FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

gardener Jun 27, 19 10:42 am

gift card purchase

I have a cc that gives 2 points per $ for "airline ticket purchase directly from the airline". Does anyone know if the purchase of AA gift cards will count? It is the World of Hyatt Visa if that matters.

Shadowfactor Jun 27, 19 11:27 am

Originally Posted by gardener (Post 31245757)
I have a cc that gives 2 points per $ for "airline ticket purchase directly from the airline". Does anyone know if the purchase of AA gift cards will count? It is the World of Hyatt Visa if that matters.

I donít have the WOH card but itís been my experience with all my Visa cards that GC will trigger travel credits and points USB Altitude Reserve isnít a broad travel category either so it should work.

i havenít tested since the AA giftcard changes though.

JJeffrey Jun 27, 19 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by gardener (Post 31245757)

This will vary from credit card to credit card, since the WOH Visa is a Chase card I'd recommend searching and/or asking over on the Chase forum where you will get much better info and datapoints.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...e-rewards-722/

MathMusic Jun 27, 19 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by meunger11 (Post 31244063)
Sorry for the delayed response, I'm having issues with my notifications. It sounds like your best bet then is to take the chance of the 12 hour later with hopes of hopping a standby flight in the interim. (Which if I understand correctly you have already opted for).

Good call on the 15hr layover in DFW avoidance, too. :) Maybe someday AA will fly direct BUF-LAS so you don't lose your mind in the double connect/saver calamity. Glad you aren't dealing with an overnight 9-12hr layover!

In the end, the dates ended up shifting and we opted for cash flights instead of rewards. The dates that we were looking ended up shifting to Mon-Wed instead of Wed-Fri. And on the new dates we needed there were just no affordable award flights at all. So we ended up booking direct flights on Air Canada out of Toronto saving $240 pp over flying out of Buffalo. With enough advance notice I have found decent deals on AA out of YYZ in the past but not in the short time frame we had for our trip.

Although I realized in hindsight that the 15 hr DFW layover would have been an interesting opportunity to hit up Six Flags Over Texas for the day (since I have season pass to local Six flags park) and will keep that in mind on future trips.

mosfet Jun 27, 19 3:13 pm

Hi there, I suspect I know the answer to this but wanted to double check as it's the last piece of my EXP plan this year.

Booking a premium economy ticket on BA that is AA metal. Will I earn per the BA EQD rate despite this being all on AA metal?

Thanks!

Mwenenzi Jun 27, 19 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by mosfet (Post 31246623)
Hi there, I suspect I know the answer to this but wanted to double check as it's the last piece of my EXP plan this year.

Booking a premium economy ticket on BA that is AA metal. Will I earn per the BA EQD rate despite this being all on AA metal?

With Oneworld marketing airline (flight number) determines ff earning, subject to an eligible operating airline.

Carl Christensen Jun 28, 19 12:13 pm

My account shows 10 500 mile upgrades. I participated in a gold challenge which went through May and ended up not flying as much as anticipated and did not use the 500 mile upgrades. Now I am back to normal status.

- are these usable or not given that it was a challenge, I'm no longer gold etc?
- if usable is there a way to do this online or does it require a phone call?

MADPhil Jun 28, 19 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen (Post 31249579)
My account shows 10 500 mile upgrades. I participated in a gold challenge which went through May and ended up not flying as much as anticipated and did not use the 500 mile upgrades. Now I am back to normal status.

- are these usable or not given that it was a challenge, I'm no longer gold etc?
- if usable is there a way to do this online or does it require a phone call?

You can only use them if you have at least gold status but they will keep as long as the account is open. When you have status you request upgrades online,

wiivile Jun 28, 19 2:06 pm

Can LEVEL by Iberia be booked with AAdvantage? (SFO-BCN)

JDiver Jun 28, 19 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile (Post 31249922)
Can LEVEL by Iberia be booked with AAdvantage? (SFO-BCN)

If you mean “Can I accrue AA miles with LEVEL?”, the answer is “no”. Only on Iberia marketed flights operated by oneworld (and affiliate) airlines, oneworld marketed flights operated by oneworld airlines (some exceptions for JL and QF marketed flights) and AA marketed flights operated by anyone.

Iberia Affiliate airlines include Air Nostrum, Iberia Express. LEVEL and Vueling are owned by IAG, but they’re not part of Grupo Iberia or oneworld.

But if the price is right, you might want to book it anyway. A nonstop SFO- BCN would beat anything requiring a couple of connections, particularly with the current AA operational meltdowns. And you can earn Avios on BA or Iberia.

If you mean “Can I book AAdvantage awards using LEVEL?”, the answer is no.

wiivile Jun 28, 19 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 31249957)
If you mean ďCan I accrue AA miles with LEVEL?Ē, the answer is ďnoĒ. But if the price is right, you might want to book it anyway. A nonstop SFO- BCN would beat anything requiring a couple of connections, particularly with the current AA operational meltdown.

No, I was wondering if I could book SFO-BCN on LEVEL with AA miles

jjjohn Jun 29, 19 1:02 pm

Try to book a one way JFK-NRT-SIN-SYD in F, they quoted me 160K miles, was it correct?
according to award chat, it showed 110K.

Mwenenzi Jun 29, 19 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by jjjohn (Post 31252586)
Try to book a one way JFK-NRT-SIN-SYD in F, they quoted me 160K miles, was it correct?

Will be 2 awards USA Asia & Asia South Pacific
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ward-chart.jsp

gnomey Jun 29, 19 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by jjjohn (Post 31252586)

110K is assuming no stopover, and no transiting through third region. (Eg, if you book QF)

But you are probably booking JAL and QF, which is why

JFK-NRT = 80K (US->Asia 1)
NRT-SIN = 30K (Asia 1->Asia 2)
SIN-SYD = 50K (Asia 2->South Pacific)
Total = 160K

Sounds right to me, you are booking 3 separate awards, because you are transiting two "third regions" (Asia 1 and Asia 2, respectively)

But you also get the benefit of stopover at each city you land and spending a few days, which is not the case in a traditional AA award booking where stopover is not allowed.

higham44 Jun 29, 19 3:12 pm

I have around 160k AA Advantage miles in my a/c. Can the better informed direct me to where I might find information that gives the 'best' use of AA miles from the UK in terms of destinations, cabin on AA and partner airlines, please?
Thanks