Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:37 am

Hello,

I need to book a flight from KTM to DEL for June 23,24 using AA miles. I've never used my miles before but I'm resorting to using it now because tickets are over $300 atm (normally, they're under $130).

how do I go about booking a flight since AA doesn't operate in KTM (or South Asia).
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:58 am

Check In

Can I check in my luggage at the Business and First section if I am gold? I will be flying on BA plane. Or do I still need to through the economy.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Anns76
Can I check in my luggage at the Business and First section if I am gold? I will be flying on BA plane. Or do I still need to through the economy.
These are the BA Bronze (OW Ruby, AA Gold) benefits: https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...ronze-benefits and this is the somewhat obscure OW page: https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits
It boils down to being able to use business check in and choose your seat(s) seven days before departure.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by The.walker
Hello,

I need to book a flight from KTM to DEL for June 23,24 using AA miles. I've never used my miles before but I'm resorting to using it now because tickets are over $300 atm (normally, they're under $130).

how do I go about booking a flight since AA doesn't operate in KTM (or South Asia).
You’d have to book an award on one of the partner airlines. Start by reading this thread: HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance - the Wikipost at the top of the page contains a lot of information.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Has anyone tried to use a same day standby on an economy web special award ticket? Looking at fares with a 12 hr+ layover and I know there should be sooner flights to standby for
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by MathMusic
Has anyone tried to use a same day standby on an economy web special award ticket? Looking at fares with a 12 hr+ layover and I know there should be sooner flights to standby for
You can chance this, but unless you're flying a route that has oddly low capacity, I would not anticipate this being very successful. What time is your layover from and until? Are you on an AA or other OW flight? I could see a 7am-7pm layover having higher odds of successfully getting a seat on standby vs say a 7pm-7am layover. The question I would ask myself is do I put myself through all the trouble of going to gate after gate, or just throwing a small party for myself in an Admirals Club or taking a nap at a hotel.

Also is there any reason you're doing this in the first place? Price? Mileage run? Hope this helped

Last edited by GlobalMatt; Jun 24, 2019 at 8:20 am
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
How to use 500 mile upgrade awards when you are not an elite?

My husband has 38 of these (no idea how he earned them) and as he has no status, I am not sure how he can best use them. We typically travel together and it would be a real treat to be up front once in awhile. I am Gold and have only 8 of these. I typically purchase basic economy fares, which cannot be upgraded, by us at any rate. Furthermore, I usually book the itinerary under my name so we have some of the perks of standing by for an earlier flights, etc. Any suggestions?

Last edited by mary_228; Jun 24, 2019 at 9:42 am Reason: grammar
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mary_228
My husband has 38 of these (no idea how he earned them) and as he has no status, I am not sure how he can use them. We typically travel together and it would be a real treat to be up front once in awhile. I am Gold and have only 8 of these. Any suggestions?
You can only use the stickers if you have status, so there's nothing really he can do with them. They never expire though, so if he ever earns status again they will be there.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by meunger11
You can chance this, but unless you're flying a route that has oddly low capacity, I would not anticipate this being very successful. What time is your layover from and until? Are you on an AA or other OW flight? I could see a 7am-7pm layover having higher odds of successfully getting a seat on standby vs say a 7pm-7am layover. The question I would ask myself is do I put myself through all the trouble of going to gate after gate, or just throwing a small party for myself in an Admirals Club or taking a nap at a hotel.

Also is there any reason you're doing this in the first place? Price? Mileage run? Hope this helped
Yeah its just the availability of the cheaper AA award flights. Looking to go BUF-PHL-LAS in a week or two, and cash prices are high. And I would rather avoid paying Anytime rates if I can.

I can see at least two other flights that I should be able to try to standby for once I get to PHL. And yes its a 7 am-6 pm layover. On the way home I see a saaver option had a 15 hr layover in Dallas, but I changed my mind on that one when I realized I would be stuck on the 1x per day DFW-BUF evening flight with no option to standby.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You can only use the stickers if you have status, so there's nothing really he can do with them. They never expire though, so if he ever earns status again they will be there.
Wow! How nuts is that? Thanks for the reply.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mary_228
Wow! How nuts is that? Thanks for the reply.
It just means that you must both have status and earn stickers in order to qualify for upgrades. Unless you are higher status in which case you do not need stickers to be upgraded but don't earn them and must buy them if you want to upgrade companions. Someone with any status qualifies for free upgrades on flight segments up to 500 miles.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM
(was going to post this in one of the Award megathreads, but couldn't decide which one to go with, so I'm posting here...feel free to drop this elsewhere if desired!)

tl;dr: If I can find award availability via a OW partner airline site, does that mean that it should be available with AA miles, or no?

Full text: I'm looking for award availability for a November or December trip to VIE (not the best place to hunt for OW, I know). SAT or AUS are my home airports, but I'm up for anything that I can get to via one leg. I'd like to do a SAAver in J, but I'd be happy with W inventory. All I really car about is the TATL portion (traveling with a 6-year-old, so comfort counts!). I can see W inventory on BA and IB, but I'm having a hard time finding any SAAver inventory on AA.com, regardless of which of the AA search engines I use. Part of my problem likely has something to do with the whole "married pairs" thing and having to guess which pair will populate. Maybe I should be hunting on ExpertFlyer, but I have never been skilled there, and I usually just find myself overwhelmed.

EDIT: I should've mentioned: I see plenty of inventory on AA with BA via LHR, but I refuse to pay the LHR toll.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maxwellh
(was going to post this in one of the Award megathreads, but couldn't decide which one to go with, so I'm posting here...feel free to drop this elsewhere if desired!)

tl;dr: If I can find award availability via a OW partner airline site, does that mean that it should be available with AA miles, or no?

Full text: I'm looking for award availability for a November or December trip to VIE (not the best place to hunt for OW, I know). SAT or AUS are my home airports, but I'm up for anything that I can get to via one leg. I'd like to do a SAAver in J, but I'd be happy with W inventory. All I really car about is the TATL portion (traveling with a 6-year-old, so comfort counts!). I can see W inventory on BA and IB, but I'm having a hard time finding any SAAver inventory on AA.com, regardless of which of the AA search engines I use. Part of my problem likely has something to do with the whole "married pairs" thing and having to guess which pair will populate. Maybe I should be hunting on ExpertFlyer, but I have never been skilled there, and I usually just find myself overwhelmed.

EDIT: I should've mentioned: I see plenty of inventory on AA with BA via LHR, but I refuse to pay the LHR toll.
It's not an LHR toll; it's a BA toll. Fly AA to LHR and BA from LHR to VIE, and you'll pay very low fees.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

Using AA miles you cannot currently book an award in premium economy on partner carriers. So that award space you see in premium economy on BA or IB can't be booked with AA miles, which is why you don't see it at aa.com.

If your dates are flexible just use the calendar search at aa.com and start plugging in city pairs. Availability is scarce but there are sAAver J seats out there. Find availability on AA metal to any city in Europe then just buy a separate ticket from there to VIE.

Just this morning I found SAAver J from RDU-PHL-ZRH, RDU-CLT-MUC, And RDU-PHL-CDG in the October/November timeframe. AMS is another option that typically has more sAAver J space than others. Happy hunting...
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm seeing two SAAver Business Class awards SAT-CLT-JFK-LHR available on Thanksgiving Day. (The SAT-CLT leg is in Coach. but the other two legs are in First/Business.) If that works for for you, put it on hold immediately, and then call AA to see if they can tack on LHR-VIE on BA the following morning. (There's plenty of SAAver award space, at least in Economy, on the BA flights.) If AA can't tack on LHR-VIE, get yourself some Avios, and book the BA flight in Economy for 7,500 Avios (or less) + ~ $25 USD per passenger.
JDiver and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.