Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by fls114
EQM/EQD questions...help appreciated!

1. My flight from RDU-DFW was cancelled due to weather the other day. For me to still get to Tokyo on the expected date, I was re-booked through ORD. However, AA didn't have any seats RDU-ORD available so they booked me on UA. Will I still get my EQM/EQD? This was obviously out of my control and my payment still went to AA. I'm getting so close to Plat that I don't want to miss those miles, but guessing I'm screwed here.

2. I booked this trip as RDU-DFW-NRT-HND-SYD-LAX-CLT-RDU through AA. The HND-SYD portion was on Qantas and ticketed as QF 26. Do I understand right that this means .50 EQMs? Do those take longer to post?

3. Also, likely irrelevant, but with my HND-SYD diversion to CNS, do I get credit for an extra segment?
1) You can still get miles for the RDU-ORD, when you get back send an email to customer service, or call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal reservations number). You need to request Original Routing Credit (ORC), and you can ask for the RDU-DFW-NRT to be posted if you want rather than just RDU-ORD. When you request it, do not mention anything about the reason for delay, just say your RDU-DFW was cancelled and you were rebooked through ORD on UA.

2) That all depends on what fare class you purchased. Most discount economy on QF earns at .5 EQM however higher classes earn more. You can verify at the below QF earning chart at aa.com. Partner flights typically take longer to post, though not all.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nes/qantas.jsp

3) lol, no.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
1) You can still get miles for the RDU-ORD, when you get back send an email to customer service, or call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal reservations number). You need to request Original Routing Credit (ORC), and you can ask for the RDU-DFW-NRT to be posted if you want rather than just RDU-ORD. When you request it, do not mention anything about the reason for delay, just say your RDU-DFW was cancelled and you were rebooked through ORD on UA.

2) That all depends on what fare class you purchased. Most discount economy on QF earns at .5 EQM however higher classes earn more. You can verify at the below QF earning chart at aa.com. Partner flights typically take longer to post, though not all.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nes/qantas.jsp

3) lol, no.
Super helpful. Thank you!
JDiver likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: AA Exp
I am looking into booking a TATL itinerary that in one direction is mostly AA Metal. I will probably be booking it by calling BA since it is several thousand dollars more expensive through AA, so my question is can I (try to) upgrade with miles by calling AA after I've booked it through BA?
Old May 16, 2019, 12:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by bscooter26
I am looking into booking a TATL itinerary that in one direction is mostly AA Metal. I will probably be booking it by calling BA since it is several thousand dollars more expensive through AA, so my question is can I (try to) upgrade with miles by calling AA after I've booked it through BA?
Probably not. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:12 pm

I’m asking for my dad. He has a platinum Select credit card. Can he use the lounges with this card or no?

Old May 16, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by JDiver
Thanks. I swear I've seen that page tens of times and never noticed "Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y (excluding Military or Government fares) on American". So I'd have to be booked in American Y then, which is unlikely

I'll still ring AA after I book and see if it's possible, never hurts to try
Old May 16, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Anns76
I’m asking for my dad. He has a platinum Select credit card. Can he use the lounges with this card or no?

He cannot use that card for lounge admission though it does come with some travel benefits. The "Citi/AAdvantage Executive Word Elite MasterCard" with a $450 annual fee does come with Admirals Club membership.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:44 pm

Booking Help

I want to make sure I'm looking at all of my options. I need to schedule a DFW-ICN RT Apr 9, 2020-Apr. 24, 2020 (dates flexible but this is preferred). I only have AA miles at the moment (125k AA miles).

I was looking for JAL J class seats from DFW-NRT/HND-GMP, and similar back, but Jal has basically nothing on those dates. It seems that with only AA miles my options are basically wait until 2 ish weeks before the trip for JAL J availability (120k miles RT), or do the nonstop Y class American flight from DFW-ICN? (65k miles) There is plenty of AA availability but I'd like a nicer seat if I can. Thank you for the help.
Old May 16, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by cbrog9
I want to make sure I'm looking at all of my options. I need to schedule a DFW-ICN RT Apr 9, 2020-Apr. 24, 2020 (dates flexible but this is preferred). I only have AA miles at the moment (125k AA miles).

I was looking for JAL J class seats from DFW-NRT/HND-GMP, and similar back, but Jal has basically nothing on those dates. It seems that with only AA miles my options are basically wait until 2 ish weeks before the trip for JAL J availability (120k miles RT), or do the nonstop Y class American flight from DFW-ICN? (65k miles) There is plenty of AA availability but I'd like a nicer seat if I can. Thank you for the help.
JAL J availability can certainly open up prior to 2 weeks before departure. Just keep checking back regularly. Right now, you can't even book something for 24 Apr 2020, since awards can only be booked 331 days in advance.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

cbrog9 Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by cbrog9

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
JAL J availability can certainly open up prior to 2 weeks before departure. Just keep checking back regularly.
Right now, you can't even book something for 24 Apr 2020, since awards can only be booked 331 days in advance.
Look here-->

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

JL---> AAdvantage Award using JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)
Old May 16, 2019, 5:19 pm

What drinks can I get in the Admirals Club for free? Like seriously, whenever I go to the SFO AA Club, I have no idea if the drinks are included or not. Centurion Lounge have free drinks. I'm super confused why AA Club is so bad and charges for everything. Even the snack offering is pathetic.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
What drinks can I get in the Admirals Club for free? Like seriously, whenever I go to the SFO AA Club, I have no idea if the drinks are included or not. Centurion Lounge have free drinks. I'm super confused why AA Club is so bad and charges for everything. Even the snack offering is pathetic.
House wine, Budweiser (or similar) draught, well drinks (typically all institutional brands like McCormick, but occasionally a lower-priced brand sold at retail appears). House vodka with a mixer of some sort is usually pretty safe. Anything from the soda gun is complimentary. Bottled water and sparkling wine are not.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
It is perfectly fine to ask the bartender what is the complimentary offering for beer, wine, liquor, etc.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Not that long ago, NO alcoholic beverages were complimentary at the Admirals Club.

But see here: Guide to Admirals Club Food / Snack & Beverage

Of course, the Flagship Lounges offer a greater selection, and Flagship First Dining offers the most extensive.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:07 pm

I am travelling very frequently for last 12 months. I have earned my last 500 mile bonus on Nov 27, 2018. I have earned another 50k EQM's after that. Not sure why i am not getting any 500 mile upgrades since then. What i am missing? Please help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.