirely on what the fare is as to which will earn more. An 'I' fare on a BA flight number earns 25% flight distance as EQD (so ~3677mi x 25% = $919 EQD). On an AA flight number you will earn whatever the fare actually is. If the base fare + carrier surcharges is $2000, then you'd earn $2000 EQD, and so on.

goose240 Jan 23, 19 10:16 am

Upgrade procedures

As I was walking through the cabin to my seat, I saw few open seats in first and that got me wondering about the upgrade availability, so I went to expert flyer. This is what I saw:

AA2: F5 A4 J1 D1

Doesnt this mean there are 5 seats available in first for upgrades?

Why weren’t people upgraded or does it just not show up?

JJeffrey Jan 23, 19 11:36 am

Originally Posted by goose240 (Post 30690917)
As I was walking through the cabin to my seat, I saw few open seats in first and that got me wondering about the upgrade availability, so I went to expert flyer. This is what I saw:

AA2: F5 A4 J1 D1

Doesnt this mean there are 5 seats available in first for upgrades?

Why weren’t people upgraded or does it just not show up?

That means there were 5 available seats in First (F5) with 4 available for upgrades (A4). For 3 class flights like this, upgrades to first class are only available for those that purchased business and only using a SWU or miles/copay (i.e. there are no "free" elite sticker upgrades from J to F). So it's entirely probable and likely that the few upgrade requests had already been processed and F would go out with empty seats (or non-revs).

wobbly wings Jan 23, 19 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30685232)
Nope, no fee to cancel and redeposit miles for any award that comes from an EXP's account.

Sorry for jumping in but have a related query. Is the time of the status determining the waiver the one at the time of ticketing the award or at the time of the cancellation? I assume the latter - is that correct?

In other words is the fee waived for an EXP making the reservation (for someone else) and calling to cancel even if by that time he is now down to PLAT? And how about a PLAT ticketing the award for someone else and then cancelling when she is now EXP?

JJeffrey Jan 23, 19 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by wobbly wings (Post 30691951)
Sorry for jumping in but have a related query. Is the time of the status determining the waiver the one at the time of ticketing the award or at the time of the cancellation? I assume the latter - is that correct?

In other words is the fee waived for an EXP making the reservation (for someone else) and calling to cancel even if by that time he is now down to PLAT? And how about a PLAT ticketing the award for someone else and then cancelling when she is now EXP?

All that matters is your status at the time you call to cancel/redeposit. If you're EXP then then no fee, doesn't matter what your status was when you booked the ticket.

gardener Jan 24, 19 6:28 am

Convert 500 mile upgrades to miles?

Does AA still offer you the option to convert unused 500 mile upgrades to miles? Does one have to call to do that or is it automatic? Two of my family members got the offer to upgrade to Platinum thru May 2019 and it came with 20 upgrades.

JDiver Jan 24, 19 7:49 am

Originally Posted by gardener (Post 30694362)
Does AA still offer you the option to convert unused 500 mile upgrades to miles? Does one have to call to do that or is it automatic? Two of my family members got the offer to upgrade to Platinum thru May 2019 and it came with 20 upgrades.

Nope.

arlflyer Jan 24, 19 1:21 pm

I cannot find mention of this anywhere on the net, yet I cannot truly believe that it has not come up yet if it is in fact a "thing", so posting here...

Last couple times thru MIA I have been seated in an exit row. At the gate, in addition to the verbal acceptance of exit row requirements, I have been required to scan my BP a second time. The GA this last time noted that this is something that has been done at MIA for "at least three years".

I have not encountered this anywhere else...if it pertains to exit row seating, presumably it would be for regulatory compliance and thus not just specific to any single airport. Has anyone else run into this? I fee like I am crazy.

Nile_US Jan 24, 19 2:05 pm

In the SWU giveaway thread, some people say make sure you have "conformable space". Does that mean they want to check availability? If yes, how do I check that? I don't have expertflyer.