Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
I’m headed jfk-lax-sjc. Have a 1+50 connection time in lax. If I wanted to check a bag to lax run down and get it, give it to my sister to take with her (she lives in la) can aa do that? Or would I have to check it all the way through to sjc?
AA definitely can short check your bag to LAX, the question is whether they will do it, which will largely come down to the check-in agent at JFK. With only a 1:50 connection time you might get some pushback. YMMV.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
For any credit card related questions, I'd start over in the credit card forums here at FT. Here's the Citi forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...u-rewards-739/
thanks
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I’m headed jfk-lax-sjc. Have a 1+50 connection time in lax. If I wanted to check a bag to lax run down and get it, give it to my sister to take with her (she lives in la) can aa do that? Or would I have to check it all the way through to sjc?
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AA definitely can short check your bag to LAX, the question is whether they will do it, which will largely come down to the check-in agent at JFK. With only a 1:50 connection time you might get some pushback. YMMV.
Even if an agent agreed to short check the bag, I think you'd be cutting it close with a 1hr 50min connection. LAX-SJC will be departing from the remote Eagle terminal, which requires an extra 5-10 minute bus ride (not to mention you might have to wait in line for the bus).
Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
IF you can convince the agent at check in you’re not attempting hidden city - point beyond ticketing and the bag is short checked, perhaps you can give your sister the information necessary so she can pick it up. There aren’t agents matching bag tags and receipts, and if you text her a photo of the bag and the tag number you don’t even have to retrieve it and go landslide at all.

That’s A significant “if”, IMO.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:09 pm

As an American Airlines Gold Member (status match period), if I book BASIC Economy Flight:
1. Will I get 1 checked bag when traveling internationally (BOS-MAD) and (MAD-PHL-BOS)?
2. Will my traveling companion on the same ticket reservation get 1 checked bag?
3. I hold the American Executive card, American Platinum Card and the Barclays Aviator Silver card. Will this get me any checked bag/s? What about boarding group?
4. I read the website and it says I will not be allowed to choose Preferred or Main Cabin Seats. Do I get a chance to choose seats?
5. I plan to do MAD-PHL-BOS but I probably will get off at PHL and just not travel to BOS. How bad is this idea? I have PHL-SFO connecting flight for a business meeting. MAD-BOS return is almost $500 more in BASIC ECONOMY.

This is going to be my first ever flight on AA metal. I mostly fly Alaska.

Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
As an American Airlines Gold Member (status match period), if I book BASIC Economy Flight:
1. Will I get 1 checked bag when traveling internationally (BOS-MAD) and (MAD-PHL-BOS)?
2. Will my traveling companion on the same ticket reservation get 1 checked bag?
3. I hold the American Executive card, American Platinum Card and the Barclays Aviator Silver card. Will this get me any checked bag/s? What about boarding group?
4. I read the website and it says I will not be allowed to choose Preferred or Main Cabin Seats. Do I get a chance to choose seats?
5. I plan to do MAD-PHL-BOS but I probably will get off at PHL and just not travel to BOS. How bad is this idea? I have PHL-SFO connecting flight for a business meeting. MAD-BOS return is almost $500 more in BASIC ECONOMY.

This is going to be my first ever flight on AA metal. I mostly fly Alaska.

Thanks!
Everyone in the same reservation will get one free checked bag. The bag perks across elite and credit card programs all entitle each passenger to one bag, but they do not accumulate. You can board with group 4, and your companion will likely be permitted to join you.

You can choose your own seats for a fee, or accept auto-assigned seats at check-in.

Assuming your PHL-SFO is NOT on AA, you should not have a problem. If you're booked for both PHL-BOS and PHL-SFO on AA on the same day, you may have a duplicate reservaton issue, however.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Mixed cabin

hi - how do you book mixed cabin for your traveling party on the same itinerary? Say 1 first class and 2 economy for DFW - MXP? Thx.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Andrew Wang
hi - how do you book mixed cabin for your traveling party on the same itinerary? Say 1 first class and 2 economy for DFW - MXP? Thx.
As far as I know, you can't have people in different cabins on the same itinerary; every person must be in the same cabin for a particular flight.
This is why when people traveling together want to be considered individually for upgrades, the PNR must be "split."
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew Wang
You cannot accomplish this. All passengers on a single itinerary/PNR must hold the same booking class. In your example, the F class passenger would need a separate PNR from the two economy travelers...
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
I have the AAdvantage credit card that has the free checked bag perk, but I booked an AA ticket via the Chase Ultimate Travel portal and used my Chase Sapphire Reserve card to pay for a small fee (didn't have enough points to cover all of it, so used CC). With that said, will I still be able to check a bag for free since I hold the AAdvantage credit card that has a free bag check? I do see that my AAdvantage account is correctly connected to my ticket information (I remember I was able to check bags for free in the past, but been years and I am not sure if it's still doable these days).
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:12 am
Suspended

Can anyone advise please

I am trying to find out why AA1480 returned to HNL yesterday and then flew back to LAX with same Equipment. There is nothing anywhere to explain it. The reason I wish to know is I fit to HONOLULU regularly and normally avoid the early flight to LAX. When I flew it two weeks ago we sat in the plane as there was something wrong with an engine cover. Then I saw a couple of other delays followed by an equipment change to 787. I am nit a lover of Airbus aircraft and I wondered if anyone knew any background to the recent unreliability of this service? Looking forward to 74/75 from ORD at Christmas, maybe I should look at DFW routing rather than LAX? Hoped things would get better when B757’s went... does seem to be a problem on 1480. Someone said it is a maintenance dispute but I have not seen anything. Can anyone help please?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by doss1
I have the AAdvantage credit card that has the free checked bag perk, but I booked an AA ticket via the Chase Ultimate Travel portal and used my Chase Sapphire Reserve card to pay for a small fee (didn't have enough points to cover all of it, so used CC). With that said, will I still be able to check a bag for free since I hold the AAdvantage credit card that has a free bag check? I do see that my AAdvantage account is correctly connected to my ticket information (I remember I was able to check bags for free in the past, but been years and I am not sure if it's still doable these days).
There is still no requirement to charge tickets to the Citi card to receive the baggage/boarding benefits.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by doss1
You don't have to pay for the trip with your Citi AAdvantage card in order to get the free checked bag. As long as your AA# is in the reservation then you're good to go.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
The checked baggage benefit with the credit cards is only for domestic flights, so wouldn't help you on your flight from MAD.
JDiver and dls25 like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by rjlon
I am trying to find out why AA1480 returned to HNL yesterday and then flew back to LAX with same Equipment. There is nothing anywhere to explain it. The reason I wish to know is I fit to HONOLULU regularly and normally avoid the early flight to LAX. When I flew it two weeks ago we sat in the plane as there was something wrong with an engine cover. Then I saw a couple of other delays followed by an equipment change to 787. I am nit a lover of Airbus aircraft and I wondered if anyone knew any background to the recent unreliability of this service? Looking forward to 74/75 from ORD at Christmas, maybe I should look at DFW routing rather than LAX? Hoped things would get better when B757’s went... does seem to be a problem on 1480. Someone said it is a maintenance dispute but I have not seen anything. Can anyone help please?
cancelled flight the second I booked lax to hnl same day flight

American airlines sues mechanics unions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.