FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

JDiver Jan 18, 2019 8:57 am

Originally Posted by zippy_sd (Post 30669633)
Am I correct in thinking that the miles/$ aren't actually charged unless/until the upgrade processes? And second question, assuming you haven't checked in for the flight yet, are these "paid" upgrades prioritized ahead of status and/or SWU upgrade requests?

Appreciate your knowledge!
-Z

From AA.com... "Before you get to the airport, requests for systemwide and mileage award upgrades are processed independently from 500-mile upgrade requests.

At the airport, upgrades requested will be prioritized in this order:
  1. Status tier (CK, EXP, PPRO, PLT, GLD, no status)

2. Upgrade type
    • Systemwide and mileage + copay upgrades
    • 500-mile upgrades on purchased tickets
    • 500-mile upgrades on award tickets for eligible status tiers
  3. Rolling last 12 month EQD spend

4. Fare booking code (highest to lowest )

5. Date/time of the request

6. Load Factor Based Upgrades (after all other upgrade requests have been fulfilled)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

shill10 Jan 19, 2019 7:13 am

Hi,

I'm arriving in Miami on a BA Business ticket, then have a 4 hour layover before a separately purchased economy flight to PLS with AA. Would like to use the showers in AA Lounge, will they let me in ? Am I better off saying I want to use it as an Arrivals Lounge ? Thanks for help

JJeffrey Jan 19, 2019 8:19 am

Originally Posted by shill10 (Post 30674376)
Hi,

I'm arriving in Miami on a BA Business ticket, then have a 4 hour layover before a separately purchased economy flight to PLS with AA. Would like to use the showers in AA Lounge, will they let me in ? Am I better off saying I want to use it as an Arrivals Lounge ? Thanks for help

Yes, by virtue of your same day LHR-MIA flight in business you will have access any of AA's lounges at MIA before your flight to PLS (hint: go to the Flagship Lounge). Since it's a separate ticket, make sure to hang on to your LHR-MIA boarding pass. You don't have to do anything special for entry, just show them both your LHR-MIA and MIA-PLS boarding passes and you'll be good to go.

shill10 Jan 19, 2019 3:49 pm

thanks very much, great news !

shill10 Jan 20, 2019 3:44 am

only other issue is the terminals at Miami - BA ticket doesn't say which terminal I arrive at and neither does the AA departure ticket to PLS - is it possible to walk airside between terminals and lounges at Miami, once I have cleared the Transfers desk ?

JJeffrey Jan 20, 2019 5:24 am

Originally Posted by shill10 (Post 30677398)
only other issue is the terminals at Miami - BA ticket doesn't say which terminal I arrive at and neither does the AA departure ticket to PLS - is it possible to walk airside between terminals and lounges at Miami, once I have cleared the Transfers desk ?

Yes, your BA flight will arrive at E and AA will depart from D most likely, these are right next to each other and connected both airside and landside.

JDiver Jan 20, 2019 8:09 am

Originally Posted by shill10 (Post 30677398)

Normally, you will process immigration at MIA and end up going through security to return airside. The USA has no transit process; ALL passengers must process immigration and customs, though DFW and MIA offer custims exceptions to those with international to international transfers IF their hold baggage is tagged with ITI tags.

So, if you’ve assured they put ITI tags on your baggage it will go through to PLS; if not, you’ll have to recover your baggage at the carousels and manage it through customs, turning it in at the baggage recheck facility exiting customs.

Here, you are landside, butthere should be a queue to your left to go through TSA security and get back airside. Then you’ll be able to proceed to the lounges.

shill10 Jan 20, 2019 8:21 am

thanks for your help

NPZ Jan 20, 2019 10:02 am

Recommendations on which lounge to visit at DFW and CDG? Also does CDG have an arrival lounge with showers?

JDiver Jan 20, 2019 10:10 am

Originally Posted by NPZ (Post 30678237)
Recommendations on which lounge to visit at DFW and CDG? Also does CDG have an arrival lounge with showers?

As indupicated in the appropriate lounge threads, DFW International terminal D visit the AMEX Centurion Lounge if you have access. It’s better than the interim premium lounge, and the D Club and Flagship Lounge are under construction. Or visit the A Club and proceed to D prior to boarding.

At CDG, there is no arrivals lounge. On departure, the Cathay lounge is usually preferred to the Admirals Club.

NPZ Jan 20, 2019 10:47 am

Thanks for your help!

dingo Jan 20, 2019 2:08 pm

Not a newbie, but my question feels like it is.

I'm trying to find a list of AA operated international flights, including the seasonal ones. The maps I find on the AA website are, frankly, garbage and not at all useful. Anyone?

Mwenenzi Jan 20, 2019 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by dingo (Post 30678968)
I'm trying to find a list of AA operated international flights, including the seasonal ones. The maps I find on the AA website are, frankly, garbage and not at all useful. Anyone?

Some here in AA forum thread--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ess-seats.html

shimps1 Jan 20, 2019 9:12 pm

A question of opinion for the ORD lounge regulars here. I have asked this somewhat indirectly before, but would like a couple opinions.

I have DSM>ORD on one ticket, in economy, connecting to ORD>DOH, on a separate ticket, in J. I arrive ORD at 2:04PM and depart at 6:10PM. Since I am in international J, I have the option to use the Flagship lounge. However, I will need to leave the secure area, collect my bags, go to T5 check in with QR, then head back to T3, go through security assuming they let me, and then access the lounge. Then I would have to get back to T5 for my flight. Given I have a significant amount of time, is that effort worth it? Or should I use the T5 lounge that QR contracts, I think it is the Air France one? I also have Priority Pass that I can use.

itsmejson Jan 21, 2019 8:10 am

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right thread. I will be planning a trip with my family of 4 to Hawaii in Oct and have never flown AA before.

I wanted to get some advice regarding being able to sit with my 7 & 4 yr old children with Basic Economy seating. On AA's
website it says "If you don't choose seats in Main Cabin or Basic Economy within 48 hours of buying tickets, we will attempt to assign children under 15 with at least one adult they're traveling with."

What is the likelihood of this actually happening? Does AA actually do a good job of seating families with children together or
should I just go ahead and pay extra to pick the seats? If I paid extra it would be an extra $90/ pp.

If AA does split me and my wife up we are ok with that, just as long as the kids sit with one of us or split between the 2 of us.

Thank you for any feedback.