FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

TWA884 Dec 1, 2019 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by LReyes66 (Post 31793595)
Dfw to HNL tomorrow.

Tons of PE seats but only 1 business class seat on 777-200. Chances getting upgraded to PE?

I haven't checked in... Need to buy 6 500miles and waiting incasw I clear. Platinum with AA

We have a thread discussing the chances of upgrade requests clearing:

Dn10 Dec 1, 2019 3:14 pm

Is there a good way to see if a SWU will clear before you buy the flight

johnbonham Dec 1, 2019 3:16 pm

DFW Admirals Club

I'm currently BA SIlver and will be taking a domestic first flight from DFW to KOA. Will I be able to access the lounge in DFW or does the domestic flight exemption apply here?

thanks

guv1976 Dec 1, 2019 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by johnbonham (Post 31793880)
I'm currently BA SIlver and will be taking a domestic first flight from DFW to KOA. Will I be able to access the lounge in DFW or does the domestic flight exemption apply here?

thanks

You will have access. The domestic-flight exemption only applies to AAdvantage elites, not to elites from other oneworld FFPs.

wrp96 Dec 2, 2019 10:15 am

Originally Posted by johnbonham (Post 31793880)

thanks

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 31793910)
You will have access. The domestic-flight exemption only applies to AAdvantage elites, not to elites from other oneworld FFPs.

Am I right that as a OWS he has access to the Flagship Lounge, not just the Admirals Clubs?

MADPhil Dec 2, 2019 10:23 am

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 31796284)
Am I right that as a OWS he has access to the Flagship Lounge, not just the Admirals Clubs?

Yes.

aztimm Dec 2, 2019 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Dn10 (Post 31793873)
Is there a good way to see if a SWU will clear before you buy the flight

Expert Flyer is probably the best way. A trial subscription is free.

The AA website used to have a message next to flights that indicated SWU's were available (you had to click to see which leg, and which class), but it sounds like that hasn't been working lately.

happyvoid Dec 2, 2019 10:43 am

I booked a aa flight using miles but I need to cancel the business class flight, will there always be a mandatory aa redeposit fee since the flight date is dec 17

JJeffrey Dec 2, 2019 10:58 am

Originally Posted by happyvoid (Post 31796386)
I booked a aa flight using miles but I need to cancel the business class flight, will there always be a mandatory aa redeposit fee since the flight date is dec 17

Unless you are EXP you have to pay the $150 award re-deposit fee to have the miles re-deposited for any award you cancel.

The only potential workaround is to just change the dates of your award to a dummy date way off in the future, then wait for a schedule change, then call AA and ask for a free re-deposit due to the schedule change.

guv1976 Dec 2, 2019 10:59 am

Originally Posted by happyvoid (Post 31796386)

The redeposit fee has nothing to do with the date of travel. Unless you booked the flight within the last 24 hours, or have AAdvantage EXP status, you are subject to the redeposit fee.

If you think that you will make the trip in the future, you can rebook the award for a future date (within one year of original ticketing date) at no charge.

happyvoid Dec 2, 2019 11:41 am

I booked the flight for myself and a friend and we are under the same reservation id but the miles are off my account, can he call in with reservation id and make the changes or would i have to call in?

Also the flight I booked is MIA to LAX on 777 so how soon can I rebook the award for future date? And what if the new award has less miles

JDiver Dec 2, 2019 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by happyvoid (Post 31796608)
I booked the flight for myself and a friend and we are under the same reservation id but the miles are off my account, can he call in with reservation id and make the changes or would i have to call in?

Also the flight I booked is MIA to LAX on 777 so how soon can I rebook the award for future date? And what if the new award has less miles

1) AA can split the PNR (assuming the awards are on the same booking now) and your friend can make the changes that are allowed. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...minal-etc.html.

2) You can rebook the award for a future date anytime you find award space. Again, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...minal-etc.html.

3) If you find an award for fewer miles, you値l have to take out a new award (and redeposit the old one痴 miles with a $150 fee unless you池e Concierge Key or Executive Platinum).

srikp Dec 3, 2019 6:40 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 31788890)
Special fares can be booked when you book through AA Vacations, usually when you book tickets paid with credit card points like Thank You Points, etc.

Other ways of booking those fares aren稚 necessarily booking via BA, etc. but booking tickets where BA etc. is the marketing carrier (e.g. a BA codeshare).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-merged.html

And some ideas perhaps from https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html

Thank you

Tugg Dec 3, 2019 9:03 am

I'm looking to book award travel to New Zealand during the fall of next year. Business class awards are pricing at 375k miles one way?! Reading the award chart, shouldn't it be 80k saver and max 195k anytime US 48 to South Pacific?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...515a9c8e13.png

JJeffrey Dec 3, 2019 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Tugg (Post 31799938)
I'm looking to book award travel to New Zealand during the fall of next year. Business class awards are pricing at 375k miles one way?! Reading the award chart, shouldn't it be 80k saver and max 195k anytime US 48 to South Pacific?

AA has had variable AAnytime rates to the South Pacific for some time now. Some of the mileage amounts are completely asinine, as you're seeing.

Marsh11 Dec 3, 2019 10:45 am

Washington to Minsk on Oneworld (as much as possible)?

Hey folks,

I suspect this may not be possible, but is there any way to fly from Washington DC to Minsk, Belarus on Oneworld? If not, is there a reasonable routing that includes OW for at least the TATL segment? I can't seem to make anything work with only 2 segments going via Frankfurt, Warsaw, or Vienna. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mwenenzi Dec 3, 2019 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Tugg (Post 31799938)

Some dedicated threads on getting to NZ-Australia. A hard route to get business class awards. Just looking for LAX-AKL restricts your options
Look at HA, TN & FJ routes. Not just AA non stop or via Aust in conjunction with QF. Or just QF via Australia. AA is going to fly LAX-CHC from Oct 2020.
For NZ also consider award to Australia (any airport) and then a paid seat to NZ (~3:30hr) on one of the many airlines that fly trans Tasman

Australia New Zealand ---->AAdvantage award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)

FJ---->FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)

QF---> AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

TN ----> AA Miles Award: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions (master thread)

guv1976 Dec 3, 2019 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Marsh11 (Post 31800364)
Hey folks,

I suspect this may not be possible, but is there any way to fly from Washington DC to Minsk, Belarus on Oneworld? If not, is there a reasonable routing that includes OW for at least the TATL segment? I can't seem to make anything work with only 2 segments going via Frankfurt, Warsaw, or Vienna. Any suggestions?

Thanks

No oneworld carrier serves MSQ:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minsk_National_Airport

If you're just looking to earn AA miles, check whether Etihad IAD-AUH-MSQ is miles-earning on AA.

One-stop options are available on a number of Star Alliance carriers.

Mwenenzi Dec 3, 2019 10:59 am

Washington to Minsk on Oneworld (as much as possible)?

Looking backwards no OW airlines flys to MSQ. But AA partner EY does, via AUH.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minsk_National_Airport

JJeffrey Dec 3, 2019 11:16 am

Hey folks,

Thanks

If you're limiting yourself to only one connection / 2 segments then there is no (reasonable) routing on oneworld carriers or partners. Yes EY serves MSQ, but only a few days a week, and flying WAS to MSQ via AUH is comically out of the way.

Using Google Flights, AY codeshares on HEL-MSQ, so I see several options such as DCA-JFK-HEL-MSQ you can book on AY. You would earn AA miles on everything but the short HEL-MSQ flight.

Otherwise, just buy an AA/oneworld flight to FRA, VIE, WAW, etc., and buy a separate ticket from there to MSQ.

Mwenenzi Dec 3, 2019 11:25 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey;31800496I
flying WAS to MSQ via AUH is comically out of way.

But this is flyertalk :cool:
Flight & train is another option
Great Circle Mapper

chunky649 Dec 3, 2019 2:49 pm

I have the Citi AA platinum master card that promises "First piece of checked luggage free on domestic flights". Based on what I read in the long rules, I don't get free checked luggage on a Canada-USA flight. Can anyone chime in? I'm prepared to go carry-on only, but it would be nice to be able to check a bag and not have to pay. The fare is basic economy and I have no status with AA.

Mwenenzi Dec 3, 2019 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by chunky649 (Post 31801405)
I have the Citi AA platinum master card that promises "First piece of checked luggage free on domestic flights". Based on what I read in the long rules, I don't get free checked luggage on a Canada-USA flight. Can anyone chime in? I'm prepared to go carry-on only, but it would be nice to be able to check a bag and not have to pay. The fare is basic economy and I have no status with AA.

Better to look / ask in the basic economy master thread---->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html
Click to open the wiki

diburning Dec 3, 2019 4:21 pm

I don't fly American often, but when I do, I sometimes get solicited for an upgrade offer at OLCI.

I was not solicited this time, and the F cabin is still for sale. Reservations can only upfare me to the fare being sold. I tried a kiosk and it didn't offer me a buy-up, and the check-in counter agent was really nice and tried to see if she could get an offer to come up, but no dice.

I was hoping that my flight would be sold out so that I could get bumped to tomorrow and try again (this is the last flight out of the day), but the agent also told me that although Y is sold out with no inventory, 97 people have not checked in yet (this is ~5 hours out).

What are my chances that I'd be able to get a buy up offer later at an airside customer service counter or at the gate if people no-show or people don't check in after the check-in window closes? I'm a larger person, and although I fit in an economy seat just fine, I was hoping that I'd be able to sit up front and take a nap without having to worry about whether I'm making my seatmate uncomfortable. (In hindsight, I really should have booked an F seat for myself, but I paid for MCE instead trying to gamble on the middle seat going out empty)

This is a domestic flight.

flyingeph12 Dec 3, 2019 7:12 pm

Hey folks,

Thanks

Finnair codeshares with Belavia on HEL-MSQ. I知 not sure you値l earn AAdvantage credit for the Belavia-operated flight, even with the AY code, but AY will sell you a DCA-MSQ ticket.

gateH15 Dec 3, 2019 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31802221)
Finnair codeshares with Belavia on HEL-MSQ. I知 not sure you値l earn AAdvantage credit for the Belavia-operated flight, even with the AY code, but AY will sell you a DCA-MSQ ticket.

There will be no advantage earnings for HEL-MSQ leg. DCA-HEL will earn according to AY table

MathMusic Dec 4, 2019 6:39 am

Originally Posted by chunky649 (Post 31801405)

No free luggage on international flights unfortunately which would include USA-Canada flights

chunky649 Dec 4, 2019 7:12 am

Originally Posted by MathMusic (Post 31803575)
No free luggage on international flights unfortunately which would include USA-Canada flights

Thats too bad... Nonetheless, I was prepared to go with carry-on only... Thanks.

guv1976 Dec 4, 2019 11:19 am

Originally Posted by MathMusic (Post 31803575)

I'm not so sure about that. See this thread from last year:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-purposes.html

CalAlumnus13 Dec 4, 2019 3:27 pm

I made PLT in 2019, and thus will have the benefits through January 31, 2021.

Will I earn 500-mile upgrades every 12,500 miles in 2020, or will I only earn them after re-qualifying for Gold in 2020?

DMPHL Dec 4, 2019 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by CalAlumnus13 (Post 31805707)
I made PLT in 2019, and thus will have the benefits through January 31, 2021.

Will I earn 500-mile upgrades every 12,500 miles in 2020, or will I only earn them after re-qualifying for Gold in 2020?

As a PLT, you'll earn 500-mile upgrades every 12,500 miles as long as you are Platinum. Every revenue flight you take while holding Gold or Platinum status will go toward earning 500-mile upgrades.

diburning Dec 5, 2019 3:02 am

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 31801764)
I don't fly American often, but when I do, I sometimes get solicited for an upgrade offer at OLCI.

I was not solicited this time, and the F cabin is still for sale. Reservations can only upfare me to the fare being sold. I tried a kiosk and it didn't offer me a buy-up, and the check-in counter agent was really nice and tried to see if she could get an offer to come up, but no dice.

I was hoping that my flight would be sold out so that I could get bumped to tomorrow and try again (this is the last flight out of the day), but the agent also told me that although Y is sold out with no inventory, 97 people have not checked in yet (this is ~5 hours out).

What are my chances that I'd be able to get a buy up offer later at an airside customer service counter or at the gate if people no-show or people don't check in after the check-in window closes? I'm a larger person, and although I fit in an economy seat just fine, I was hoping that I'd be able to sit up front and take a nap without having to worry about whether I'm making my seatmate uncomfortable. (In hindsight, I really should have booked an F seat for myself, but I paid for MCE instead trying to gamble on the middle seat going out empty)

This is a domestic flight.

I was not solicited at the kiosk, gate agent didn't bother checking before telling me no, and the last two seats went to people on the upgrade list. Oh well.

55Jack Dec 5, 2019 8:57 am

Segment run?

Hi all

I'm new to your forum but have been traveling for the last 25 years or so. I知 out of CLT, have Platinum status and would like to hit Plat Pro. My issue is I知 going to be short about 4 segments. What is the easiest way to look up cheap flights to hit my goal? I値l have the week of the 16th of December to accomplish this. Tried using Google flight search, from my phone, and ran into difficulties with the multi city search function.

TIA!
Jack

peaches070 Dec 5, 2019 9:02 am

Originally Posted by 55Jack (Post 31808337)
Hi all

I'm new to your forum but have been traveling for the last 25 years or so. I知 out of CLT, have Platinum status and would like to hit Plat Pro. My issue is I知 going to be short about 4 segments. What is the easiest way to look up cheap flights to hit my goal? I値l have the week of the 16th of December to accomplish this. Tried using Google flight search, from my phone, and ran into difficulties with the multi city search function.

TIA!
Jack

I usually would look for the cheapest roundtrip ticket out of CLT (same-day return if you don't want to overnight) or cheapest one-way to other hubs and hop around until you make your way back to CLT.

cheaptom Dec 5, 2019 10:27 am

I have another question about refunds please, if anyone can help with these specifics. First time using AA miles to purchase BA flights TATL. I've always avoided that, but this time I had to due to an inflexible schedule and limited miles. I paid the fuel surcharge to get sAAver award space.
My question is about refunds. Assuming sAAver seats open up on AA metal same itinerary (it's LAX-LHR-FCO), can I re-book onto the AA metal and get the BA surcharge refunded? From what I see, there might be a fee to do this, but it will be worth paying to recoup some of that surcharge.

Also,if we pay BA in advance to select our seats, is that part refundable if we switch to AA flights?

Thank you.

wrp96 Dec 5, 2019 10:37 am

Originally Posted by cheaptom (Post 31808731)
I have another question about refunds please, if anyone can help with these specifics. First time using AA miles to purchase BA flights TATL. I've always avoided that, but this time I had to due to an inflexible schedule and limited miles. I paid the fuel surcharge to get sAAver award space.
My question is about refunds. Assuming sAAver seats open up on AA metal same itinerary (it's LAX-LHR-FCO), can I re-book onto the AA metal and get the BA surcharge refunded? From what I see, there might be a fee to do this, but it will be worth paying to recoup some of that surcharge.

Yes you can rebook onto AA metal and get the BA surcharge refunded. Somebody else will have to let you know if there is a fee for doing it or not.

Also,if we pay BA in advance to select our seats, is that part refundable if we switch to AA flights?

Thank you.
BA seat fees are not refundable if you voluntarily change off the flight (or to another class of service on the same flight). So I would hold off paying seat booking fees if you are hoping to switch to AA.

JJeffrey Dec 5, 2019 10:52 am

Originally Posted by cheaptom (Post 31808731)

Thank you.

To add to the above, there is no fee to switch your award from BA to AA, assuming the origin and destination remain the same.

cheaptom Dec 5, 2019 10:54 am

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 31808764)
Yes you can rebook onto AA metal and get the BA surcharge refunded. Somebody else will have to let you know if there is a fee for doing it or not. BA seat fees are not refundable if you voluntarily change off the flight (or to another class of service on the same flight). So I would hold off paying seat booking fees if you are hoping to switch to AA.

Very helpful, thank you.
Love those upper-deck seats on the BA 388s, but you're right and it makes far more sense to wait. Lots of time.

wiivile Dec 5, 2019 2:00 pm

Is it a violation of any of AA's terms to do an AAdvantage hold every 5 days as long as the availability is still there? Has this historically been considered considered abuse?

Semphyra Dec 5, 2019 2:23 pm

Hi, I want to buy a Sonos soundbar while I’m the US.

Can I travel with the box as my carry-on?